Options

The Pro Cycling Thread (Part 2)

Comments

• Options
    cmq2cmq2 Posts: 2,502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sharp criticism of Cavendish from the EQS DS Brian Holm for going too early and not keeping Cancellara out of the top three. He compared the team's failure to convert their strength in the 25 man break to the EQS trio losing to Stannard in the Omloop Het Nieuwsblad.
  • Options
    Edward_SloleyEdward_Sloley Posts: 10,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    With bonus seconds on the line, Cancellara pipped Martin to the GC lead by virtue of finishing third in the sprint - behind Griepel*/Sagan and ahead of Cav! Double blow for Etixx after they ripped the peloton to shreds.

Looks like Froome has learned from his mistake in the echelon-heavy stage of the 2013 TdF (first of the GC contenders today).

(*His first day in the green jersey if I'm not mistaken.)
  • Options
    apaulapaul Posts: 9,846
    Forum Member
    cmq2 wrote: »
    Sharp criticism of Cavendish from the EQS DS Brian Holm for going too early and not keeping Cancellara out of the top three. He compared the team's failure to convert their strength in the 25 man break to the EQS trio losing to Stannard in the Omloop Het Nieuwsblad.

Cavandish did go too early and ended up giving a lead out to Greipel and Sagan, but the whole team went too early ending up with Renshaw leaving Cavendish in front too far out.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Major crash! :(

William Bonnet (who touched wheels) triggered the incident and abandons. Dumoulin abandons, as does Gerrans (second Tour in a row! :o)...Cancellara involved as well, got concussed and might abandon as well!

Race brought to an actual halt!! :o Never seen that before.

Apparently there weren't enough doctors to deal with the aftermath, which is why the race was halted. They're now on the move again (not yet the race proper), including Cancellara.
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't recall a race being stopped because of a crash either.

The reason appears understandable in that all the medical staff were needed at the crash scene so there was no cover for the remaining riders who were carrying on

But there's been lots of big crashes in races before so the question is bound to arise as to what kind of precedent this is setting.

Meanwhile let's hope everyone is OK, it looked pretty horrific

(as it happens I fell over on Saturday after tripping on a kerb and landed on my face.......bust lip, bruised hand and knee but I think I was very lucky and it puts into perspective the danger of falling off a bike at 40 or 50 K an hour.......:o)
  • Options
    paul2307paul2307 Posts: 8,079
    Forum Member
    I have seen bigger crashes in the past but normally the riders are back up and waiting for mechanics with only one two staying down, the difference this time was the number of riders who didn't get up
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And now we have more echelons!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    now we've got cross winds and echelons forming.....

Ten Dem had a dislocated shoulder put back in and got back on his bike
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gruppo compacto...all together now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Cancellara sliding out of the back door with a growing group now they've hit the climbs

Cav has gone

Some people are going to lose a lot of time today the rate at which the gap is growing

it's gone up nearly a minute whilst I've typed this......
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Peloton shatters on penultimate climb

All the big names are in the front group of about 25...........Froome on the front heading for the Mur
  • Options
    apaulapaul Posts: 9,846
    Forum Member
    The cobbles and high mountains are still to come, but Froome has the best form so far.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Feel sorry for Tony Martin - second to Dennis in opening stage, second to Cancellara in GC yesterday and now second to Froome in GC by a solitary second! :o
  • Options
    tangsmantangsman Posts: 3,661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chapeau Laurens ten Dam.
  • Options
    vosnevosne Posts: 14,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Crash was pretty rad today tbf. Hard men.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cancellara's day in the maillot jaune is certainly his last in this TdF. He won't be starting tomorrow (at least he didn't suffer the ignominy of quitting as GC leader), and neither will Daryl Impey (Orica already 2 riders down).

Speaking of Orica, here's the aftermath in the eyes of one of their mechanics...in a manner of speaking.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watching it again now, that was a nasty high speed crash.

It's not always a good thing for a GC contender to be in the yellow jersey so early on but I was thinking for Froome tomorrow with the cobbles, other rider's may give him a bit more room and respect.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Speaking of Orica, here's the aftermath in the eyes of one of their mechanics...in a manner of speaking.
    Re-clipping straps to a helmet after high speed crash is not a good idea. Bin it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cmq2 wrote: »
    Re-clipping straps to a helmet after high speed crash is not a good idea. Bin it.
    The fact that the peloton is disappearing down the road may have something to do with that. ;-)

No interviews or anything on Eurosport after the race finished, absolutely pathetic. I thought they may have been some on the highlights programme but there weren't any at all. >:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andrew-W wrote: »
    The fact that the peloton is disappearing down the road may have something to do with that. ;-)
    He could have collected one from the car with the replacement bike.

The guy is sitting stunned on the grass not chasing the team car for a bike. He was already resigned to losing time.
  • Options
    TrustFundBabyTrustFundBaby Posts: 593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Feel sorry for Tony Martin - second to Dennis in opening stage, second to Cancellara in GC yesterday and now second to Froome in GC by a solitary second! :o

Wouldn't surprise me if he is in yellow tomorrow though. You would think he could find a second on Froome in a cobbled stage.
  • Options
    James1953James1953 Posts: 4,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just saw the crash on the news. Looked horrible. Kudos to those that carried on. Sometimes forget how fast they are actually going
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's essentially Paris-Roubaix 'lite' today. Intermediate sprint contested and Sagan jokingly suggests the five of them form their own breakaway. XD :D

Sean Kelly reckons Cav will take it today - would have thought he'd go for Monument powerhouses Degenkolb or Kristoff, but we'll see in due course.

Just read that storms are approaching the latter stages of the course! (Heh. ;-))
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've never known so many advert breaks........I'm flicking between ES and ITV4 every couple of minutes and the ads are quite often on both at the same time.......>:(

started spitting with rain

Dan Martin crashes
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dowsett crashes........

coming up to the main sections of cobbles shortly