CHICKEN TIKKA....is it worth it?

2»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 128
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Same here. I think it must be a religious thing. It can't be price as they do lamb and duck. Beef is probably the cheapest meat and is also probably the most popular in my region over the years.

It is. Hindus (not all, but majority) do not eat beef. The cow is considered sacred. Also, some Hindus do not eat meat at all on Tuesdays and Thursdays for religious reasons.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 128
    Forum Member
    Zimzammam wrote: »
    I have recently started making my own chicken tikka, using a Madhur Jaffrey recipe - Bliddy lush if I say so myself. Taste better than a takeaway and you know what's in it!

There you go! ;)
  • Grabid RanniesGrabid Rannies Posts: 4,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hehe, the French & Saunders / Madonna & Britney sketch - 'chickenchickentikka chickenchickentikka' :D

I don't know about tikkas personally. Are they quite mild? Or is that korma, you know, the yellowy-looking one. Urrgh. I much prefer something with substance and a bit of kick! Having said that I love a shashlik also.

Also having said that mind, I've tried the Sainsbury's Indian phal, and :eek: it's also not pretty the next morning, especially if a bottle of Sainsbury's pale cream sherry was involved in the night before :D:o:o
  • xmodz10xmodz10 Posts: 1,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    trevgo wrote: »
    Nope. Chinese has faded here and Indian taken over, unlike in the States. I've eaten Indian in America twice and it was awful.

I prefer Tikka in a curry to just plain chicken, but it's not authentic to do so (very little of "British" curry is authentic). And there's Tikka and Tikka. Sometime awful, sometimes just amazing. This place does the best I've ever tasted - crisply charred outside, beautifully moist inside and with a heck of a kick - they use a serious amount of chilli in that marinade!

http://www.kanchansgroup.com/gants.htm

Most of their food is amazing - it's a Sikh, not a Muslim establishment. Their homemade paneer is a thing of beauty too.

what has religion got to do with it
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Hehe, the French & Saunders / Madonna & Britney sketch - 'chickenchickentikka chickenchickentikka' :D

I don't know about tikkas personally. Are they quite mild? Or is that korma, you know, the yellowy-looking one. Urrgh. I much prefer something with substance and a bit of kick! Having said that I love a shashlik also.

Also having said that mind, I've tried the Sainsbury's Indian phal, and :eek: it's also not pretty the next morning, especially if a bottle of Sainsbury's pale cream sherry was involved in the night before :D:o:o
    Chicken tikka itself is dry. The massala is the sauce.
    It's not that dissimial to shashlik, well not in my local.
  • venusinflaresvenusinflares Posts: 4,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Asda takeaway 'Scorching Hot Vindaloo' gives a reasonably good kick for a supermarket curry.
  • Slarti BartfastSlarti Bartfast Posts: 6,607
    Forum Member
    People like a deal. We go to a curry house regularly and the busiest days are Thrusdays and Sundays where they have a 5 course meal for £7.95.
    Been past other nights and it is either empty or closed.

That doesn't answer my question in any way whatsoever.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Yes it does. People don't want to spend too much and if the restaurants didn't do deals then they would probably close through lack of business.

They lower prices or do deals to get the people in. People then go in and spend money. Keeps the restaurant open, keeps people in jobs, the restaurant is still buying goods from suppliers.
  • Oliver Loxton-POliver Loxton-P Posts: 582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We either buy chicken tikka which is chunky pieces of chicken tikka done in the charcoal oven. That's nice but my favourite is chicken tikka tandoori, on the bone. We get two massive breasts, still on the bone. You get more for your money and it's much more tender.

If we get an Indian we usually buy....

Chicken pakora
    Chicken tikka or chicken tikka tandoori
    3 poppadoms
    2 rice
    1 nan bread

That tends to feed three of us. It's usually around £20.
  • curvybabescurvybabes Posts: 13,223
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Iceland frozen Chicken Tikka Massala - £1.50 (It's just the Tikka Massala with no rice so you get more)(many other Indian and Chinese dishes in the same range to chose from)
    Big Bag of white rice Asda Smart Price 40p (Last for ages - Only two handfuls need)
    Frozen peas to add the the rice to make it interesting
    Asda Smart Price noodles 12p

Cost approx. £2.10 - Takes 17 minutes to do.

