Options

First the plastic bag tax...Now the coffee cup tax

Comments

• Options
    An ThropologistAn Thropologist Posts: 39,865
    Forum Member
    sodavlac wrote: »
    Sorry, I'm non-the wiser. Must be having a slow-brain day today.

At the risk of embarrassing myself, the point of the tax was to stop people using as many plastic bags. That person said they were going to do that as they were annoyed at the prospect of paying 5p for every bag they received so job done.

The only humour I'm maybe seeing is if the person thought they were being defiant and getting one over on the government when instead they were being compliant and doing exactly what was wanted of them. Is that it?

Yes that's about the size of it. To be fair I didn't read the thread or post first hand but I am imagining it was one of those indignant, spitting feathers posts. The sort of thing where someone says 'Grrrr I am not paying their blankety blank bag tax, I'll take my own b***dy bag and see how they like that. Take that government.'
  • Options
    PitmanPitman Posts: 28,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes that's about the size of it. To be fair I didn't read the thread or post first hand but I am imagining it was one of those indignant, spitting feathers posts. The sort of thing where someone says 'Grrrr I am not paying their blankety blank bag tax, I'll take my own b***dy bag and see how they like that. Take that government.'

I prefer Karls view https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQuiwp3wnH0 :D
  • Options
    TerraCanisTerraCanis Posts: 14,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I did post something along those lines myself in another forum, but it was intended as a joke.

If nothing else, it demonstrates why I never had a career as a comedian.
  • Options
    PitmanPitman Posts: 28,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TerraCanis wrote: »
    I did post something along those lines myself in another forum, but it was intended as a joke.

If nothing else, it demonstrates why I never had a career as a comedian.

that was funny :D

however on the internet there are quite a lot of unintended self-parodies, so it's hard to tell a comedian from a knob :p
  • Options
    maggie thecatmaggie thecat Posts: 2,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Irony in this. Disposabl cups were created and marketed for two reasons: convenience to the busy consumer on the go and to save water and energy, because dishwashing is one of those wasteful useages (relatively speaking, especially at sanitizing temperatures.) Now the emphasis is on reducing solid waste instead of saving water disposable cups are a bad practice.

There never is a perfect solution.
  • Options
    sodavlacsodavlac Posts: 10,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Thanks for setting me right. :D
    Pitman wrote: »
    yes :D

And you!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Pitman wrote: »
    that was funny :D

however on the internet there are quite a lot of unintended self-parodies, so it's hard to tell a comedian from a knob :p

So much comic potential (and knob gags) there that I hardly know where to start! :D
  • Options
    jmclaughjmclaugh Posts: 64,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder what will be next, the humble crisp bag, the majority of which afaik can't be recycled.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Irony in this. Disposabl cups were created and marketed for two reasons: convenience to the busy consumer on the go and to save water and energy, because dishwashing is one of those wasteful useages (relatively speaking, especially at sanitizing temperatures.) Now the emphasis is on reducing solid waste instead of saving water disposable cups are a bad practice.

There never is a perfect solution.

Until you posted that about water and energy I was wondering if there was some solution on the lines of a deposit on proper cups. So you return your cup to any branch of {insert coffee chain here} and get your deposit back. [/B] However they stopped doing it for pop bottles so presumably there was something amiss.
  • Options
    GrafenwalderGrafenwalder Posts: 8,004
    Forum Member
    jmclaugh wrote: »
    In which case you wonder why people aren't calling for them to be used instead of a 5p tax.
    Tax is more punitive than using biodegradable and sticking the cost on the drink. It's how Government stamps it's authority to keep the little people in place.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Tax is more punitive than using biodegradable and sticking the cost on the drink. It's how Government stamps it's authority to keep the little people in place.

Except no tax is being collected, so presuambly the little people are free to roam.
  • Options
    flowerpowaflowerpowa Posts: 24,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BanglaRoad wrote: »
    It was brilliant!
    The fury of some posters over the 5p charge was extraordinary, the post that made me laugh the most was from a very angry poster who said they were going to avoid paying 5p by taking their own bag!

