Options

Will Leicester winning the title make the big clubs spend less

owen10owen10 Posts: 127,999
Forum Member
✭✭✭✭
Well it has been proven that you can win the league by not buying big. So will this make the big clubs look at their spending and maybe buy players that they need, instead of buying players because they are the best players in the world

Comments

• Options
    sodavlacsodavlac Posts: 10,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd say the opposite is likely. An unfancied team winning it, with a slightly surprising team currently in 2nd too might make them think next season's title is up for grabs and a spending war of sorts could well ensue this summer.

Can definitely see City and Chelsea spending big with their new managers, and if Mourinho comes to Old Trafford I suspect he'll want a few players. It'll be Klopp's first proper chance to shape the Liverpool squad too, and whilst he doesn't strike me as the type to spend willy-nilly, he could end up spending a fair whack, particularly if he has eyes on any of his old Dortmund players.

Wenger will Wenger if he's still there. :D Spurs and their Champions League money could spend a bit too, although that might well be on young up-and-comers.
  • Options
    Jedi_KnightJedi_Knight Posts: 613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Money is not the factor here, it;s do to with performance.

Why have Man Utd won the PL more than anyone else?

Answer:

Performance.
  • Options
    celesticelesti Posts: 26,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Clubs do buy players they need. Sometimes they cost a lot of money.
  • Options
    Stilton CheesewStilton Cheesew Posts: 782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Clubs may feel under more pressure to spend more wisely if they feel that the perceived smaller clubs are a bigger threat.

In reality this may make it even harder for young players to break through or for the bigger clubs to take a chance on lesser players.
  • Options
    The_don1The_don1 Posts: 17,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So because the spending big money method has not worked for one season and has for just about every other season they are going to change their business models? While of course its not due to spending big clubs have been successful there is no need to change what has worked in the past just to one season which for all we know at the moment might be a one off
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,925
    Forum Member

Answer:

Performance.

Or perhaps because they had one of the best managers of all time maybe.
  • Options
    misawa97misawa97 Posts: 11,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Of course not. I think people are looking at Leicester and making far too many conclusions from it.

Leicester from the first team to backroom staff clearly have a fantastic set up in place which has enabled this success. It's not really as simple as not spending much money.

There are plenty of other clubs in the EPL who don't spend much money and guess what there league position is no different to what it usually is.
  • Options
    leicslad46leicslad46 Posts: 3,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will be interesting to see how the premier league big four respond in this summer. Will it be it another 20 or so years before a team outside manchester and london become premier league champions again

Leicester have ripped up the rule book this season and shown that money doesnt always buy you success. The thing that wins you titles is a strong desire and spirit of in it together to succeed
  • Options
    sodavlacsodavlac Posts: 10,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Answer:

Performance.

Sounds like circular reasoning. The league table is the measure of performance by which every team is judged, and everyone's aim is register as good a record (performance) as possible in that league table. Does it not go without saying that the best performing team wins the title, and the team that has performed better most often would have the most titles?

One of the main factors that can influence performance is money spent acquiring desirable players who go on to help their team perform well. As a United fan I'm not going to pretend that being able to splash out on the likes of Ferdinand and Rooney didn't give us a big competitive edge over those teams who didn't or couldn't.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

Answer:

Performance.
    Or perhaps because they had one of the best managers of all time maybe.

and the best players
  • Options
    leicslad46leicslad46 Posts: 3,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From 2013/2014 season to this Chelseas wage bill has increased by £25.6m to £215.6m

leicester citys wage bill increased by £11.6m from 2014/2015 to this season to £48.2m.
    (no figures for 2013/2014)

You can splash the cash and have a great season that delivers the title but as leicester city have shown you dont necessarily have to do that. Spending less reaps alot more if you invest wisely
  • Options
    Forum Member
    leicslad46 wrote: »
    Will be interesting to see how the premier league big four respond in this summer. Will it be it another 20 or so years before a team outside manchester and london become premier league champions again

Leicester have ripped up the rule book this season and shown that money doesnt always buy you success. The thing that wins you titles is a strong desire and spirit of in it together to succeed

I think it will be longer than 20 years, I really think this is a freak event.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    leicslad46 wrote: »
    From 2013/2014 season to this Chelseas wage bill has increased by £25.6m to £215.6m

leicester citys wage bill increased by £11.6m from 2014/2015 to this season to £48.2m.
    (no figures for 2013/2014)

