Any Rare Dvd's In Your Collection?

scorpionatthepcscorpionatthepc Posts: 5,378
Forum Member
Was looking on ebay the other week at 70's tv series and found that man about the house the movie sells for around the £25 mark. Was tempted to put mine on there to make a nice profit as I bought mine a good 5/6 year ago from play.com for around £6.

Just wondered if other members have any dvd's on their shelves that could be worth a small fortune?

:)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 85
    Forum Member
    I had a film called trick or treat brought for £1.50 at a car boot and it sold for just under £20 on ebay a year later
  • xxstephiebabixxxxstephiebabixx Posts: 606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i have 'jem and the holograms' on dvd .. brought it about 6 years ago for a couple of quid on play.com but now its impossible to find! dunno what its worth will be now tho as no guide lines to go on :confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I got £400 for a Mark Owen live DVD once. It was a signed one and he only sold a few through his website. They accidently sent me two but told me to keep it. It went into a mental bidding war and people were obsessed with getting it. My whole office were addicted to watching it go up in price.

Also, before the re release, The High Life was pretty rare and I found a site in Australia selling them. I bought up 10 and sold them on amazon for £85 each.
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,651
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also, before the re release, The High Life was pretty rare and I found a site in Australia selling them. I bought up 10 and sold them on amazon for £85 each.

I did the same with a job lot from CDWow for a fiver apiece IIRC. My best price for one copy was £99.

Sold loads of rare stuff over the years with my top prices being for a couple of anime sets that went for £400 and £500 each. Recently bought more than a hundred copies of a DVD for 75p each that sells steadily for £50. For obvious reasons I cannot say what it is!*:D
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    I have some of the Disneys that must be pretty rare (certainly theyre long OOP)

Beauty and the Beast SE UK release (2002) with red 'book' packaging
    Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs Platinum Edition R1 (2001) Rare - was very pleased when I got a genuine one
    Sergio Leone 'Dollars' Wooden Box Limited Edition (Fistful of Dollars and For a Few Dollars More) - Very Rare (think only 5000 were made).
  • Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Straker wrote: »
    I did the same with a job lot from CDWow for a fiver apiece IIRC. My best price for one copy was £99.

Sold loads of rare stuff over the years with my top prices being for a couple of anime sets that went for £400 and £500 each. Recently bought more than a hundred copies of a DVD for 75p each that sells steadily for £50. For obvious reasons I cannot say what it is!*:D

well that got me curious so I had a look at ebay and checked the highest priced dvds , there's a Father Ted series one R2 for £450 !

and yet its available new at amazon for £5 .

what gives ?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not sure how rare they are but my copies of The Dark Knight and Iron Man DVD cases are shaped like the title characters head!
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    £537.19 for The Brittas Empire Series 1-7
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    £537.19 for The Brittas Empire Series 1-7

Seriously?? I own that!
  • MotherTeresaMotherTeresa Posts: 590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Heartbreak Kid on DVD can be shifted for £50 easy, but no hurry for the situation's not likely to change for a while.
  • porkpieporkpie Posts: 2,548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    grimtales1 wrote: »

Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs Platinum Edition R1 (2001) Rare - was very pleased when I got a genuine one
    Sergio Leone 'Dollars' Wooden Box Limited Edition (Fistful of Dollars and For a Few Dollars More) - Very Rare (think only 5000 were made).
    Unfortunately the value of Disney dvd's has been wiped out by the release of the Blurays and R1 discs are not worth much anyway, mainly because the bootlegs out there (and there are loads) purport to be the R1 releases

I have many dvd's , mainly from the US that are listed on Amazon for anything between £30 to over £100.

I've been selling off my BFI titles over the last 2-3 years once they hit the £40 mark so its gratifying they are being reissued now.

I sold several deleted Dr Who dvd's for between £20 and £40 each to unsuspecting buyers who didn't know the reason the titles were deleted was because they were due to be reissued.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Had both of these, sold snow white for £63 and Beauty and the beast for £71
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,472
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rarest one i have i think is Tom Savini's home videos,its a 3 dvd set on the making of Day of the Dead.
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    mr_me wrote: »
    Seriously?? I own that!

