The Big Bang Theory - Season 6 - E4 - 15th Nov - 8pm (UK Pace)

Comments

• Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's quite telling that the more they made the show "mainstream" the higher and higher the ratings shot in the US. I don't see them reverting back again, not many shows gain viewers after 5/6 seasons.

I loved Friends, but I liked TBBT for different reasons so I don't think it's working turning it into almost a clone of it.
  • dofferdoffer Posts: 2,746
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Awful episode.
  • agrainofsandagrainofsand Posts: 8,693
    Forum Member
    Not a great episode but I loved Sheldon knocking on the wall above Penny's bed.
  • MuzeMuze Posts: 2,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Disappointing, certainly dumbed down considerably :(
  • HMOHMO Posts: 42,134
    Forum Member
    Joe_Zel wrote: »
    :confused: He's an actor playing a character and you're confused because he's not the same as them?

I'm confused by your confusion.

I'm confused because won't the actor feel uncomfortable/find the situation awkward (despite acting)?

Also, reading that Neil Harris from How I Met Your Mother is openly gay is interesting considering the sexual relationships with females his character has had on the show, and it has shown to be pretty serious.
  • Sifter22Sifter22 Posts: 12,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ughhh, filled with all that relationship rubbish again.
  • jcafcwjcafcw Posts: 11,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The only worthwhile scene was Sheldon and Penny.

Apart from that I am struggling.
  • LowriLowri Posts: 3,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hassaan13 wrote: »
    I'm confused because won't the actor feel uncomfortable/find the situation awkward (despite acting)?

Only as much as straight actors feel when playing a gay character. As you say, it's acting. I should imagine it would be more awkward between two straight people who may be in relationships of their own.
  • jcafcwjcafcw Posts: 11,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Also, reading that Neil Harris from How I Met Your Mother is openly gay is interesting considering the sexual relationships with females his character has had on the show, and it has shown to be pretty serious.

Let's be honest it is not as if he is having to portray he is passionately in love with Amy is it?

And what has gone wrong with his hair?
  • R410R410 Posts: 2,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I couldn't believe it when I found out, after seeing him play a straight man so convincingly.
  • thetvkingthetvking Posts: 333
    Forum Member
    jcafcw wrote: »

He is taking tips from Donald Trump :eek:

As with most things money talks and I can only see Big Bang devolving to the "Friends" space to maintain viewing numbers in the US. CBS likes the mainstream.
  • Stefano92Stefano92 Posts: 66,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm at US pace and the first 2 episodes are quite poor. But from Episode 4 onwards, it is brilliant, and IMO the best season since S3.
  • C14EC14E Posts: 32,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sheldon and Penny was alright and I liked the 3 girls at the end (particularly Amy's "dog" line).

Generally I think it has been a slow start to this season partly due to having too many couples. Where they went wrong with the two new female characters was in having them so closely tied to Howard and Sheldon from the start. I don't see how they could move forward with the two new girls in the show but not dating the two guys. The show was always going to hit that particular obstacle with Leonard and Penny - it's the whole premise that he's madly in love with her. Like Ross and Rachel or Niles and Daphne we know they'll end up together. The problem is that they've now got 3 couples and one spare character in Raj (although now they're trying to pair him up with Stuart).

And by putting Penny in a friend group with Amy and Bernadette and dating Leonard on off for so many years, they've slightly reduced the basic comedy in the show which was the contrast between the geeks lifestyle and her lifestyle.

Ideally they need a female out of their reach. IIRC Sheldon had a hot twin sister. She moves to LA, becomes best friends (maybe moves in) with Penny. Howard and the guys lust after her and so on but never actually get her. It might restore the balance a bit even if just for one season. Obviously it doesn't have to be Sheldon's sister, but they just need someone in to fill that role, IMO.

They also need to get Howard back on planet earth.
  • SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm relieved to see others here saying that the latest episode wasn't too good. I've not been watching the programme that long and thought that maybe I was just getting bored of it already!
  • AmbassadorAmbassador Posts: 22,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Woefully stale episode.

Sheldon has become a caricatured version of himself.

It felt very stale. As much as I loved Blossom, adding a love interest for Sheldon could only kill the show.
  • Stefano92Stefano92 Posts: 66,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ambassador wrote: »
    Woefully stale episode.

