Options

Requiem For a dream

DEADLY_17DEADLY_17 Posts: 9,262
Forum Member
Just watched this for the 1st time after my friend recommended it to me and WOW i was blown away. The Acting is Superb and i love the way its filmed. Felt so sorry for the mum :cry: all of them in fact :cry: Its one of those films that really hit me and thats rare.

Anyone else seen this ? If so what did you think of it.

I would strongly Recommend this 9/10 :cool:

Comments

• Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's a disturbing film that should put anyone off using drugs but probably doesn't.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    You get to see Jennifer Connelly's bush :)
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    You get to see Jennifer Connelly's bush :)

Rhododendron I believe.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 283
    Forum Member
    It is a great film. The soundtrack is superb too by Clint Mansell and performed by the Kronos Quartet.

Clint Mansell from the band Pop Will Eat Itself.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I love the soundtrack to.

Its a real mind messing film.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,265
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brilliant film....with 4 unhappy endings:eek:
  • Options
    pearlsandplumspearlsandplums Posts: 29,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ass to ass
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Brilliant film....with 4 unhappy endings:eek:

:cry:

I felt so sorry for the mum :(

Was she taking ecstasy cause the whole teeth grinding and how she never ate etc. Or was it just Sliming pills but drugs in them ?

The whole Arm thing made my stomach turn i dont know how Heroin addicts do it to themselves.

but i liked how this film showed Drugs like that F*ck up your life and you will do anything to get a fix.
  • Options
    Sweet FASweet FA Posts: 10,924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Far too depressing. Trainspotting was at least humorous in parts...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ass to ass

I can stand just about everything in that film but this scene. Hated it and found it vile. (But the gammy arm on Jared Leto was wild)

Ellen Burstyn should have won an Oscar for this movie but sadly she lost to Julia Roberts. if it wasn't for Ellen, I wouldn't have enjoyed this movie much outside the theme song.

I found Spun more enjoyable. (It starred Brittany Murphy and Mickey Rourke) Similiar themes.
  • Options
    Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,328
    Forum Member
    downtonfan wrote: »
    I can stand just about everything in that film but this scene. Hated it and found it vile.
    This could well be the response Aronofsky wanted.

A fantastic film that never flinches from being honest about its subject. There were moments when I wanted to look away, but was glad the film didn't.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, I'm just not into seeing two women bum each other with the use of a giant dildo.
  • Options
    Mr TeacakeMr Teacake Posts: 6,593
    Forum Member
    Heard a lot of raving reviews about this film but stopped watching after 40mins or so. Some of these addicts looked like fashion models (not true in Trainspotting), I hate when Hollywood puts style before substance.
  • Options
    Mark AMark A Posts: 7,692
    Forum Member
    You thought the dildo was inserted in their anuses?

Regards

Mark
  • Options
    warszawawarszawa Posts: 4,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did the tv show actually ring her, or was in all in her head from the beginning?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Mr Teacake wrote: »
    Heard a lot of raving reviews about this film but stopped watching after 40mins or so. Some of these addicts looked like fashion models (not true in Trainspotting), I hate when Hollywood puts style before substance.
    I too thought the film a little too flash at first, but one of the ideas of the film is that it's doing what drugs do, i.e. it speeds up whenever drugs are actually used or seen onscreen, as if excited. Exteriors are shot weirdly, like interiors, giving it a close, claustrophobic feel, and so on and so forth.

Yes, these drug addicts are glamourous, but they reflect how drugs are seen as glamourous (by some) and also how drugs can glamourise (or at least normalise) ugliness, squalor etc, and make them acceptable. And their downward spiral at the end is relentless - a horrible ordeal for them and us. But why shouldn't it be? The near-vertical descent from the previous 'glamour' to the grim reality is key to the film's power.

It is a very stylised film, but it was done for very good reasons.
  • Options
    rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have never seen but Darren Aronofsky films are good so I envisage that this film will be of quality as we found with The Wrestler and Black Swan.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    They looked glamourous in the beginning because thats how Those sort of drugs work on some people your on top of the world they were making alot of money, but when the money stopped and the drugs got harder to find they lost it. I think film was amazingly done.

Heroin is such a dirty drug.
  • Options
    Hutchy_MuseHutchy_Muse Posts: 7,083
    Forum Member
    One of my favourite films of all time, think Aronofsky is an excellent director, the cast were brilliant and the soundtrack was superb. I also love the whole seasons linking up to the general mood of the film.

Has anyone read the book?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Has anyone read the book?
    Alas not. I keep meaning to, but I've read some of Hubert Selby Jr's other stuff and it wasn't quite to my taste. Will be interesting to hear from someone who has mind.
  • Options
    PunksNotDeadPunksNotDead Posts: 21,298
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Film gave me a headache:mad:
  • Options
    Forum Member

Details why :cool:
  • Options
    rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DEADLY_17 wrote: »
    Details why :cool:

Maybe it is ahving to watch all those people taking drugs or maybe it has a dodgy sountrack?
  • Options
    PunksNotDeadPunksNotDead Posts: 21,298
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To many fast cuts. I understand that its to do with all the drug's the characters take but just found the film to much for one sitting and needed a breather half way through! Love Clint Mansells Soundtrack BTW except when it is used for stupid reality TV shows!