The Tennis Thread (Part 29)

Comments

• ShappyShappy Posts: 14,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    striing wrote: »
    It's a case of be careful what you wish for. If 'regular' posters make remarks during the French and Wimbledon (the two tournaments that UK viewers without Sky can actually watch) along the lines of 'don't worry the thread will be back to normal soon' then it's not going to encourage posting at other times.

I agree.
    Jenny1986 wrote: »
    I didn't see this posted, so sorry if it has been. Bernard Tomic has been arrested in Miami over playing music too loud in his hotel.

http://espn.go.com/tennis/story/_/id/13267599/bernard-tomic-arrested-loud-hotel-music-miami

There is a mugshot floating around, not the worst thing for him to do, but it's not really helpful just now.

Feel quite sorry for Tomic. I don't think he quite realised the corporate wrath of Tennis Australia would be unleashed on him. Looks like he's unravelling.
    CLL Dodge wrote: »
    Dr Richard Williams?

:D
    vaslav37 wrote: »
    Serena is being heavily criticsed on Facebook for pulling out of Båstad.

It does seem a bit fishy but who knows.
  • tartan-belletartan-belle Posts: 14,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh dear, poor Bernie. He probably just wanted to play music loud instead of thinking about the various negative stories about him/tennis Aus that are floating around just now. Did anyone see the hall of fame typo? Hmm...
  • lyn2lyn2 Posts: 2,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks like Berdy's got married.
    Congrats to the happy couple.
  • Jenny1986Jenny1986 Posts: 16,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lyn2 wrote: »

Aw that's lovely, congratulations to them. That is one good looking couple, and it looks like she has sleeves on her dress, this makes me happy.
  • GardenaGardena Posts: 8,602
    Forum Member
    Oh dear, poor Bernie. He probably just wanted to play music loud instead of thinking about the various negative stories about him/tennis Aus that are floating around just now. Did anyone see the hall of fame typo? Hmm...

It sucks for him because his year started so well . I don't think this is going to end well . He's obviously in free fall and nobody's there to catch him because everyone is too busy using/laughing at him . He needs somebody in his corner without any personal motivation , not somebody connected to Tennis in any shape or form .
  • owen10owen10 Posts: 127,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think we need Murray to win both his singles and us to win the Doubles just to beat the French team in the Davis Cup
  • vaslav37vaslav37 Posts: 69,536
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am surprised Arnaud Clement has chosen Tsonga over Gasquet.
  • Irishguy123Irishguy123 Posts: 14,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Think Serena withdrawing from Bastad is kinda bad form. Blatantly only turning up for the appearance fee, and it's not like she needs it or anything. She could at least have played another match or two to give more fans a chance to see her. Ah well.

As for Tomic.. well, what can you say? It just goes from bad to worse. A lost soul.
  • James1953James1953 Posts: 4,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Heard this on the radio last night

The draw for the Australia/Kazakhstan quarter final was made by the crocodile that starred in Crocodile Dundee 25 years ago:)

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2015/jul/16/australia-kazakhstan-davis-cup-draw-made-by-crocodile

I think we used a banker
  • LushnessLushness Posts: 38,168
    Forum Member
    Poor Tomic, he seems like a lost soul at the moment, it'll probably have a detrimental effect on his tennis too. I hope he sorts himself out.
  • CGG_12CGG_12 Posts: 7,483
    Forum Member
    Interesting to see Dreddy going well again in Newport. Tough quarter final v Ivo though but it's very difficult to see Ivo getting into return games. If Brown can sneak a break somewhere that could be enough. Still it's likely to be tie-breaks galore, Ivo isn't far off unbreakable on grass at the best of tims
    owen10 wrote: »
    I think we need Murray to win both his singles and us to win the Doubles just to beat the French team in the Davis Cup

Well yeah, I'd be fully amazed if Ward won a singles match. France's 10th choice would fancy their chances v Ward. That said he's a different beast in Davis Cup but he could be thumped here
    I am surprised Arnaud Clement has chosen Tsonga over Gasquet.

Don't know much about Davis Cup but I'd certainly pick Tsonga myself. Gasquet, while talented, is very limited against the top players, while at least tsonga always has an unplayable match or two in him. Put it this way- his top level is better than that of Gasquet

Tsonga has a very strong serve and against Murray you're always likely to get donated a service game nowadays. Murray will always have much more difficulty returning Jo's serve on grass. Gasquet's serve is mediocre really and I could see Murray getting his teeth into a lot of his serve games

Tsonga's only problem here is it'll be best of 5. He always has dips in matches given his low margin game, so Murray should be able to capitalise on that
  • Cherry-chocCherry-choc Posts: 4,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Soooo, Kazakhstan are up 2-0 on the Aussies. Can Hewitt save them in the doubles? They should've played Groth over Kokkinakis, I think...his s&v style is a much more natural fit for fast grass.

