Chelsea Supporters Thread (Part 5)

Comments

• HeavenlyHeavenly Posts: 31,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a match - a real throwback to the old blood and guts derby.

Clattenburg lost control of the game. We are no angels, we'd be biggest hypocrites to say we are, especially with Diego in our team, but Spurs lost their heads especially after Eden's goal, that's inexperience when the pressure is really on. First team in PL history to receive 9 yellow cards in a single game. They were overcome with the emotion of the game and stopped focusing on what they needed to do.

I'd expect Dembele to miss the end of the season.

Guus also got pushed over during the fracas at the end of the game.

Eden's goal, he has been missing all season but what a game to wake up! As we know form is temporary......

Loved JT's instagram post - "Not On My Watch"

This man needs one more season, the blood and guts came directly from him last night.

Congratulations to Leicester City and to a true gent, Claudio. Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy.
  • JokanovicJokanovic Posts: 12,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Heavenly wrote: »
    What a match - a real throwback to the old blood and guts derby.

Clattenburg lost control of the game. We are no angels, we'd be biggest hypocrites to say we are, especially with Diego in our team, but Spurs lost their heads especially after Eden's goal, that's inexperience when the pressure is really on. First team in PL history to receive 9 yellow cards in a single game. They were overcome with the emotion of the game and stopped focusing on what they needed to do.

I'd expect Dembele to miss the end of the season.

Guus also got pushed over during the fracas at the end of the game.

Eden's goal, he has been missing all season but what a game to wake up! As we know form is temporary......

Loved JT's instagram post - "Not On My Watch"

This man needs one more season, the blood and guts came directly from him last night.

Congratulations to Leicester City and to a true gent, Claudio. Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy.

According to some United fans on here it was all our fault but there you go, they obviously have some issues

I think Clattenburg allowed the bad tackles to go on too early at the start and Spurs just lost control of themselves.

It shouldn't mask a shocking season but its a small crumb of comfort, an enjoyable one at that.
  • MichPlatMichPlat Posts: 2,614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jokanovic wrote: »
    According to some United fans on here it was all our fault but there you go, they obviously have some issues

I think Clattenburg allowed the bad tackles to go on too early at the start and Spurs just lost control of themselves.

It shouldn't mask a shocking season but its a small crumb of comfort, an enjoyable one at that.

I agree with what you said about him letting too much to early on . Ivanovic made 4 bookable fouls in the first ten minutes and didn't even get a warning . Then the Spurs right back seemed to lose his head completely after that ..
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just wondering how you guys feel about the team letting you all down this season.

After seeing how well they played last night , plus the determination and effort they put in just shows they kinda short changed the fans somewhat .
  • The_don1The_don1 Posts: 17,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Think its emotive nonsense to use words like "let down" and "short changed".

For a number of reasons some plain to see and some not they have just not been good enough this season. Even last night in many ways we was still not good enough for parts of the game.

These things happen sometimes (maybe quite to this extent)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MichPlat wrote: »
    I agree with what you said about him letting too much to early on . Ivanovic made 4 bookable fouls in the first ten minutes and didn't even get a warning . Then the Spurs right back seemed to lose his head completely after that ..

Both Spurs full backs and Ivanovic should of been booked in the first 15 mins. Perhaps it would of changed things, perhaps not.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The_don1 wrote: »
    Think its emotive nonsense to use words like "let down" and "short changed".

For a number of reasons some plain to see and some not they have just not been good enough this season. Even last night in many ways we was still not good enough for parts of the game.

These things happen sometimes (maybe quite to this extent)

Surely it's just not acceptable to play with no heart or commitment all season but then turn on the afterburners for one night .

The Chelsea season ticket holders deserve a bladdy refund imho .
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MichPlat wrote: »
    Surely it's just not acceptable to play with no heart or commitment all season but then turn on the afterburners for one night .

The Chelsea season ticket holders deserve a bladdy refund imho .

These are professional athletes.

