Options

When will we get regional HD BBC One services on Freeview HD?

13»

Comments

• Options
    Roy_ColdrickRoy_Coldrick Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    My concern is that since regional news in my area is only transmitted in SD , my new (proposed) TV will need to upscale to 4K to view it and from demo's in high st retailers this is something which is not that special.
    So it seems that come local news time I switch from my HD channel 101 to the SD channel 1 to get a worse picture and then go back to 101 when that is over.

While one might argue that it is hardly a pain I would also suggest it is hardly progress.

Second point is that , being a pensioner who 'likes to make the morning last' I tend to take a cuppa back to bed and watch morning TV for an hour or so. The channel switching now does become a pain since they switch to local news every 30 minutes.

Perhaps I misunderstand but It would be fine if I could tell the 4K Tv to display in HD where the upscaling from SD to HD would be perhaps more watchable. I guess that would reduce the image size though.

Please explain.

Roy
  • Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My concern is that since regional news in my area is only transmitted in SD , my new (proposed) TV will need to upscale to 4K to view it and from demo's in high st retailers this is something which is not that special.
    So it seems that come local news time I switch from my HD channel 101 to the SD channel 1 to get a worse picture and then go back to 101 when that is over.

While one might argue that it is hardly a pain I would also suggest it is hardly progress.

Second point is that , being a pensioner who 'likes to make the morning last' I tend to take a cuppa back to bed and watch morning TV for an hour or so. The channel switching now does become a pain since they switch to local news every 30 minutes.

Perhaps I misunderstand but It would be fine if I could tell the 4K Tv to display in HD where the upscaling from SD to HD would be perhaps more watchable. I guess that would reduce the image size though.

Please explain.

Roy
    A 4K TV has approximately 4 screen pixels for every one in a Full HD TV. So to display a "HD" image it would either display the same thing in a block of four pixels for each original pixel, or display a 1920x1080 pixel image (approx 1/4 the screen size) in the middle of the screen with massive black borders all round it. Neither option would really work that well.

Given the limitations of broadcast SD, (which is not just resolution but the amount of processing applied to reduce the bit rate to squeeze the maximum number of channels into the available space), upscaling SD to even HD can be pretty naff let alone going up to 4K.
  • Options
    tedjrrtedjrr Posts: 2,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ....By that time, of course, we'll be almost at the start of DSO3(?) aka 600 MHz clearance and HD / DVB-T2 will be likely to become the de facto standard - for the BBC anyway. :D

Possibly the mux planning for DSO/2 would be around the regional service element, rather than by owner. So, BBC MUX1 and D3&4 MUX2 would get reorganised into muxes supporting sub-regional and macro-regional content. That way, BBC1 and ITV would be on the same mux, possibly with Ridge Hill style regional variation at some sites. That way the rest of the muxes would need no variation, and could be engineered in part or whole as SFNs.
  • Options
    Roy_ColdrickRoy_Coldrick Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    Yes I accept everything you say but it is quite a deterrent to buying a 4K TV knowing that to do so would result in a poorer display than a current HD ( or even SD ) TV when receiving regional news or indeed any other SD broadcast.

I have always recorded in SD rather than HD just to save on disk space and sadly I have lots of recorded programs in SD which , it sounds , would be virtually unwatchable.
  • Options
    Mark CMark C Posts: 20,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes I accept everything you say but it is quite a deterrent to buying a 4K TV knowing that to do so would result in a poorer display than a current HD ( or even SD ) TV when receiving regional news or indeed any other SD broadcast.

It won't look any poorer than it would on the same size native SD (or HD) screen, it's just that it won't look any better !
  • Options
    Tim_BishopTim_Bishop Posts: 64
    Forum Member
    tedjrr wrote: »
    Possibly the mux planning for DSO/2 would be around the regional service element, rather than by owner. So, BBC MUX1 and D3&4 MUX2 would get reorganised into muxes supporting sub-regional and macro-regional content. That way, BBC1 and ITV would be on the same mux, possibly with Ridge Hill style regional variation at some sites. That way the rest of the muxes would need no variation, and could be engineered in part or whole as SFNs.

Sorry to be that guy, but what you are talking about is BBC B mix.
  • Options
    anthony davidanthony david Posts: 14,507
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mark C wrote: »
    It won't look any poorer than it would on the same size native SD (or HD) screen, it's just that it won't look any better !

It might look poorer if it is a cheap and nasty set with poor scaling.