Options

Single Father - BBC1

Comments

• Options
    CrazyeyeskillerCrazyeyeskiller Posts: 4,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree, he is vile. In fact, I find most of the characters quite unlikeable. I feel like I need a wash after each episode and I wish I had stopped watching after the first episode really.

Glad I never went near it. Tennant so up himself it's untrue and the praise he got for being Dr Who soooo ott.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 165
    Forum Member
    Glad I never went near it. Tennant so up himself it's untrue and the praise he got for being Dr Who soooo ott.

Complete and utter nonsense.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Complete and utter nonsense.

Not in my eyes, each to their own
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Everyone has differing opinions on acting, but you cannot say he is up himself because it is simply not true and there is no evidence for it whatsoever.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Everyone has differing opinions on acting, but you cannot say he is up himself because it is simply not true and there is no evidence for it whatsoever.

Nothing whatsoever to do with the fact you fancy him :rolleyes:

"simply not true" and "no evidence" hmmm okay
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Nothing whatsoever to do with the fact you fancy him :rolleyes:

"simply not true" and "no evidence" hmmm okay

:rolleyes:

Oh please. So because I've pointed out that he is actually an incredibly nice guy, and you are wrong to announce he is 'up himself ', then that can only be because I fancy him?.... Really?

Grow up. Please.
  • Options
    jake lylejake lyle Posts: 6,146
    Forum Member

Actually the vast majority of people who have actully meet him say the opposite.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :rolleyes:

Oh please. So because I've pointed out that he is actually an incredibly nice guy, and you are wrong to announce he is 'up himself ', then that can only be because I fancy him?.... Really?

Grow up. Please.

Right well i guess it's argument over and me put in my place then.

Why do you find it so hard to fathom that someone else might dislike someone you like? When I have seen him interviewed he bugs the hell out of me and I get the overwhelming impression he loves himself and don't like his coy fake modesty - it's just my opinion - shoot me! Sure he will get over it jesus.............

Oh and Dr Who is complete pants and i resent the ott praise he gets for his appearances in it.

There's nothing more to add, I understand I am in a minority here, that's fine, you can all tell me he is wonderful till the cows come home, I'm not changing my own opinion unless I see good reason to ie him not loving himself in interviews.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 183
    Forum Member
    Absolutely loved this until tonight's episode, which I did enjoy, but I didn't think the ending was believable. I suppose I went into this thinking it wasn't going to be another rubishy, Waterloo Road-esque, BBC drama, and was expecting it to have a true to life ending, where everything doesn't necessarily work out, but it resonates more with the audience. If I'd been expecting something silly and over-the-top (which I do find entertaining) I might have been happier with the fairytale ending when half the charaters seem to have had personality transplants. If that makes any sense? Still really enjoyed the series and watched every episode religiously after X Factor! Also just love David Tennant, especially using his real accent. I also am from Edinburgh and currently live in Glasgow so I really enjoyed seeing so many familiar sights on the telly!
  • Options
    towerstowers Posts: 12,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Utter rubbish!

He's a good actor and that's it. :cool: And before you say I like him because I fancy him, Martin Clunes is another of my favourite actors and I don't fancy him at all. If you want actors with big egos, try looking at Hollywood.

As for Single Father, I enjoyed this series quite a bit :) although I'm not sure Sarah announcing what she did at the end will put her in a good light with everyone but at least it stopped the ending from being too syrupy.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A very good series only problem was the ending, why not leave him as a single Dad. I do know someone who lost their partner (who they loved loads) but was remarried within 8 months. So not as unbelievable as you would think. I thought the some of the characters were under used as well, but on the whole a really good show.
  • Options
    Killary45Killary45 Posts: 1,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ouch! Someone sounds a bit jealous there. Apart from him being a better actor than you, and a more successful actor than you, and a nicer person than you, what else don't you like about him?
  • Options
    oldhagoldhag Posts: 2,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think it would have worked without David Tennent.

It certainly wouldn't have worked as well. He's an amazing actor. I hate Dr Who so I've missed him so much.
  • Options
    katkimkatkim Posts: 10,271
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    #grotbags# wrote: »
    He did, yes. And she announced that she was pregnant. Planned it and got pregnant the first time they slept together in Edinburgh. I thought that was ridiculous and put me off her character.

Yeah, for me that destroyed the character of Sarah too. I wasn't that keen that she was having it off with her dead, best friend's husband, whilst still in a relationship, in the first place. At least, not while the body was still warm. To find out she's pregnant and planned it...I don't know, that's kind of creepy and crazy. That kind of behaviour belongs on Jeremy Kyle, not a 'heartwarming Sunday night drama'. Meh.
  • Options
    catsittercatsitter Posts: 4,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    katkim wrote: »
    Yeah, for me that destroyed the character of Sarah too. I wasn't that keen that she was having it off with her dead, best friend's husband, whilst still in a relationship, in the first place. At least, not while the body was still warm. To find out she's pregnant and planned it...I don't know, that's kind of creepy and crazy. That kind of behaviour belongs on Jeremy Kyle, not a 'heartwarming Sunday night drama'. Meh.