You can splash the cash and have a great season that delivers the title but as leicester city have shown you dont necessarily have to do that. Spending less reaps alot more if you invest wisely

While i'm not taking anything away from Leicester, they have struck in a year when Chelsea imploded, Man City are 'between managers' and Man Utd are still stuck in a rut. If Arsenal ever get rid of Wenger as well they will be a force to be reckoned with and Liverpool can only improve. I don't think we will see this happen again for a long, long time.
  • Options
    allafixallafix Posts: 20,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Next season all the PL teams will have even more money to spend due to the new TV deal. I can't see them all deciding to spend less as a result of Leicester's success (low spending is not going to consistently do better than high spending anyway). I'm pretty sure spending will get even more out of control in the coming years.

Leicester have shown what can be done in very unusual circumstances (the usual top teams underperforming and Leicester not having too many injury problems). Had Arsenal not dropped so many points since Christmas they would surely have finished above Leicester. The real lesson here for other clubs is not about spending but that Ranieri made Leicester very hard to beat. Only three defeats so far this season.

However, Leicester's spending will have to increase if they want to stay at the top. The squad may not have cost much to assemble, but it is now worth vastly more by virtue of winning the title. They will have to spend more in wages just to keep this squad together. If they want a run in the Champions League they will need to buy several more quality players. Finding yet more hidden gems in lower leagues is not really a viable option.

If they try and stay at the top the risks are high as they would have to maintain spending at a much higher level year after year. Failure to succeed doing that could lead to financial disaster. Leicester might be better advised to cash in on Vardy, Mahrez and Kante and settle for mid table mediocrity. The fans won't like it though.
  • Options
    soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spend less, I doubt it. Clubs with the deepest pockets will always get into a bidding war for the best players and pay over the top fees.
  • Options
    CMCM Posts: 33,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    e
    soulboy77 wrote: »
    Spend less, I doubt it. Clubs with the deepest pockets will always get into a bidding war for the best players and pay over the top fees.

The best players and managers from abroad have proved they can't do any better in helping a so called English club to win in Europe , and with Leicester winning premiership it proves how bad so called English clubs are. :cool:
  • Options
    TheMunchTheMunch Posts: 9,024
    Forum Member
    CM wrote: »
    e

The best players and managers from abroad have proved they can't do any better in helping a so called English club to win in Europe , and with Leicester winning premiership it proves how bad so called English clubs are. :cool:

Why are they "so called"? Makes it sound like there are doubts as to whether clubs in the Premier League are actually English (minus Welsh teams), unless you're referring to them having foreign owners, managers and players.
  • Options
    CMCM Posts: 33,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Answer:

Performance.

Exactly and in Europe with a British manager . Managers from abroad aren't winning so called English clubs anything :cool:
  • Options
    celesticelesti Posts: 26,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great so called points
  • Options
    Jedi_KnightJedi_Knight Posts: 613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Exactly and in Europe with a British manager . Managers from abroad aren't winning so called English clubs anything :cool:

1. Alex Ferguson is Scottish not British.

2. Managers from abroad can win with the right squad and right performance.
  • Options
    roddydogsroddydogs Posts: 10,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ars beat Leic twice, Chel beat Ars twice, funny old game
  • Options
    Forum Member

Your opinion will be considered ridiculous by everyone while you continue to say 'so called' English clubs.
  • Options
    Mark FMark F Posts: 54,024
    Forum Member
    e
    Leicester winning premiership it proves how bad so called English clubs are. :cool:

Well even Leicester have overseas owners/an overseas manager and a number of their key players are from overseas...
  • Options
    mimik1ukmimik1uk Posts: 46,701
    Forum Member
    if anything this summer will probably see more money spent than ever before in the PL

we have new managers at chelsea and city, possibly a new manager at utd, klopp as well will be having his first proper transfer window after not doing much in january. leicester and tottenham will be looking to improve their squads before the CL next season and who knows what wenger will do, we know arsenal have the money. in addition we have west ham coming off a good season and about to move into the olympic stadium.

all of that on top of the money from the new TV deal for all clubs.
  • Options
    Tal'shiarTal'shiar Posts: 2,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I doubt it, in fact I doubt anything will change other than perhaps given lower league players a bit more of a look in, nothing much but a little more perhaps.

I wish they did though, so all the moronic players can go and play for Real Madrid and Barca, then that league can be filled up with its typical collection of crap players with zero personality and they can enjoy the worlds most boring league with all the useless arsehole players.