Sheldon has become a caricatured version of himself.

It felt very stale. As much as I loved Blossom, adding a love interest for Sheldon could only kill the show.

Sheldon will be back to the old Sheldon very soon! :)
  • HMOHMO Posts: 42,134
    Forum Member
    Salv* wrote: »
    Sheldon will be back to the old Sheldon very soon! :)

Do you know something we don't? :D but don't spoil it too much.
    jcafcw wrote: »
    Let's be honest it is not as if he is having to portray he is passionately in love with Amy is it?

Well not much, just the odd 'awkward' dates. In terms of Barney (Neil Harris) off How I Met Your Mother, despite being gay he has had to portray being passionately in love with Robin, and the characters sharing a kiss etc. That's what I don't get.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    C14E wrote: »
    Sheldon and Penny was alright and I liked the 3 girls at the end (particularly Amy's "dog" line).

Generally I think it has been a slow start to this season partly due to having too many couples. Where they went wrong with the two new female characters was in having them so closely tied to Howard and Sheldon from the start. I don't see how they could move forward with the two new girls in the show but not dating the two guys. The show was always going to hit that particular obstacle with Leonard and Penny - it's the whole premise that he's madly in love with her. Like Ross and Rachel or Niles and Daphne we know they'll end up together. The problem is that they've now got 3 couples and one spare character in Raj (although now they're trying to pair him up with Stuart).

And by putting Penny in a friend group with Amy and Bernadette and dating Leonard on off for so many years, they've slightly reduced the basic comedy in the show which was the contrast between the geeks lifestyle and her lifestyle.

Ideally they need a female out of their reach. IIRC Sheldon had a hot twin sister. She moves to LA, becomes best friends (maybe moves in) with Penny. Howard and the guys lust after her and so on but never actually get her. It might restore the balance a bit even if just for one season. Obviously it doesn't have to be Sheldon's sister, but they just need someone in to fill that role, IMO.

They also need to get Howard back on planet earth.

Spot on analysis I think.

Having Howard off planet has slightly unbalanced the show and combined with the " "everybody's a couple" vibe, the start of the season has been very flat.

Reasons to be optimistic though....

-The Raj/ Stuart plot could work very well if handled subtly....

-Howard will be back soon I guess....

-The Penny/Leonard axis is the heart of the show and will continue (no doubt off/on/off/on etc.) This can work well if done with good writing and performances eg. Sam/Diane in Cheers or Niles/Daphne on Frasier
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No more than a straight person playing a gay character.
    Or any actor straight/gay or bisexual playing a relationship when they have a real life partner.

Or any other situation that might make an actor slightly uncomfortable.

As for Sheldon, he's hardly portraying a passionate love affair with Amy.
  • ListentomeListentome Posts: 9,804
    Forum Member

If you're confused by that then are you confused by an actor playing any role that is far removed from their real life? Acting is make believe, those who do it put aside embarrassment. Relationship and love scenes can be uncomfortable for any actor. But I'm sure they cope when they receive their pay cheque. ;-) Beside plenty of straight actors play gay characters and no one confuses it with their real life, so it's no different the other way round.

Best
  • bazellisbazellis Posts: 5,405
    Forum Member
    Salv* wrote: »
    I'm at US pace and the first 2 episodes are quite poor. But from Episode 4 onwards, it is brilliant, and IMO the best season since S3.

Don't listen to this. This season is plain awful wi no endearing qualities. It has turned into Friends pure and simple:mad:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bazellis wrote: »
    Don't listen to this. This season is plain awful wi no endearing qualities. It has turned into Friends pure and simple:mad:

Don't listen to this, this poster obviously doesn't know what an opinion is.

Just watch it for yourself and make your mind up.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Joe_Zel wrote: »
    Don't listen to this, this poster obviously doesn't know what an opinion is.

Just watch it for yourself and make your mind up.

Agreed, and personally I'm rather liking this season!
  • YesYes Posts: 364
    Forum Member
    I've tried to watch this show quite a few times but the humor is absolutely dire and retarded.

The type of show little kids should watch
  • zwixxxzwixxx Posts: 10,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes wrote: »
    I've tried to watch this show quite a few times but the humor is absolutely dire and retarded.

The type of show little kids should watch

If the humour isn't your cuppa-t you could always just watch it for Penny's breasts. :)