Well, but she was Rita's best friend, and Rita did much the same thing with Stuart (Rupert Graves) except that she did let him know what she was up to beforehand.
  • Options
    mojo5000mojo5000 Posts: 54,086
    Forum Member
    katkim wrote: »

Completely agree, it spoiled the ending for me.
  • Options
    Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mojo5000 wrote: »

Yes, that did seem to come out of left field and it did seem at odds with her character throughout the series. Also, the wife/mother had only been dead for around six months at the ending and so it was a bit unbelievable that the family would accept the new relationship so readily, when in reality they would all probably still be grieving.
  • Options
    00tommo00tommo Posts: 2,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder how much the compensation was? Dont think it was ever said.
    I didn't mind it, ok for sunday at nine o'clock. Every time Robin was on the screen though I couldn't help thinking of Brian from Spaced!
  • Options
    Crawley CutieCrawley Cutie Posts: 10,948
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mojo5000 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I think the pregnancy may have had something to do with the first episode.
    Rita told Sarah that she wanted to get pregnant again without Dave's knowledge.
    Perhaps, because of her love for Rita, Sarah did it for the three of them.
    Who knows ? but I thoroughly enjoyed D.T's acting. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    #grotbags# wrote: »
    He did, yes. And she announced that she was pregnant. Planned it and got pregnant the first time they slept together in Edinburgh. I thought that was ridiculous and put me off her character.

I quite liked Sarah until Matt had challenged her about "not doing alone" when she turned up while the family were in the middle of their nits crisis :eek: obviously expecting him to ignore his kids for her needs there and then. And she didn't seem that pleased when he asked her to go after Tandy spilled all the beans. If she's THAT needy why pick on a guy with that many kids - not very intelligent !

About the kids reactions - don't forget that as Sarah and Rita were best friends we have to assume that they were always hanging out, and as Sarah taught at their school she wasn't exactly a stranger to them. Likely they'd seen him n her kiss before albeit not in THAT way.

I did find the ending unsatisfactory as I would have preferred for him to hit the roof at Sarah's manipulation (although she said she wanted to go it alone). But, as we've surpmised that Rita was controlling, maybe that's the kind of women he prefers with him being an artistic type and maybe not very good at the responsibility thing - that is, until he had to step up in the worst poss circumstances.
  • Options
    AntoniaAAntoniaA Posts: 6,640
    Forum Member
    I thought it was very good. I could imagine people getting themselves into that sort of situation. I didn't understand why Sarah wanted to get pregnant with a man who already has five kids but some people do. David Tennant was excellent, he made the character quite believable.
  • Options
    Loz_FraggleLoz_Fraggle Posts: 5,759
    Forum Member
    00tommo wrote: »
    I wonder how much the compensation was? Dont think it was ever said.
    I didn't mind it, ok for sunday at nine o'clock. Every time Robin was on the screen though I couldn't help thinking of Brian from Spaced!

I know, me too! I kept expecting a Brian line

I also didn't like the ending, it made Sarah seem cold and calculating and the way Matt just seemed to fade away towards the end of the episode.
  • Options
    diyqueendiyqueen Posts: 2,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think this is all very believable, and I disagree with people's comments saying david T is miscast. The characters all seem very human, and not the wonderful wise characters, some people seem to want from a one off drama series

The father is not horrible to his eldest daughter, he just has not really bonded with her as a daughter as he has never really looked after her as a young child. some people seem to want him to be perfect and say the right things to his middle daughter, the one who isn't really his. But not many people are perfect, and find it hard to be good people. even when david tennent is playing a weak character, he is good. most people find it hard to say the right things, and be good parents, and to not be selfish.

This is a drama series where no one is the big hero, or the likable one. The kids are all annoying, as kids really are. the sister in law is a big annoyence, as a lot of sister in laws are.

That's why it is quite real, even if the the situation doesn't seem real, I'm sure similar things have happened many times in real life.
    except in real life people argue a lot more. and swear.

Infact the dad seems like the nicest guy on earth, just a man of few words, and a desire to be with someone other than his hand for the rest of his life.

Best post so far spot on
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I watched the first episode I had high hopes for Single Father unfortunately I was wrong.
    I`ve now watched the final episode on iPlayer & hated the ending. Dave just ended with another manipulative woman in his life. There was his ex-wife, his late partner, her interfering sister & then Sarah. Less than six months after his partner died & he gets together permanently with the woman who used him to get pregnant. Really awful programme. Totally unbelieveable. I`m sure that no child would be happy, let alone begging their dad to get together with a woman who preyed on their father 22 weeks after their mother had died. In real life this wouldn`t have happened as the fling with Sarah would have ended because of Dave`s feelings of guilt. Sarah was just someone who took advantage of a man who was grief-stricken so that she could become pregnant.

Suranne Jones was awful as usual.
  • Options
    greengrangreengran Posts: 4,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ArumLily wrote: »
    When I watched the first episode I had high hopes for Single Father unfortunately I was wrong.
    I`ve now watched the final episode on iPlayer & hated the ending. Dave just ended with another manipulative woman in his life. There was his ex-wife, his late partner, her interfering sister & then Sarah. Less than six months after his partner died & he gets together permanently with the woman who used him to get pregnant. Really awful programme. Totally unbelieveable. I`m sure that no child would be happy, let alone begging their dad to get together with a woman who preyed on their father 22 weeks after their mother had died. In real life this wouldn`t have happened as the fling with Sarah would have ended because of Dave`s feelings of guilt. Sarah was just someone who took advantage of a man who was grief-stricken so that she could become pregnant.

Suranne Jones was awful as usual.

I quite enjoyed this until the last episode, when it all turned out so nicely, but I do agree with what you are saying, it could have been so good, but somewhere along the way it lost it. I like my drama to be believeable and it was all too neat.