Comic Storage Boxes - oww!!!

zwixxxzwixxx Posts: 10,295
Forum Member
✭✭
Moving soon and have a shed load of comic storage boxes full of (spoilers) comics.

Lifting and moving them one by one is fine, but >1 and those hand holes are going to be killer on me fingers (if you've tried lifting >1 then you should know what I mean). :(

Any solutions out there like stickable padding or something else that you've tried that has worked wonders would be most appreciated. :)

Comments

• LightningIguanaLightningIguana Posts: 21,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never had to shift loads but... gardening gloves?
  • mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd never shift more than one at a time, even the shorties. (When we moved in here I think I was up to 8 long and 3 short boxes... fun times...)

Gardening gloves aren't a bad idea, though. Anything else could risk damaging the comics
  • zwixxxzwixxx Posts: 10,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm thinking of the moving mens hands not my own (hopefully) cos when I moved in they were carrying the smallies 3 at a time, when there was me struggling along with just one (I'm such a wuss).
    And as for damaging the comics - I've created space for fingers either end of the box by sandwiching the comics between a couple of layed down dvds - so they should be able to get their fingers inside without damaging the contents.

Going to have 20+ smallies/smallie plus sizes.

And since this move has been arranged cos the landlord is replacing the kitchen and bathroom and heating, this move will be repeated back again about 2 weeks later - fun times ahead.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If removal men are dealing with it then leave it to them - it's their job and many of them wear gloves as standard nowadays anyway.

(I've got the small format Wizard mags at either end of my comic boxes to help protect the end comics :D)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You're probably right, though the batch of comic boxes I just must have come from a hinky template cos (you'll know what I mean as you've put them together) the hand-holes don't line up, so instead of a double dose of double cardboard to finger, you've just got a single dose cos the inside ones are too short - which enhances the owwwie effect - so I'll just do some clinical hacking with a craft knife and let the gloved movers do their business. - darn it, shoulda stopped collecting when NewDC52 started, was the perfect time n'all.

btw: old cassette tapes (in their boxes, of course) work great for the finger-space creations too. :)
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looking to buy some more of these cardboard ones myself. Seeing prices of @£30 for five - Anyone got a cheaper source?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^https://forbiddenplanet.com/72795-comicare-comic-box-short-size/ - £4 each
    or £5 for the longer sized ones
    - I went for the shorties cos I like 'em move-aroundable and from experience a full bigger is like a brick and when I pick it up I'm always fearful it's gonna split in the middle.
    Can say more about the delivery method if you want. :)

[edit] re: spidey - adding £7 for p+p is seriously taking the piss. If I'd just sold a comic for £14 grand I'd damn well offer to personally delivery it and hirer a limo to take me there. And he's using "other courier" too, I guess cos it's cheaper than Royal Mail Recorded Delivery - wtf. :o >:(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Long boxes do not split when carried full... they are heavy, though.

Also - Silver-acre on Ebay don't charge P&P so work out cheaper than the evil that is Forbidden Planet :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Heck, so I coulda save myself some money by going with them, darn it.

... hang on a mo, iirc I did check them out, so methinks it was all down to the courier they use. I know Forbidden Planet used DPD who will leave it in a safe place if you're not in - which is what I needed. Maybe I asked and found that your "wondrous superdooper eBay cheapy person" uses a courier that doesn't do this. Or, more likely, their courier WOULDA done that for me, but I just forgot about them and cost myself an extra £X.... bugger. :(

[edit] just checked me emails and... I did ask and was told it would depend on the driver on the day, and some would but some wouldn't. So since I had no 'other' address to give them I had to cross them off my "buy-from" list.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The last boxes I bought from them were delivered by DPD, funnily enough.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mred2000 wrote: »
    Last time I bought some long boxes it was about £20 for 4 from Silver Acre on Ebay...

Thanks.
    zwixxx wrote: »

Thanks - £45.40 for 10 delivered which isn`t too bad. If the in-store price is the same I might pop in myself.

