do you have a favourite coffee shop ?

Comments

• Cornish_PiskieCornish_Piskie Posts: 7,489
    Forum Member
    My favourite cup of coffee is the one I make myself when I get five minutes during the day.

When there is no more work to be done, or my daughter is having her afternoon nap, or I just, somehow, find a gap in the day when all is still and silent. I don't make designer coffee, instant will do. I may even nibble at a little piece of choccy or a Hobnob while I'm about it. How wicked..!!

Bliss.
  • dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cafe Nero for coffee or Starbucks for Signature Hot Chocolate, don't like Costa.
  • farmer bobfarmer bob Posts: 27,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quite like Costa's ground coffee, bought a 240g bag in the supermarket for £2.
    It lasts roughly a fortnight, just shows the profits they must be making on a single serving of coffee in their shops.
  • Babe RainbowBabe Rainbow Posts: 34,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Caffe Nero...and, specifically, my local one. The service is awesome. The staff know all the regulars' names and what coffee they drink. Lovely.
  • spanglerokapispanglerokapi Posts: 523
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I drink a cafetière every morning in one independent and later in the day visit another for an espresso. The first shop acts as a meeting point for friends but their espresso is of varying quality the second venue serves consistently good espresso but is not conducive to people sitting round and nattering!
  • clm2071clm2071 Posts: 6,641
    Forum Member
    Costa

They have my small skinny hazelnut latte ready for me every morning on my way to work

I find that Starbucks tastes disgusting (although they do the best cold drinks)

My local Cafe Nero was nice but went through a phase of serving everything only luke warm so haven't been there in a while
  • Jambo_cJambo_c Posts: 4,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not really bothered about coffee at all and if I'm out and about and fancy something to drink or if I'm meeting friends I'd rather just go to a pub.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You'll usually find me here or here.

I have been to that Starbucks a couple of times, but it's always been way too busy - not my favourite branch.
  • ChristmasCakeChristmasCake Posts: 26,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have been to that Starbucks a couple of times, but it's always been way too busy - not my favourite branch.

It is quite busy, but they know me in there, I get to flirt with a specific cute barista and it's all good.
  • LushnessLushness Posts: 38,165
    Forum Member
    Whenever I walk past the Starbucks in Westfield Stratford it is always packed - I hate being in places like that. I like a bit of peace and quiet if I'm going to stop for a coffee. There's one 5 minutes away from me but it seems a bit silly going there when I can just relax at home.

I only tend to go to coffee shops when I'm waiting for a train.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lushness wrote: »
    Whenever I walk past the Starbucks in Westfield Stratford it is always packed - I hate being in places like that. I like a bit of peace and quiet if I'm going to stop for a coffee. There's one 5 minutes away from me but it seems a bit silly going there when I can just relax at home.

I only tend to go to coffee shops when I'm waiting for a train.

There is a smaller one out on the street in Stratford, if that helps?

The Westfield one is right by the train station, which suits me. I order my coffee and then sprint to my train, using all of my abilities to not spill said coffee:)...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is quite busy, but they know me in there, I get to flirt with a specific cute barista and it's all good.

There's a cute barista ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's a cute barista ?

Yeah, have you not noticed him?
  • tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dont drink coffee and certainly dont frequent these coffee chain places (I admit Im bored with the other threads so have come into this one when I normally wouldnt)

But, we do particularly like a little place in Hythe called truly scrumptious which is really nice.
  • exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    Good timing thread.

I took my daughter to Heathrow this morning and decided to have a coffee before leaving at a place called Cafe Nero and ordered a regular Americano @ £1.50, I couldn't see where the sugar etc was so asked the guy and he went and got two packs and put them in for me and when it came to pay he charged me £2.00, I said " two pounds?" and he said " yes and I put sugar in for you" and when I asked if he'd stirred it he pointed to where the stirrers were - right next to the sugar!

I paid thinking this 'service charge' was normal at the airport because they do rip you off but my neighbour said he'd had me over and come to think of it I didn't see him put the sale through the till but instead went on to serve the next person.

I intend to give the company a call tomorrow but before I do can someone here confirm the price is £1.50 because I'm now doubting what happened as I don't usually get mugged like that and maybe I misheard him - I was knackered at the time due to a late night online then up again at 6 for the trip.
  • Babe RainbowBabe Rainbow Posts: 34,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good timing thread.

I took my daughter to Heathrow this morning and decided to have a coffee at Cafe Nero before I left and ordered a regular Americano @ £1.50, I couldn't see where the sugar etc was so asked the guy and he went and got two packs and put them in for me and when it came to pay he charged me £2.00, I said " two pounds?" and he said " yes and I put sugar in for you" and when I asked if he'd stirred it he pointed to where the stirrers were - right next to the sugar!

I paid thinking this 'service charge' was normal at the airport because they do rip you off but my neighbour said he'd had me over and come to think of it I didn't see him put the sale through the till but instead went on to serve the next person.

I intend to give the company a call tomorrow but before I do can someone here confirm the price is £1.50 because I'm now doubting what happened as I don't usually get mugged like that and maybe I misheard him - I was knackered at the time due to a late night online then up again at 6 for the trip.

Just checked online and a regular Americano in Nero is £2.05. But I wouldn't be surprised if it is more expensive at the airport. So maybe you misheard when he said £1.50.

Edited - read it wrong
  • exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    It was definitely £1.50 or I could have had filter coffee for £1.55 but he reckoned the Americano was better so I went for that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah, have you not noticed him?

no ... but then i've only been to that branch a few times, and each time it was super busy ...
  • ScubyScuby Posts: 1,343
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    when out of the home, where do you get your coffee fix ?
    do you have a favourite place, to the point where you don't even have to order because they just know.
    ?

Slightly different to UK as stopping for coffee when out here in Spain is soooo much cheaper, but yes we have a few we like, coffee much nicer here, anyway wherever we go be it close to home or 45 mins along the coast they remeber how we like it and the fact hubby uses sweetener. very social thing here as well :D
  • PrincessTTPrincessTT Posts: 4,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was definitely £1.50 or I could have had filter coffee for £1.55 but he reckoned the Americano was better so I went for that.

It seems odd that an Americano would be cheaper than filter coffee.
    From looking online a regular Americano should be £2.05.

Perhaps the guy made a mistake by saying £1.50 to you and he didn't want to admit it so he came up with the putting sugar in excuse.
  • James_MayJames_May Posts: 606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://pressroomcoffee.co.uk/

Hot chocolates that use real, melted chocolate and milk. So delicious.
  • PattiPatti Posts: 3,105
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My favourite independent coffee shop closed about a month or 2 ago, now I go to either Nero or Starbucks. Unless I'm in college, in which case I'll go to the Costa on the campus so I can get student prices!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    no ... but then i've only been to that branch a few times, and each time it was super busy ...

I always notice the cute ones;-).
  • HildaonplutoHildaonpluto Posts: 37,697
    Forum Member
    The Costa Coffee shop near Edinburgh Waverley Train station. Had many a nice hour in there.
  • day dreamerday dreamer Posts: 978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tayorous wrote: »
    I'm not a hipster, so I drink coffee in my house :D

I'm as far from hispter as you can get. Since when is going to a coffee shop a hipster thing to do apart from maybe, at a stretch, in films and tv shows?