They have just not been good enough this season,

They have been trying but its just not worked for a number of different reasons.

They did not "turn on the afterburners" etc. They slowly have been playing themselves into form and yesterday was a natural result of that.

I have no wish to have a refund
  • roddydogsroddydogs Posts: 10,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Chelsea played well"? , yes but only on the second half FH was rubbish.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know what the atmosphere is like when we play Spurs normally, but my friend was there Monday night & said it was ratched up a whole new level on Monday night!

Journalist tweeted this after the game.

https://twitter.com/CFCTransfers/status/727791019283058688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know what the atmosphere is like when we play Spurs normally, but my friend was there Monday night & said it was ratched up a whole new level on Monday night!

Journalist tweeted this after the game.

https://twitter.com/CFCTransfers/status/727791019283058688

It was one of the best for a while I have to say.

Think it was a mixture of reasons from it being their best chance to ending the awful run to us wanting to ensure they could not win the title to the sort of game it was etc etc also maybe it was a evening game and although we had a normal mixture of "tourists" at the game (there was more ticket touts outside the ground then has been for quite a while) there was a few more older faces about who prob not as regular as they might have been in the past so was really up for the game.

While I understand it was a taunt etc not sure I agree with the singing of Leicester's name. Of course they champions and deserve credit don't think singing another teams name is something I like
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    While I understand it was a taunt etc not sure I agree with the singing of Leicester's name. Of course they champions and deserve credit don't think singing another teams name is something I like

I agree with that. Have no problem singing Claudio's name though, lovely guy and even though his sacking proved correct at the time, does not mean that Chelsea fans do not still hold him in high regard as a person.

I find it strange that I keep hearing and reading that Spurs fans are proud that their players got down and dirty against us. Showed they couldn't be bullied? "We showed them!" Errr, not really! Whilst I agree, you need an element of that in every team. Look at Arsenal, they are crying out for a couple of those type of players. But you have to know when it's needed and when it's not. Of course, we don't always get it right!

But they completely lost it after Eden scored, if they had kept their head, with the state of our defence, they would have probably got the winner, but they let the emotion of the occasion get to them.

And they are also looking at losing a pivotal player for the rest of the season and possibly beginning of the next season, as I said, you need to know when to use that physicality and when not to.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree with that. Have no problem singing Claudio's name though, lovely guy and even though his sacking proved correct at the time, does not mean that Chelsea fans do not still hold him in high regard as a person.

I find it strange that I keep hearing and reading that Spurs fans are proud that their players got down and dirty against us. Showed they couldn't be bullied? "We showed them!" Errr, not really! Whilst I agree, you need an element of that in every team. Look at Arsenal, they are crying out for a couple of those type of players. But you have to know when it's needed and when it's not. Of course, we don't always get it right!

But they completely lost it after Eden scored, if they had kept their head, with the state of our defence, they would have probably got the winner, but they let the emotion of the occasion get to them.

And they are also looking at losing a pivotal player for the rest of the season and possibly beginning of the next season, as I said, you need to know when to use that physicality and when not to.

Yep have no problem with the Claudio chant he was a important part of Chelsea's history.

You need to fight in the right way and Spur's did not, Fighting in the right way would have either resulted in it staying 2-1 or scoring a very late goal.

Getting a draw was only a good result for one team, We did not need to beat Spurs, It would not have made the slightest difference to our season or us improving our form on the pitch, There was no difference between losing or drawing for Spur's either was not a good result in equal measure. Its not about who they was playing or their record at a certain ground all that was totally immaterial at this point. They needed to get 3 points and the best way to do that is to stick to the game plan that has served them well this season,

For us it was about who we was playing and the record at a certain ground, They got sucked into playing the wrong game. They needed to treat it like they was playing any other team at any other ground. That's what teams that win or genuinely compete for titles season after season do. Never thought they could have won the title even if they had won BUT it would have been a massive step in the right direction, Yes they have made a massive improvement this season but this was the final hurdle and they tripped over it.

