Options

Large overgrown bush, home ownwer has died.

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40,102
Forum Member
A nearby busy street, which serves as a main route to a local primary school, a route to the local shops and generally used all day and night, has a bush which is very, very over grown.

It's covered 95% of the pavement around the house and forcing people to walk on the grassy verge which is now nothing but mud.

Several people in the area have called the council who said they will do nothing because they don't own the property.

The person who owned the property passed away about a year ago and it's been left vacant since. No one is sure what's happening to it but they've never seen anyone go in, there's no for sale sign up and the garden is completely over grown.

The council ask people to get in touch with whoever owns it, but they can't tell the people who call who owns it, if anyone.

Where do we stand here? Should the council actually do something? It'll probably be easier for someone to cut it down themselves but no one can get near enough; it's a massive hedge and it'll need an electric chainsaw putting to it, otherwise it'll take days.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,383
    Forum Member
    You can find out who owns the property via the Land Registry website - costs a couple of quid. That's not much use if it's still registered to the deceased though! Could be subject of a particularly awkward or complex will, in which case ownership could be in limbo for now.

I would have thought the council could deal with the overhanging bit if it's obstructing the path, and send the bill to the estate/executors of the deceased.
  • Options
    tingramretrotingramretro Posts: 10,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The council cannot legally touch private property, though if it actually extends into the road they can cut it back. But there's nothing to stop anyone else cutting it back so I'm a bit puzzled as to why no-one has done so if it's that much of a nuisance.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I advise getting hold of the local ward councillor. Councils are notorious for ignoring members of the public, but strangely when Councillors get involved things often happen! Use the argument that it is difficult for people with mobility problems and that may get quicker action. Alternatively, give the news desk at the local paper a call. They love red tape jobsworth stories!
  • Options
    mimi dlcmimi dlc Posts: 13,423
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd just take my lopping shears to it.
    Leave the clippings in front garden as they are property of whoever (now) owns the house.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The council cannot legally touch private property, though if it actually extends into the road they can cut it back. But there's nothing to stop anyone else cutting it back so I'm a bit puzzled as to why no-one has done so if it's that much of a nuisance.

It's a big obstruction. The reason no one has attempted to cut it back is because it blocks about 30 metres of pavement and the only way would be to use manual sheers which would take ages (no one will do that). There's no way an electric trimmer would reach from any of the nearby houses.
    I advise getting hold of the local ward councillor. Councils are notorious for ignoring members of the public, but strangely when Councillors get involved things often happen! Use the argument that it is difficult for people with mobility problems and that may get quicker action. Alternatively, give the news desk at the local paper a call. They love red tape jobsworth stories!

I'll pass that on. I have no idea who the ward councillor is so I'll leave it for them to find out :p
    mimi dlc wrote: »
    I'd just take my lopping shears to it.
    Leave the clippings in front garden as they are property of whoever (now) owns the house.

As above :p
  • Options
    Bedsit BobBedsit Bob Posts: 24,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's no way an electric trimmer would reach from any of the nearby houses.

Does nobody have a portable generator :confused:
    I'll pass that on. I have no idea who the ward councillor is so I'll leave it for them to find out :p

You don't know who your Councillors are :confused:

You can look up the names, addresses, phone No. and e-mail addresses of all your Councillors (by name and by Ward) on the Council Website, or you could ring, or pop into the Town Hall and ask.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Bedsit Bob wrote: »
    Does nobody have a portable generator :confused:

You don't know who your Councillors are :confused:

You can look up the names, addresses, phone No. and e-mail addresses of all your Councillors (by name and by Ward) on the Council Website, or you could ring, or pop into the Town Hall and ask.

I have no idea if anyone has a portable generator, and I just moved here.

I'm not doing anything about it, I'm just info seeking for someone else.
  • Options
    EspressoEspresso Posts: 18,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's no way an electric trimmer would reach from any of the nearby houses.

An extension lead would.

But if no one is bothered enough to do it I suppose it wil stay undone.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Espresso wrote: »
    An extension lead would.

But if no one is bothered enough to do it I suppose it wil stay undone.

People have been badgering the council to do it to no avail. Like I said, I'm just info seeking to see if the council have to do it. It's too much for someone else to do. It'll take to long and people have lives.

It's "intruding" on a public footpath, it's made the council owned grassy verge turn into sludge (even more so when the snow melts!), it's on a main route to a school (the lollipop lady stands about 10 feet away from it!) and it's generally a nuisance.