It is on Amazon.
  • Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dombo wrote: »

there's hundreds of pages of dvds on ebay priced at over £90 , and they're obviously not rare , I don't get it :confused:
    Forum Member
    porkpie wrote: »
    Unfortunately the value of Disney dvd's has been wiped out by the release of the Blurays and R1 discs are not worth much anyway, mainly because the bootlegs out there (and there are loads) purport to be the R1 releases

I have many dvd's , mainly from the US that are listed on Amazon for anything between £30 to over £100.

I've been selling off my BFI titles over the last 2-3 years once they hit the £40 mark so its gratifying they are being reissued now.

I sold several deleted Dr Who dvd's for between £20 and £40 each to unsuspecting buyers who didn't know the reason the titles were deleted was because they were due to be reissued.

Yeah, there were many boots of the Snow White set floating around apparently
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, there were many boots of the Snow White set floating around apparently
    As I found out when trying to sell mine.
    I gave up in the end.
    Play would often remove sellers but they came back again .
    Nobody seemed to find it odd that a seller would have a rare deleted title thats been unavailable for several years new and sealed in multiple numbers for cheap prices.

Snow White was far from being alone.
    Always R1 though .
    I can't recall exactly but I wonder if it was because the US discs never had the hologram on the covers
  • rosco2010rosco2010 Posts: 7,501
    Forum Member
    I have a copy of The Driller Killer, its from 1979 and was deemed a video nasty. I'm not sure how rare it is nowadays.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rosco2010 wrote: »
    I have a copy of The Driller Killer, its from 1979 and was deemed a video nasty. I'm not sure how rare it is nowadays.
    The film is 1979 .
    The dvd isn't.

As it was passed uncut several years ago its not important anymore.
    Its just another dull movie pushed into the spotlight by the morons who instigated the Video Nasty rubbish

Many of the nasties are now uncut in the UK on dvd and at least one film that was banned and then re-released with cuts is now an uncut 15- Contamination.

Still cut are I Spit On your Grave and House On the Edge of the Park although nowhere near as badly as they used to be.

Just as they were over a decade ago both are available uncut from the US and Europe.

New York Ripper is still cut but as that got kicked out of the country without a video release in 1982 its not an official nasty
  • Tangledweb7Tangledweb7 Posts: 3,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Next to no time with Kenneth More.:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i have a 5 disc Titanic set signed by james cameron,
    i have Japanese Kill Bill 1 & 2 Box sets uncut wit hatori hanzo sword, t shirt, bear etc...
    i have evil dead book of the dead as the actual book.
    i have all original releases of Friends that when put together make up the new york skyline.
    Forum Member
    porkpie wrote: »
    As I found out when trying to sell mine.
    I gave up in the end.
    Play would often remove sellers but they came back again .
    Nobody seemed to find it odd that a seller would have a rare deleted title thats been unavailable for several years new and sealed in multiple numbers for cheap prices.

Snow White was far from being alone.
    Always R1 though .
    I can't recall exactly but I wonder if it was because the US discs never had the hologram on the covers

I think the way to tell if Snow White was genuine was to look at the numbers round the ring in the middle. :confused: Mine wasnt new when I bought it on Ebay but seemed in VG condition to me (I got it a few years before the BD came out and when it had been deleted and in the Disney Vault for some time).
  • xxstephiebabixxxxstephiebabixx Posts: 606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i have 'jem and the holograms' on dvd .. brought it about 6 years ago for a couple of quid on play.com but now its impossible to find! dunno what its worth will be now tho as no guide lines to go on :confused:

scrap that! :D did some diggin and found on amazon it sells for around £50
  • sarahj1986sarahj1986 Posts: 11,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've got a deluxe collectors edition of Titanic released afew years back, my friend tells me they are selling for close to £30 I only paid £10 for it but the film has been discontinued, I dare say due to it being at the cinema.