M*a*s*h

Comments

• spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mash now looks formulaic and sentimental. whereas Cheers on ITV4 still retains its razor sharpness.

TE are showing some good stuff. washington behind closed doors, roots ........
  • Roland MouseRoland Mouse Posts: 9,531
    Forum Member
    It on again tonight (right now)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 867
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It would appear that M*A*S*H will be on 7pm week nights for the foreseeable future but due to the fact that True Entertainment don't seem able to sort out their info to the TV guide folks, as it's the only answer I can think of, it doesn't consistently get listed.

So my suggestion is tune in at 7 pm and check if it's or if you have a suitable settop box record to watch later.

Don't see why True can't get their act together but maybe it's more complex than I think.

Also I am looking forward to seeing Christopher Lee as Sherlock Holmes at the weekend, could be a bit TV movie but I've never seen him play Holmes before.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe it's just me but I'm not noticing the laughter track as much now as I did when I first starting watching this on True Entertainment.

If anyone is intersted we should reach the middle of season two tomorrow and with any luck this will contiune until the end of the year.

So far if my calculations are right we should hint season five by mid December.

Oh and while I remember Christoper Lee was Holmes wasn't all that bad, it was very TV movie but rather fun I felt and well worth watching at least once as after all not too many actors have played both Holmes brothers in their career. In fact I think Sir Christoper is the only one.
  • 3iff3iff Posts: 213
    Forum Member
    Finally remembered to watch this. The laugh track is very jarring and horribly inappropriate (as are all laugh tracks) but I'm just about able to bear it. A pity they like putting giant advert strips at the bottom of the screen advertising the next program.

The announcer is very earnest about what's coming up next too...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Very true about the laugh track, it works better without but I seem to just tune it out now.

I must agree that smaller band across the bottom of the screen or small block to one side would be better but this must be the way True do things. And the anouncers do seem very earnest must be due to this being true entertainment and much of their content is based on factual stories so lets be very serious.

I do like the PG advisory I wonder if they do this for all their programmes as? Only thought other channels should do the same thing so that you the viewer can make informed choice rather than jump up and down and say this isn't suitable when you've been warned. Not saying we should dump the watershed you understand it just seems the sort of thing that could work fairly well if you haven't checked the TV guide and seen the programme isn't a U or PG or whatever
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think MASH jumper the shark tonight (or rather jumped the camp) :)

With Klinger flying over the camp wearing a nightgown and fluffy slippers.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I loved Klinger's escape bid, very Heath Robinson.

If that didn't get him a return trip home either in the stockade or the nut farm nothing else he does will.

I hear that when Dr Finley ends they will replace it with Chicago Hope. If True could get in the listing mags it could build up a fairly reasonable level of viewers because there is a rather good cross section of programmes available.

They could do with a few more comedy shows such as Hogan's Heroes or McHales Navy. As both are based, loosely, in a real world events like MASH they would fit the broad idea of True Entertainment and I don't think either has been on British TV.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If anyone is interested Season three starts tonight with the General Flipped at Dawn the first time we see Harry Morgan in the show. He would return as Col. Potter in season 4 replacing Henry.

Also as of the 6th Nov. Chicago Hope is being repeated 8pm to 9pm in the slot currently used by Dr Finlay. Chicago Hope ran for 6 season (didn't know it was on so long) for a total of 141 episodes.

Hope True broadcast the lot, I think they have been on some of the other True channels before so here's hoping.

It would also be nice if they could put on another comedy show to sit along side M*A*S*H. All this serious drama is nice every so often but they could do with lightening up a little more.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Brilliant news. It is great having MASH back and now Chicago Hope.
    Forum Member
    I'm also managing to tune-out the laughter. It still jars at times but I'm now able to endure it fairly well.

I also hope they manage to show every episode.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well we've got through 48 episodes so far and therefore if they broadcast them all there are about 208 left to go! So that works out at about 21 weeks if they run 10 episodes every week including Christmas.

I never released that the programme ran for such a long time, shows what a big hit it was.

