Chinese Artist Ai WeiWei Denied 6 Month UK Visa

TankyTanky Posts: 3,647
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Although the artist was given a 20 day Visa as an exception, he was denied the full 6 months Visa by the UK government. The UK government insisted that the said artist, was a convicted criminal in China and should be stating that on his application. Also he needs to state this "conviction" in future applications. Clearly the UK government's stance, is that the artist was a former criminal, although the charges that were against him were all trumped up, due to his anti-communist thoughts posted online.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-33714740

It all seems like the UK government, just want to cosy up to China and probably pressure from China, as the artist was only recently given back his passport to travel. I do wonder how much danger does an artist impose? When previously the UK granted citizenship to a foreign murderer in the past.

Comments

• glasshalffullglasshalffull Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tanky wrote: »
    Although the artist was given a 20 day Visa as an exception, he was denied the full 6 months Visa by the UK government. The UK government insisted that the said artist, was a convicted criminal in China and should be stating that on his application. Also he needs to state this "conviction" in future applications. Clearly the UK government's stance, is that the artist was a former criminal, although the charges that were against him were all trumped up, due to his anti-communist thoughts posted online.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-33714740

It all seems like the UK government, just want to cosy up to China and probably pressure from China, as the artist was only recently given back his passport to travel. I do wonder how much danger does an artist impose? When previously the UK granted citizenship to a foreign murderer in the past.

IIRC it he was never tried/convicted of anything...merely detained in a way which if it happened in the UK would have had his lawyer down the court house with a writ of habeus corpus in a trice....one which would have been granted.
  • TimCypherTimCypher Posts: 9,052
    Forum Member
    To be honest, if he filled out a VISA application fraudulently, then it's surprising that he was granted a 20 day stay, let alone a 'do it right next time, and there will be no problem' ticking off.

Other countries would bar you for life.

Regards,

Cypher
  • Jellied EelJellied Eel Posts: 33,091
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ... although the charges that were against him were all trumped up, due to his anti-communist thoughts posted online.

Or he may really be a tax dodger..
    I do wonder how much danger does an artist impose?

Very little to most people. Biggest risk is parting fools from their money with 'art' like this-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ai_Weiwei#/media/File:Condom_Raincoat.JPG

But is he an artist, or an activist?
  • TCD1975TCD1975 Posts: 3,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    although the charges that were against him were all trumped up, due to his anti-communist thoughts posted online.

I think what you mean to say is that he alleges that the charges against him were all trumped up. Do you know for a fact that he didn't dodge paying his tax.

Do you think we should give Visas to anyone who wants to come to the UK claiming that a previous criminal record, or charges against, them were trumped up?
  • bspacebspace Posts: 14,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TCD1975 wrote: »
    I think what you mean to say is that he alleges that the charges against him were all trumped up. Do you know for a fact that he didn't dodge paying his tax.

Do you think we should give Visas to anyone who wants to come to the UK claiming that a previous criminal record, or charges against, them were trumped up?

Well as he wasn't convicted of it (nor of any of the other trumped up charges) then I think it can be safely assumed.
  • plateletplatelet Posts: 26,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bspace wrote: »
    Well as he wasn't convicted of it (nor of any of the other trumped up charges) then I think it can be safely assumed.

I thought he was fined for the tax evasion?
  • wear thefoxhatwear thefoxhat Posts: 3,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He should just do what everyone else who wants to stay here does, just toss his passport, visa and all identity documents on to a roaring fire, sorted :p
  • bspacebspace Posts: 14,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    platelet wrote: »
    I thought he was fined for the tax evasion?

From the BBC article at http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-33714740

"But Ai, though detained in China for 81 days in 2011, has never been charged or convicted of a crime in China."
  • jmclaughjmclaugh Posts: 63,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looks like the visa section at the British embassy in Beijing aren't that well informed about his criminal record or lack thereof.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jmclaugh wrote: »
    Looks like the visa section at the British embassy in Beijing aren't that well informed about his criminal record or lack thereof.

They probably relied on wikipedia (as I did) :blush: Turns out he was fined, but it was a civil case not criminal.

Still all sorted now

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-33738721
  • apaulapaul Posts: 9,846
    Forum Member
    TimCypher wrote: »
    To be honest, if he filled out a VISA application fraudulently, then it's surprising that he was granted a 20 day stay, let alone a 'do it right next time, and there will be no problem' ticking off.

Other countries would bar you for life.

Regards,

Cypher

No question of fraud, just incompetence by the British government.
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,414
    Forum Member
    Home Secretary Theresa May has ordered officials to issue Chinese artist Ai Weiwei a full six-month UK visa, reversing a decision not to grant him the travel document. The Home Office confirmed its decision following an earlier statement the home secretary was "looking into" the case.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-33738721

^^^ That is more like it. Given the way that Weiwei has been harassed by the Chinese state, he ought perhaps to be offered political asylum if that's what he wishes.
  • DotheboyshallDotheboyshall Posts: 40,583
    Forum Member
    Theresa May's vote grabbing visa processing policies bite her on the bum.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^^^ That is more like it. Given the way that Weiwei has been harassed by the Chinese state, he ought perhaps to be offered political asylum if that's what he wishes.

I think he's probably quite chuffed as it stands to be honest
  • Jim NashJim Nash Posts: 1,085
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well it's a musical name he's got, not one hard consonant in sight.