For example I think if roles was reversed and they had a free kick where Willian had it in the last seconds they would have tried to score, Brilliant if it worked but the right thing to do as we had the result we needed was to ensure they did not get a goal kick etc
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Press reporting just now it could be as much as a 10 game ban for Dembele, which I think would be excessive.

But goes to what I said previously, there is a fine line with getting physical and trying to wind up the opposition and it totally backfiring on you.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Press reporting just now it could be as much as a 10 game ban for Dembele, which I think would be excessive.

But goes to what I said previously, there is a fine line with getting physical and trying to wind up the opposition and it totally backfiring on you.

That really would not be right.

Ok it was bad but no more then a normal red card ban is needed.

Everyone played a role in the situation and what happened but 10 games is just going too far. If it was a ban for the rest of the season I don't think that would out of order
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sunderland showed the right type of fight today unlike Spurs in the week. Of course we was not at our best but nor was we against Spurs.

I am sure they are moaning about us "not trying" today etc as is the want of people who make excuses and blame anybody and everyone but the right party. But at the end of the day Sunderland showed they are made of the right stuff when it was really needed.

Was always going to be the tougher of our two games this week and i think showed for all the talk of us improving from the start of the season its not really been as much as it should have been.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We really should of put the game out of sight before they equalised. The team over passes at times, I hope Conte makes us a bit more direct.

Aside from a nasty tackle from Cattermole, you're right in that Sunderland played it the right manner. Lots of spirit but not over the top.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its was the type of game a team that either has a very good chance of winning the title or staying up in a very tight dogfight at the bottom of the league played (one we have played many times to great success over recent years), The mentality needed is the same in both cases.
  • carefree_bluecarefree_blue Posts: 9,025
    Forum Member
    Didn't see the game, but with our season already over and also wanting Newcastle to go down I was happy for Sunderland to win.

Relegation with Newcastle is something that Rafa will soon be able to add to his CV on his website. At the end of the day the results haven't been good enough for them in the games that mattered most.
  • RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very sad to see John Terry get sent off. If that ends up being his last game for Chelsea, it's not the way any fan would want to see him go.

I didn't see the game, only the MOTD highlights. We again looked a bit of a shambles at the back. Guus made the point that we could have had another couple of goals, but scoring two goals away from home should be enough to get something out of any game.

On the subject of defences, did anyone watch the Leicester game ? Everton were awful in defence, they could have conceded 6 or 7 and it wouldn't have flattered Leicester. I really don't want us to be pursuing Stones again this summer, he's not even close to the quality we need right now.
    Forum Member
    ^ Just been watching the MOTD highlights too. Terry should be back for the Leicester game, it's just the midweek game he's out of I think.

Agree about Stones. Didn't want him last summer and after this season I certainly haven't changed my mind.
  • roddydogsroddydogs Posts: 10,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Terry is banned for TWO games as its his second red in a season, so hes played his last (Daily Mirror).
    Forum Member
    Oh I did wonder if he got sent off earlier in the season but wasn't certain. I remember now though, it was that West Brom away game.

I wouldn't be surprised if the club don't end up re-signing him for another season. Think it would be a mistake not to.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I highly doubt the club will give him a new contract. It's clearly due to non football reasons he is being let go. When Rafa was giving the job getting rid of JT was part of his remit.

Much like the real story of this season I don't think we will find out everything that has gone on behind closed doors but the stories we know combined with those we don't know is why he is leaving Chelsea.
  • JerrynJerryn Posts: 151
    Forum Member
    I highly doubt the club will give him a new contract. It's clearly due to non football reasons he is being let go. When Rafa was giving the job getting rid of JT was part of his remit.

Much like the real story of this season I don't think we will find out everything that has gone on behind closed doors but the stories we know combined with those we don't know is why he is leaving Chelsea.

He is being linked with a mega money move to China. Seems credible after his tour last summer. Real shame he is not going to get a new deal and will not get to play his last game at the Bridge.