Underestimate the Kazakhs at your peril. Well by Kazakhs, I mean former Russians/Ukrainians who were convinced to switch nationalities ;-)
    Lol, Kyrgios needs to sort himself out pretty soon. He won't win anything carrying on the way he does
    Apparently he's had personal problems in the last couple of months. Couple that with him parting ways from his coach and you can see why he fell off the wagon at Wimby.

He just lost to the Kazakh #2 Nedovyesov, so no doubt he'll be crucified once again in the Aussie press. I think he should take a break and come back with his head sorted :(
    MARTYM8 wrote: »
    Maybe it's just a nice place to get away from post Wimbledon as it's on the coast too. She now has time to chill now she has pulled out.

Gstaad also holds an ATP event shortly - that's very small too.
    Ha, I used to confuse Gstaad and Bastad. :p
    Shappy wrote: »
    Feel quite sorry for Tomic. I don't think he quite realised the corporate wrath of Tennis Australia would be unleashed on him. Looks like he's unravelling.
    Bernie has been caught up in the row between his dad John and TA. TA wanted him to part ways with John, but by cutting off the funding for his sister (Sara), they've probably brought them closer together. Muppets.

Rafter, Newcombe, Laver, Masur, Hewitt...Kyrgios and Tomic are on the outside looking in. TA comes across as quite the old boys club.
    lyn2 wrote: »
    First he wanted Lendl, settled for Vallverdu/Green...then he gets hitched.

Czech flash **** is continuing to shadow Murray :p
    Think Serena withdrawing from Bastad is kinda bad form. Blatantly only turning up for the appearance fee, and it's not like she needs it or anything. She could at least have played another match or two to give more fans a chance to see her. Ah well.

As for Tomic.. well, what can you say? It just goes from bad to worse. A lost soul.
    Serena's withdrawal is bad form, yes. I think the organisers should claw some of the appearance fee back when this happens.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CGG_12 wrote: »
    Interesting to see Dreddy going well again in Newport. Tough quarter final v Ivo though but it's very difficult to see Ivo getting into return games. If Brown can sneak a break somewhere that could be enough. Still it's likely to be tie-breaks galore, Ivo isn't far off unbreakable on grass at the best of tims
    Brown goes for broke on ROS, but he won't be able to do much if Ivo serves over 70%.

I imagine an awful lot of points will end up with one/both guys at the net. Proper grass court tennis :cool:
    Well yeah, I'd be fully amazed if Ward won a singles match. France's 10th choice would fancy their chances v Ward. That said he's a different beast in Davis Cup but he could be thumped here
    Out of Tsonga/Gasquet/Simon, Ward would surely have the best chance of beating Simon. Simon has played well on grass this year but is still defo the least natural one on the surface - minimal variety, uncomfortable at the net. He also has a surprisingly patchy record in DC.

Wardy wouldn't be able to return Tsonga's serve or defend his huge FHs. Against Gasquet, he'd foolishly try to get into BH-BH rallies and Richie would slay him with the BH DTL time and time again.

Ward can get into a fair few of Simon's service games...he won't beat Simon in BH to BH rallies from the back, but he can be successful if he comes forward and volleys to the Simon FH.
    Forum Member
    Brown goes for broke on ROS, but he won't be able to do much if Ivo serves over 70%.

I imagine an awful lot of points will end up with one/both guys at the net. Proper grass court tennis :cool:

Out of Tsonga/Gasquet/Simon, Ward would surely have the best chance of beating Simon. Simon has played well on grass this year but is still defo the least natural one on the surface - minimal variety, uncomfortable at the net. He also has a surprisingly patchy record in DC.

Wardy wouldn't be able to return Tsonga's serve or defend his huge FHs. Against Gasquet, he'd foolishly try to get into BH-BH rallies and Richie would slay him with the BH DTL time and time again.

Ward can get into a fair few of Simon's service games...he won't beat Simon in BH to BH rallies from the back, but he can be successful if he comes forward and volleys to the Simon FH.

