Options

Need Internet Browser blocking tech

FookschplatFookschplat Posts: 1,417
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I wish Google, IE, Firefox etc could invent some sort of add on or blocking software that you can tailor yourself. So you can type in a name of a person and never see a story about them again on news sites or any other site for that matter.

You can't read the Mail, Express, Telegraph, Mirror, Observer, Sky News, Metro and on and on and on... without being bombarded with all the Kardashian's, Jenner's, Katie Price, Kerry Katona, anyone from Towie, anyone who has gained or lost weight, who has pulled what of their ear this week, who's flaunting their body, what's hilarious when it's not...

Online news sites are an absolute joke now, there is barely any actual news... it has truly reached epic levels of crap... I must have seen Kylie Jenner's midrift a thousand times, Kardashian's fat ars* about a thousand times... it is cringeworthy journalism.

and before all the "but why do you click on the stories", I don't but the thumbnails are always there on the sites, you can't escape the crap. Can we block them please, or can we have a news site that doesn't bow down to these narcissistic rubbish

Comments

• Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    FookschplatFookschplat Posts: 1,417
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Thanks Jason..I had no idea this was actually possible, just clicked on it and it seems to be a real thing... ha ha, that's so cool... Need to try and keep up with thing's better, am 38 and have realised over the last year that I am falling behind in stuff as I have a 17 year old nephew and an 18 year and 16 year old niece... and they are coming away with thing's I have never heard of... a filter you could add your own names to would be great though :D
  • Options
    donna255donna255 Posts: 10,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If it worked you will be looking a a blank screen for each of those online papers.:D
  • Options
    maggie_07maggie_07 Posts: 1,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks Jason.

I tried this out on the Mail and it said it removed 64 references to the K family. Wonderful.

It also removed all posts on here mentioning the K's so I couldn't quote your post to say thanks. I wondered if it can be turned off for certain sites.
  • Options
    Ghost WorldGhost World Posts: 7,036
    Forum Member
    You don't need software, you just need to stop visiting the kind of websites that publish that shite.
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member

I just installed that. I hope it works! I'm sick of seeing z-list celebs and extremely trivial news about them on websites. Does anyone really care about that rubbish?
  • Options
    s2ks2k Posts: 7,421
    Forum Member
    You don't need software, you just need to stop visiting the kind of websites that publish that shite.
    Seems like the most sensible thing to do. Acording to the description it works on the following:

Twitter
    NYTimes
    CNN
    Huffington Post
    Google News
    Gawker
    Mashable
    TMZ

With the possible exception of Twitter these are all basically cesspit sites anyway so its not like you would be missing out on anything.
  • Options
    call100call100 Posts: 7,278
    Forum Member
    Best to review your news sources.
    Anyway, who are the Kardashians?????
  • Options
    Mick JonesMick Jones Posts: 315
    Forum Member
    Weren't they an alien race is later Star Trek series?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    s2k wrote: »
    Seems like the most sensible thing to do. Acording to the description it works on the following:

Twitter
    NYTimes
    CNN
    Huffington Post
    Google News
    Gawker
    Mashable
    TMZ

With the possible exception of Twitter these are all basically cesspit sites anyway so its not like you would be missing out on anything.

I wouldn't consider CNN to be a cesspit site. I always thought of it as a serious news site, or has it changed recently? CNN on the telly is a very serious news channel.
  • Options
    s2ks2k Posts: 7,421
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't consider CNN to be a cesspit site. I always thought of it as a serious news site, or has it changed recently? CNN on the telly is a very serious news channel.
    Well I've always found they have been quite sensationalist. Nowhere near the likes of Fox News or whatever but I wouldn't really trust them as a reliable source.

It was only the other week they made a big song and dance about a supposed ISIS flag at the London Pride (found via Twitter). They had several "anti-terror experts" flapping their gums until eventually another Twitter user gave the game away and pointed out it was actually just the symbols of various sex toys :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    s2k wrote: »
    Well I've always found they have been quite sensationalist. Nowhere near the likes of Fox News or whatever but I wouldn't really trust them as a reliable source.

It was only the other week they made a big song and dance about a supposed ISIS flag at the London Pride (found via Twitter). They had several "anti-terror experts" flapping their gums until eventually another Twitter user gave the game away and pointed out it was actually just the symbols of various sex toys :p

Well I don't watch it all the time at the moment but I thought they used to be a serious channel. I can't stand Fox News. I watched it at a friend's house in 2011 and I thought it was very amateurish. All I could do was sit there and laugh :p I remember that and I don't know what to make of it! They were right to be worried but maybe making a song and dance was going a bit too far. Maybe could have just been matter of fact about it.