Can you believe the price these are now:

http://www.bookpalace.com/acatalog/CollectorLine--Comic-Storage-Boxes--Comic-size--SUP_CSBX_COMIC.html#SID=24

Bought some years and years ago and don`t remember them being anything like as exorbitant as those!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The in store price for Forbidden Planet is £3 for the smallies, so £1 cheaper.

I was thinking of going the in-store route but "circumstances" meant I opted for the more expensive delivery option - with part of those "circumstances" being 10x boxes would be 'king heavy and I'd need to buy a heavy-duty trolley cos I'd lost me old one.

btw: I used my buy to also get in some boards and bags - most satisfying b+b a section of me collection :) - most unsatisfying finding gaps only ebay-fillable is I'm willing to shed out wtf-money.

and as for those £75/5 ones, maybe they're covered in a layer of gold leaf, or for those people who don't know of google and eBay, so methinks they deserve to get screwed. :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Straker wrote: »
    Thanks - £45.40 for 10 delivered which isn`t too bad. If the in-store price is the same I might pop in myself...

Only £27 from Silver Acre (or £35 if they actually add postage, still cheaper)
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10-x-PROFESSIONAL-SILVER-AGE-COMIC-STORAGE-BOXES-/141086454042?pt=UK_Books_Comics_Magazines_Comic_Magazines_ET&hash=item20d968711a
    (18 inches long so still short boxes)

FP, Travelling Man and my LCS all charge £3 to £3.50 in-store, though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was thinking of going the in-store route but "circumstances" meant I opted for the more expensive delivery option - with part of those "circumstances" being 10x boxes would be 'king heavy and I'd need to buy a heavy-duty trolley cos I'd lost me old one.

They don`t weigh that much so I reckon £30 picked up sounds perfick to me. I`ll get some bags and boards to go with as well to bag my strays.

Bagging and boarding saved my thousands of comics when a leak soaked the floor and trashed a lot of those expensive Collectorline boxes I linked to above. If I hadn`t bagged the contents some years previously I would`ve had to throw away many thousands going back to the late 1960s. Lost a few vintage 2000ADs but compared to the total decimation it could`ve been I was lucky.
    btw: I used my buy to also get in some boards and bags - most satisfying b+b a section of me collection :) - most unsatisfying finding gaps only ebay-fillable is I'm willing to shed out wtf-money.

Know what you mean. Could`ve sworn I had the complete original run of Watchmen but number one isn`t bloody there! I have the DC Absolute Edition and would always go back to that to read it but I hate knowing I don`t have all the original issues.
    mred2000 wrote: »
    Only £27 from Silver Acre (or £35 if they actually add postage, still cheaper)

Ta, the fiver I save from FP will cover a pack of bags. Can`t believe ANYTHING is cheaper at Forbidden Planet! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Straker wrote: »
    They don`t weigh that much so I reckon £30 picked up sounds perfick to me. I`ll get some bags and boards to go with as well to bag my strays.
    too much for me. :blush:
    Know what you mean. Could`ve sworn I had the complete original run of Watchmen but number one isn`t bloody there! I have the DC Absolute Edition and would always go back to that to read it but I hate knowing I don`t have all the original issues.
    eBay might be your friend right now, though I guess it depends on what you think if hell-no money. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^and what pisses me off is when a series does a cross-over event and you think you've got all the part, neh, you're CERTAIN you've got all the parts... then some 5 years later when you're getting things organized for a move you find you bought Teen Titans #98 INSTEAD of the required TEEN TITANS #92 - I'm such a dink. :(
  • scrillascrilla Posts: 2,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd be inclined to throw a backing board in at each end of the box to protect the end comics. If not and the comics are boarded you could turn the end ones to face inwards. Will stop them getting damage from people grabbing the handles roughly.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is what I've done using a bunch of cassette tapes - http://i62.tinypic.com/xfdmia.jpg
    (not sure if it is clear though.

The width of a cassette providing ample (maybe too ample) space for mover-guys to get their fingers in. Although I now only get ~1/2 of a box worths of comics in there (small size boxes). Might replace these cassette with ~3 dvds = 1/2 width = still room for fingers (ish) = gets me more comic storing space.