He would but to be honest it would still be a massive upset,up there with the biggest of the season

In fairness if you were looking in from another country at Simon vs a guy you'd never heard of, you'd put be inclined to put the bank on Gilles

While Ward can play reasonably good tennis, he's prone to shockers and if I'm honest he could well struggle to be top ten in the pecking order to make the singles where he French! That said Davis Cup is another animal and of course you'd never know

The problem is Simon is very solid, Ward's best hope would have been a Monfils in full on clown mode I think. Simon routined Berdych at Wimbledon, it's what you're up against. In fairness Tomas was hardly fully fit but it's still a serious result

Nothing against ward just that he's ranked around the 100 for a reason. He's woefully inconsistent and even his top level isn't much to write home about. His Davis Cup wins of recent have generally come against one dimensional servebots too, it'd be far tougher hit through Simon who can be like a brick wall at times. He's a good returner too so unless Ward hits a really high fs% he'll be in huge trouble in his own service games

Still nothing is certain in sport and all that

It'd be hilarious in a way if Murray lost and Ward bailed them out :D:D
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,652
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    James Ward sporting the "Amish tramp who got dressed in the dark" look again.

Entire crowd is like The Fanatics. That and Castle on comms I'm not sure how long I can stand it.
  • smudesmude Posts: 17,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Straker wrote: »

Entire crowd is like The Fanatics. That and Castle on comms I'm not sure how long I can stand it.
    The court doesn't look in very good nick.
  • Mike TeeveeMike Teevee Posts: 35,574
    Forum Member
    He would but to be honest it would still be a massive upset,up there with the biggest of the season

In fairness if you were looking in from another country at Simon vs a guy you'd never heard of, you'd put be inclined to put the bank on Gilles

While Ward can play reasonably good tennis, he's prone to shockers and if I'm honest he could well struggle to be top ten in the pecking order to make the singles where he French! That said Davis Cup is another animal and of course you'd never know

The problem is Simon is very solid, Ward's best hope would have been a Monfils in full on clown mode I think. Simon routined Berdych at Wimbledon, it's what you're up against. In fairness Tomas was hardly fully fit but it's still a serious result

Nothing against ward just that he's ranked around the 100 for a reason. He's woefully inconsistent and even his top level isn't much to write home about. His Davis Cup wins of recent have generally come against one dimensional servebots too, it'd be far tougher hit through Simon who can be like a brick wall at times. He's a good returner too so unless Ward hits a really high fs% he'll be in huge trouble in his own service games

Still nothing is certain in sport and all that

It'd be hilarious in a way if Murray lost and Ward bailed them out
    :D:D

So like last year then against Italy? :p
  • lola14lola14 Posts: 3,422
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What's with the socks James!!
    Forum Member
    So like last year then against Italy? :p

ward didn't bail them out

that was a very different murray in fairness. still Jo can be unplayable on his day and bar the semi (ironically the match he lost), I thought Murray wasn't all there at W'don this year
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wardy is using slice/changes of pace well but these rallies are too long. Long rallies are exactly what Gillou wants, he can outrally 95% of the tour. Pretty sure Gillou's been to the net more often than Wardy has. If that continues, Wardy is screwed.
    Straker wrote: »

Eurosport, no?
    smude wrote: »
    The court doesn't look in very good nick.
    O rly?
    Forum Member
    Simon is in full on pusher mode :D:D

Working well though, he's hitting so many balls into James' hitting zone but Ward is too scared to pull the trigger. Against a shotmaker Simon would be eaten alive, but very shrewd tactics here. It's why I thought he was the solid selection for this one
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Loving the carnival atmosphere at Queens.

Why oh why do we have to have Castle commentating this match?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Leon Smith and Arnaud Clement are both Hot!
    Forum Member
    Loving the carnival atmosphere at Queens.

Why oh why do we have to have Castle commentating this match?

I saw people complaining about ticket prices (rightly so perhaps!)

Zero to no chance of future matches like this being cheaper by the looks of things though, crowd is buzzing and packed to capacity!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Simon is in full on pusher mode :D:D

Working well though, he's hitting so many balls into James' hitting zone but Ward is too scared to pull the trigger. Against a shotmaker Simon would be eaten alive, but very shrewd tactics here. It's why I thought he was the solid selection for this one
    Well, the problem is that Wardy's most solid shot is the CC BH, and Simon's BH very rarely breaks down. He'll need to come to the net or target the Simon FH, but Wardy's BH DTL is shaky...as is the FH. FH is too erratic/inconsistent.
This discussion has been closed.