And I bet he/she voted for Brexit.:(
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,317
    Forum Member
    No I missed that. Feel quite sad now. :( However googling is quite good way of finding old DS threads. It works like a charm if one has a reasonable recall of the thread title or have a few good key words. Revisiting some of the loonier threads is a great way to spend a wet winter Sunday afternoon. :)

Is this the one you had in mind? http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2109380

Thanks for the link. You should also check out the one where someone says they steal shopping trolleys :D
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    Let's see.

A can of beer (500ml) costs £1 to drink at home. A pint of bitter in a pub is usually less than £2-50 around here.

A cup of coffee costs pennies to make at home, even with ground coffee. A cup of coffee in Starbucks, Costa etc. is at least a couple of quid a cup.

And now they are talking about a coffee tax.

Hmm. Beer versus coffee.
  • Options
    GrafenwalderGrafenwalder Posts: 8,004
    Forum Member
    Except no tax is being collected, so presuambly the little people are free to roam.
    Give them time. Anything taxable gets taxed especially if something people might gain pleasure or enjoyment from!
  • Options
    Ted CTed C Posts: 11,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Index we should be outraged at this...because the world ended when the plastic bag charge was introduced...didn't it ?
  • Options
    jmclaughjmclaugh Posts: 64,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Afaik the government doesn't receive the 5p cost of a carrier bag so I doubt it would from any tax introduced on coffee cups. The problem with a tax on coffee cups is it is unlikely to reduce their use for practical reasons. Anyway the fact is it would be better if these coffee cups weren't going to landfill so one wonders how much more is a biodegradeable coffee cup than the ones they currently use.
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 57,168
    Forum Member
    jra wrote: »
    Let's see.

A can of beer (500ml) costs £1 to drink at home. A pint of bitter in a pub is usually less than £2-50 around here.

A cup of coffee costs pennies to make at home, even with ground coffee. A cup of coffee in Starbucks, Costa etc. is at least a couple of quid a cup.

And now they are talking about a coffee tax.

Hmm. Beer versus coffee.

I once saw a breakdown of how much it actually costs to serve you a cup of coffee and it was quite astounding the extra costs in it. I don't know how pubs make a profit on a £3 pint.
  • Options
    SkipTracerSkipTracer Posts: 2,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What would be better is a refundable deposit of 10p that could make a bit of cash for kids picking up all the empty cans and cups found littering up our countryside that the lazy few believe should be picked up by the local council at our expense.
  • Options
    Eater SundaeEater Sundae Posts: 10,000
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SkipTracer wrote: »
    What would be better is a refundable deposit of 10p that could make a bit of cash for kids picking up all the empty cans and cups found littering up our countryside that the lazy few believe should be picked up by the local council at our expense.

That still doesn't address the issue of them not being recyclable
  • Options
    chopsimchopsim Posts: 3,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I bought the travel mug from Costa but you can't fit a large coffee in it. Useless!!
  • Options
    Chris FrostChris Frost Posts: 11,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've thought of a third option for you. Pay the measly 5p. From what you've written it doesn't sound like you buy takeaway coffee regularly, so it's hardly going to break the bank.
    There's no need to get quite so personal, thank you very much.

The money isn't the issue. It's a drop in the ocean compared to the over-inflated price of the rather mediocre coffee served by the big take-away chains. My preference is tea when I'm out and about.

The point I was making is how the levy would work. Plastic carrier bags were seen as 'free', and so like all resources in seemingly abundant supply it's human nature to abuse the situation. Charging for their use changed people's behaviour for the better, and that's a good thing.

However, not all carrier bags need to be charged for: Those used for (and I quote the Government's own guidelines here) "unwrapped food for animal or human consumption - eg chips, or food in containers that aren’t secure enough to prevent leakage during handling" LINK, I would argue that any take-away beverage would fall under the same "leakage during handling" category. So why the discussion about charges when they don't apply to food?
  • Options
    WolfsheadishWolfsheadish Posts: 10,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Where I live they don't charge for cups, but if you use your own travel mug you get a discount. That seems like a better idea to me.
  • Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Human behaviour is not changed quite so simply as a 5p minimum charge.

The flimsy supermarket bags were perfect for a wide range of home uses, so people just buy them on a roll instead and probably use more than they did before.

5p tax on cardboard cups would do nothing whatsoever other than raise money.
  • Options
    TeeGeeTeeGee Posts: 5,772
    Forum Member
    I would like to see a plastic water bottle tax of, say, £1 per bottle. That might actually do sometthing for the environment.