Repeat every Saturday with beer like I have for too many years!

I do like the Iceland takeaway range tasty and good value

Havent been for an Indian in ages, everyone prefers chinese now but my favourite was always chicken tikka karahi or bhuna .. i definelty prefer tikka meat
  • Slarti BartfastSlarti Bartfast Posts: 6,607
    Forum Member
    Yes it does. People don't want to spend too much and if the restaurants didn't do deals then they would probably close through lack of business.

They lower prices or do deals to get the people in. People then go in and spend money. Keeps the restaurant open, keeps people in jobs, the restaurant is still buying goods from suppliers.

The OP suggested that we should order plain chicken because it was cheaper, this saving money and helping the economy. How does spending less help the economy? That is the question. That's nothing to do with enticing people in with deals and keeping businesses open, it's to do with the OP's notion that spending less money (as opposed to spending more) will somehow help the economy.
  • Jambo_cJambo_c Posts: 4,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I nearly always go with lamb and I prefer normal lamb to lamb tikka. I'd probably only go with tikka if I was having a particularly mild or weak in flavour dish.
  • SambdaSambda Posts: 6,185
    Forum Member
    OneLove68 wrote: »
    It is. Hindus (not all, but majority) do not eat beef. The cow is considered sacred. Also, some Hindus do not eat meat at all on Tuesdays and Thursdays for religious reasons.

Yes, but Muslim-run Indian restaurants also don't usually do beef, but I don't think it is forbidden to them like pork is. Certainly I've known Muslim North Africans (e.g. Kenyan) eat beef with no problems, but the Indian/Pakistani/Bangladeshi Muslims don't.
  • alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sambda wrote: »
    Yes, but Muslim-run Indian restaurants also don't usually do beef, but I don't think it is forbidden to them like pork is. Certainly I've known Muslim North Africans (e.g. Kenyan) eat beef with no problems, but the Indian/Pakistani/Bangladeshi Muslims don't.
    Cow's sacred in Hinduism.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StRTPBoCkE0 = GGM clip from series 1...
  • SambdaSambda Posts: 6,185
    Forum Member
    alcockell wrote: »
    Cow's sacred in Hinduism.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StRTPBoCkE0 = GGM clip from series 1...

I know about Hinduism - I was talking about Muslims from the Indian subcontinent not eating beef.
  • cbe21okcbe21ok Posts: 3,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We either buy chicken tikka which is chunky pieces of chicken tikka done in the charcoal oven. That's nice but my favourite is chicken tikka tandoori, on the bone. We get two massive breasts, still on the bone. You get more for your money and it's much more tender.

If we get an Indian we usually buy....

Chicken pakora
    Chicken tikka or chicken tikka tandoori
    3 poppadoms
    2 rice
    1 nan bread

That tends to feed three of us. It's usually around £20.

Nothing wrong with two massive breasts that's for sure :D.
  • Mark in EssexMark in Essex Posts: 3,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like to have my chicken Tikka'd if it's not too much extra on my curries (like chicken tikka madras).

I would pay upto £1 more for it.
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,564
    Forum Member
    yellowpark wrote: »
    Why don't you learn to cook it yourself?

Here we go.:rolleyes:
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,564
    Forum Member
    How does spending less helps the economy?

Yes, i'd be interested to know that too.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here we go.:rolleyes:

lol..
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 140
    Forum Member
    I like to have my chicken Tikka'd if it's not too much extra on my curries (like chicken tikka madras).

I would pay upto £1 more for it.

at last...someone grasped the question!....cheers mate,i shall take your advice onboard:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 140
    Forum Member
    The OP suggested that we should order plain chicken because it was cheaper, this saving money and helping the economy. How does spending less help the economy? That is the question. That's nothing to do with enticing people in with deals and keeping businesses open, it's to do with the OP's notion that spending less money (as opposed to spending more) will somehow help the economy.

this whole thread is rather 'tongue in cheek'........so helping the economy it is not..you are correct...however it would help MY economy!!!!