I was just looking to see if they had to do anything, but it seems that, as with anything relating to common sense in the UK, it'll be put behind masses of red tape before anything can be done.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 37
    Forum Member
    Rather than constantly complaining someone just needs to get off their bum and cut it back - how hard can it be?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Josie Jump wrote: »
    Rather than constantly complaining someone just needs to get off their bum and cut it back - how hard can it be?

I think the OP has made it very clear that it is a pretty major job, not a half-hour pruning task. Would you like to volunteer?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a big obstruction. The reason no one has attempted to cut it back is because it blocks about 30 metres of pavement and the only way would be to use manual sheers which would take ages (no one will do that). There's no way an electric trimmer would reach from any of the nearby houses.

As above :p
    Round up the neighbours then and get everyone to lend a hand.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Josie Jump wrote: »

If I can get pictures, I will. Seriously, it's a mammoth task. It's about 8 or 9 foot high and about 6 foot wide. It runs for about 100 feet (30 metres). Those are guestimates, but it covers 90% of the pavement which is wide enough for two large prams to be pushed together at the same time (because I seen this happen :p)

In fact, part of it reaches the same height as an upstairs window, that's how high it has got.

(foot, feet? I used both and they both sound right :o:p)
  • Options
    mimi dlcmimi dlc Posts: 13,423
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought it was a single bush- that sounds like a hedge
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14
    Forum Member
    report it to the highways agency , had a similar problem last year with a neighbours hedge and they sorted it out because it was blocking the pavement

cheers
  • Options
    JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How is it everything happens to you, CQ? :D
  • Options
    domedome Posts: 55,878
    Forum Member
    The council normally send the owners a 'threatening' letter and talk of fines.

The council can cut it back back to the boundary so the pavement is clear.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If nobodys home and it's buggin you.... cut it back.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    People have been badgering the council to do it to no avail. Like I said, I'm just info seeking to see if the council have to do it.
    As I said, they cannot legally cut it if it's on private property.
    It's too much for someone else to do. It'll take to long and people have lives.
    Frankly, that's a rather pitiful attitude.

It's "intruding" on a public footpath, it's made the council owned grassy verge turn into sludge (even more so when the snow melts!), it's on a main route to a school (the lollipop lady stands about 10 feet away from it!) and it's generally a nuisance.

I was just looking to see if they had to do anything, but it seems that, as with anything relating to common sense in the UK, it'll be put behind masses of red tape before anything can be done.
    You would prefer it if local authorities were legally free to come into your garden and cut down your hedge, then?:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    spanglemon wrote: »
    report it to the highways agency , had a similar problem last year with a neighbours hedge and they sorted it out because it was blocking the pavement

cheers
    But that would mean taking the trouble to find the Highways Agency's phone number, which is probably even more difficult than finding out who your local Councillors are...:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    But that would mean taking the trouble to find the Highways Agency's phone number, which is probably even more difficult than finding out who your local Councillors are...:rolleyes:

Do you actually want to get off my back?

As I have said twice now, I am finding out what can be done on behalf of someone else. I am not doing anything beyond that, jeez! :rolleyes:

If you want to come to the neighbourhood to tell them how pitiful they are then be my guest, otherwise please only contribute if you actually have something constructive to say rather than trying to attack me for no apparent reason.

To cut the hedge no one will need to get into the garden. It's the overgrowth which is the problem. Although the roots are, the overgrowth is covering the pavement. You can cut branches off a neighbours tree if they "intrude" into your property, so I don't see why this is any different?
  • Options
    Evo102Evo102 Posts: 13,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As I have said twice now, I am finding out what can be done on behalf of someone else. I am not doing anything beyond that, jeez! :rolleyes:
    Well here is some constructive advice. Tell the 'someone else' that they should speak to their local councillor.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it just me that sniggered when I read the thread title? :o

Off to give my mind a bit of a clean
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Evo102 wrote: »
    Well here is some constructive advice. Tell the 'someone else' that they should speak to their local councillor.

Noted, and it's obviously something I'm going to suggest, but with situations like this it always get a little awkward. Perhaps they should get the school involved. I'm sure muddy shoes are going to be an issue :p

I've found lots of information which says you can legally chop down any part of a neighbours tree which comes onto your property (but the owner can ask for the stuff you cut off back!) but I can't seem to find anything clear about this issue. I'm tempted just to tell them to keep pressuring the council or ask the school to help (some of their kids go there).
    Is it just me that sniggered when I read the thread title? :o

Off to give my mind a bit of a clean

To be fair, when I started this thread I thought the same :p
  • Options
    frightleverfrightlever Posts: 1,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Explain to the council that someone got hurt while skirting the bush and you want to know who to put your lawyers onto.

I doubt the hedge will be there in five days time.