And the writers did manage to get certain episodes broadcast without the laughter track which I think starts season 4 which will be in about two weeks more or less.
    Forum Member
    Great. Well I'm enjoying rewatching the series after a very long time since I last saw any of it.
  • Quizzimodo1000Quizzimodo1000 Posts: 182
    Forum Member
    I always found the laugh track on MASH helpful. It told me what I was meant to find funny

I always found this series over sentimental & with a political message about a subtle as being smacked around the head with an M16
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just in case anyone is interested it would appear that as of tomorrow they are rerunning series one again, darn.

Had hoped for the first four seasons but it looks like True only have the rights for the first 3 at least I will get to see the four episodes I missed the first time round.
  • Gerry MandarinGerry Mandarin Posts: 890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Very strange, I believe H2 are also showing double bills at 7pm weekday evenings, currently on season 1.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well tonight I should be able to see the first two episodes I missed first time around.

I really hope True don't repeat this over and over but get something to replace it or managed to broadcast season 4 onwards
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well tonight I should be able to see the first two episodes I missed first time around.

I really hope True don't repeat this over and over but get something to replace it or managed to broadcast season 4 onwards

It's a shame they are not going on to season 4 but I'm glad they showed up to the episode Henry left. That was a 9/11 style episode before 9/11 happened.

I suspect they'll do what they do with other series. Which is show the first 3 seasons a couple of times, then add season 4 on, repeat the 4 again, then add 5 on, etc etc.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That would be fine so I can dip in and out of the repeats as I feel like it and if they do put on season four yipee.

I read somewhere that no one other than Mclean Stevens (Henry Blake) knew how the episode was going to end as the writers etc. wanted a 'real' reaction from the rest of the cast which is what they got and I think it was one of the best season finals they did as a result.
  • Mr SirsMr Sirs Posts: 4,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mr Sirs wrote: »
    I wonder how many people are in the same boat and missing the good variety this channel offers? Being stuck at 61 on Freeview maybe isn't in the best place too!

Although it's listed on all the EPGs the channel still isn't physically listed in any printed/published tv magazine or guide - meaning at the moment they are potentially missing out on hundreds of thousands/millions of readers, and subsequently a few 10k extra viewers.
    Re the listing of True Entertainment

So far the only newspaper I've been able to find this listed in is the Daily Mail. And none of the listing mags in our newsagent seem to have it but then again it took ages for Movie Mix to appear so I assume the same thing here.

Not sure if it was this thread or another that said MASH was a last minute replacement or addition to True Entertainment. To be fair as this channel seemed to just have the Waltons, etc, I haven't really checked the on screen guide very often but it does seem to have expanded it's content.

I only hope MASH keeps going into season two etc. as it has been an age since this show has been on free to air TV. Season One should finish next Tuesday so here's hoping season two carries on from Wednesday.

Whilst more and more viewers use the EPGs instead of printed tv mags/guides, as said they are still missing out on millions of readers - I would imagine they are pressing the tv guide publishers to list it. I'm wondering if we'll see it listed from January when 5 Later launches.

Interestingly, if you look at some of the mags they could list it just now - e.g. What's On TV lists Movie Mix under Entertainment Channels and not under Movies next to Film 4! True Entertainment could be listed there if Movie Mix moved.

Most, if not all mags list True Movies (currently True Christmas) so I think the issue is space/juggling channels around to get the best visual and practical layout at the moment.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lets hope True Entertainment can sew up a deal and get the extra viewers it needs as I do find this channel more and more useful to fill gaps here and there.

And I've finally seen the first four episodes of season one and I really hope that when they get to the end of season three again we can get season 4 as I mainly remember the shows when BJ was there after Trapper left to make a new life then have his own spin off show set about twenty years after MASH.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Latest update as of Wednesday 08/01/2014 we get series 4 episode 1.

So they have finally got there yippee!

Then again the repeats did come in handy for catching the odd episode I missed and re watching a couple of favourites from the the first three seasons.

It will now be the 27th January before we find out if they will roll on to season five or repeat them again.

Well here's hoping for season four, five and six.
    Forum Member
    Good news...well spotted.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Oh damn I forgot season 4 had started, they are on episode 7 now so we have missed BJ and Colonel Sherman joining the team.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Looks like True Entertainment are going on to season 5 tomorrow (Friday).