Chickens hitChickens hit Posts: 26,493
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone else watching this?
  • Options
    PaulB1973PaulB1973 Posts: 2,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chris Langham's part in the first series got a considerable mention (I had thought, taking into more recent events, they might dodge some of that).
  • Options
    mal2poolmal2pool Posts: 5,690
    Forum Member
    I cant remember that c++++ny lingus song. Then again i wouldnt have a clue what it meant back then. I was 18 and didnt know a lot! Song was rubbish though, wasnt that funny
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 526
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That was quite an interesting documentary, and as said Chris Langham got a fair mention on it too. Quite an insight into it aswell, as I never knew that they weren't getting on as much by the time the show ended, and the 90 minute Video compilation Rowan did that was never relased.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Oh joy, constable savage now. Class.
  • Options
    juswotmawatchinjuswotmawatchin Posts: 5,252
    Forum Member
    mal2pool wrote: »
    Oh joy, constable savage now. Class.

ahhhh the SPG.

was that not Vivians' rats name in " the young ones" ?:cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Still funnier than many of todays progs. Didnt get into Smith and Jones later but loved this.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This was before my time but I've found this enjoyable. To me it really is the definition of a sketch show. Was every episode so packed out with sketches? If so then I am surprised the ideas didn't dry up quickly because there were so many in that episode and quite allot of strong ones.
  • Options
    juswotmawatchinjuswotmawatchin Posts: 5,252
    Forum Member
    Forgot that the TV closed down at night in them days and with videos in short supply there was nothing on until morning.

How did we survive ?

We slept I suppose.:yawn::)

Just shows 4 channels no overnight TV = lasting quality TV humour.

Today? infinate channels = infinate dross:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yes mostly sketches. All were pretty good. They always had a spoof song at the end. Taking a pop at abba and the new pop video thingy that was starting off at the time. Nice video,shame about the song it was called. Another song was I like trucking.
  • Options
    grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    Pamela was really pretty when she was young :)
    Episode was an assembled Best Of.
  • Options
    mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd forgotten how big the spin off books and Lps (!) were. And yes Pamala was swoonsome.
  • Options
    DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    grimtales1 wrote: »
    Episode was an assembled Best Of.

I thought it must have been, because Kinda Lingers is from the last one, but a lot of the sketches seemed to be from much earlier.

To be honest, it never seems as good now as I remember it being at the time. I think that's maybe because it was so groundbreaking at the time, but since then people have built on what they did. You can certainly see that Have I Got News For You grew from this acorn, for a start.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 97
    Forum Member
    I was thinking while I was watching that HIGNFY owed a lot to this one. I was surprised at how many of the sketches stood up well, to be honest - it's dated a lot better than most topical comedy!

I loved it at the time, and it's made me laugh a good deal tonight. Can't do better than that for me!
  • Options
    SupratadSupratad Posts: 10,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mal2pool wrote: »
    I cant remember that c++++ny lingus song. Then again i wouldnt have a clue what it meant back then. I was 18 and didnt know a lot! Song was rubbish though, wasnt that funny

That's the first time I've seen that since it aired originally. At the time I thought it was just a fairly weak joke about the sentimentality of TV stars, I had no idea at the time what it was really about, so tonight I got the joke for the first time 30 years late.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Supratad wrote: »
    That's the first time I've seen that since it aired originally. At the time I thought it was just a fairly weak joke about the sentimentality of TV stars, I had no idea at the time what it was really about, so tonight I got the joke for the first time 30 years late.

We're far too innocent. Doubt it would get on tv on the major channels these days. Oops..it just did..lol. Well not in a new comedy series.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Was it a joke about misheard lyrics as the subs came up "cunnilingus" :eek:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great documentary but why the hell did they not show an actual episode as originally transmitted?

It was billed as a classic episode but it wasn't. It was somebody else's idea of a selection of "best of" which of course is highly subjective. Just like the DVDs that came out.

I've got series 2-4 on my computer but they're poor quality VHS rips. I want the entire original series released unedited on DVD.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Agreed - it wasnt an actual episode - it was the exact same compliation as on the DVDs, but I'm gutted I didnt record the documentary now as there were quite a few clips that I'd never seen before.
    Who wrote the Two Ninnies sketch?
    Interesting that Mel said while Ronnie B. hated the sketch, Ronnie Corbett loved it. Was this the case or was he joking? Also interesting some of the team said it wasnt right to make fun of the Two Ronnies though I understand why they did it, it was what a sketch would have been like had they ACTUALLY been rude in it :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I hope the actual series comes out on DVD though (Wikipedia claims mid to late 2010) - would be interesting :D
    I never saw it in 1993 on UK Gold - I think the 1995 best ofs were my first exposure to NTNoCN.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dsrichard wrote: »
    It's a little known fact that the I Like Trucking song is actually meant to be I Like F*cking. They reckoned they couldn't get away with the original title so rewrote it slightly.

So whenever they singing "I like trucking and I like to truck" it makes a lot more sense if you know they are actually singing "I like f*cking and I like to f*ck".

That would be the point of the joke I think. The vehicle itself actually says "any chance of a truck?" in the window.

Did you really think the majority of people watching just thought the song was a non-humorous ditty about a man who likes trucks?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well one verse is about "chatting up that piece of skirt sitting by your side" and the girl (Pamela?) using the gear stick as a phallus :eek:
  • Options
    Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    where were the writers ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ruby Wax was on there.
  • Options
    Andy BirkenheadAndy Birkenhead Posts: 13,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mike65 wrote: »
    I'd forgotten how big the spin off books and Lps (!) were. And yes Pamala was swoonsome.

I bought both the Not the Nine O'clock News L.P.'s and the "NOT !" book when they first came out. They were brilliant !
    I've probably still got them somewhere !