Options

Children and gaming.

2»

Comments

• Options
    modeyinkmodeyink Posts: 2,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My child is 6 (7 next month) and I don't limit his time on consoles or the iPad. He plays what he wants, when he wants, coming off it to help tidy up or do homework, etc. In warmer weather he'd rather be playing out but now, in winter, he's pretty much glued to games. Gaming is what stimulates his mind and holds his attention so... *shrug* He gets plenty of exercise elsewhere.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    I don't even have COD, don't see the need for it.

LBP is popular, but for shooters they like R3 online
  • Options
    kaniakania Posts: 6,252
    Forum Member
    beemoh wrote: »
    Have you tried him on LittleBigPlanet?

Yeah but it was a while ago, probably a couple of years His fingers weren't good at pressing the shoulder buttons to grab things. May try again though now he's about an inch bigger.. lol.
    tommyd1258 wrote: »
    I'm a trainee teacher and I've heard children aged 9 talk about playing adult games like Assassin's Creed 3 and Black Ops 2, which I find quite poor form on behalf of parents. Not just video games but films too - even a Year 3 child (age 7-8) talking about the film Ted (rated 18, lots of drugs and sex references). I know it's hard if they've got older siblings but it's not really an excuse. I've also seen children be tired in school, but not necessarily because of video games. It's incredibly frustrating as a teacher when they stay up late for whatever reason, don't eat breakfast etc.

Ok.. this sounds really bad, but my 5 year old has played those games. Now... the call of duty games, he's only ever played multi-player, and the number of times he's been on it, I can count on one hand. I don't think the early multiplayer games were at all bad, but the latest one is more graphic I thought.

Mind you, the zombie spin off is more graphic with limbs being blown off etc. I had to drag my son out of a neighbours house when he was 3, as he watching a couple of their boys, age 5 and 6 playing it. That shocked me a bit lol.

AC3, I've turned the blood off, and he just runs around and up buildings. He isn't playing the campaign. And if he does happen to press a button that kills someone, it just looks like he's giving them a smacker to the cheek!

I wouldn't want my son to see anything with a lot of blood, or anything sadistic, but a little of blood and death can be seen on daytime telly.
  • Options
    LilaethLilaeth Posts: 750
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My 6-year old nephew is currently into the Lego games. He's also allowed to play his EQ2 character for a few hours a week, and my sister logs in to play alongside him. I sometimes join them at weekends, time difference allowing. It's a great way fro me to interact with a nephew who's been in Australia since he was 2, and who's only seen me on Skype!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Lilaeth wrote: »
    My 6-year old nephew is currently into the Lego games. He's also allowed to play his EQ2 character for a few hours a week, and my sister logs in to play alongside him. I sometimes join them at weekends, time difference allowing. It's a great way fro me to interact with a nephew who's been in Australia since he was 2, and who's only seen me on Skype!

What's EQ2? If your nephew is into superheros, he might the Super Hero Squad online game. That's good fun and my son enjoys it.
  • Options
    beemohbeemoh Posts: 7,073
    Forum Member
    kania wrote: »
    What's EQ2?

Most likely EverQuest 2- basically, another World of Warcraft, but a bit more human-looking.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    beemoh wrote: »
    Most likely EverQuest 2- basically, another World of Warcraft, but a bit more human-looking.

Thanks for the info. Will make sure ds avoids that then! :D
  • Options
    StrmChaserSteveStrmChaserSteve Posts: 2,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This just popped up on Reuters

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/01/29/us-britain-videogames-children-idUSBRE90S0DO20130129

UK children's magazine promotes adult video games

"awesome hitman pictures"?

Glorify Gun Violence to under 12's?

These are "18" rated games, so it's real simple.
    It means 18 years old or higher
  • Options
    beemohbeemoh Posts: 7,073
    Forum Member
    UK children's magazine promotes adult video games

Ugh, this is going to be portrayed as some great games industry conspiracy against children when it's really just one lazy copywriter failing to engage their brain.

The next few weeks should be fun. :rolleyes: