Can Ant+Dec do nothing wrong?

SnowyfaceSnowyface Posts: 1,582
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Just a thought I had, because everything about these guys is overwhelmingly positive! And seeing that Lets Get Ready To Rumble is now no1 on iTunes after the performance on SNT, I just can't believe how loved they are in Britain. Every star has the fans AND the haters, but I have never spoken to someone who doesn't like them! Has there ever been a bad story come out about them or anything like that? Have they ever done bad TV? Any controversy over something they've done/said? (Let's not mention Red or Black, they done the best with what they were given :p)

This isn't a thread to bash them by the way, they are my two favourite people on the TV by far...no one compares :) I was just wondering!

Comments

• musicjukebox123musicjukebox123 Posts: 745
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Their pop career wasn't very big hence the jokes with the Big Reunion bands and the intro of 'one week at #9' and they had a laddish chat show on channel 4 in the 90's which wasn't recieved well.

However as family entertainment presenters they've found their niche and what they're truly best at. They were also good in Biker Grove.
  • GroutyGrouty Posts: 33,944
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do like them, they were great in Byker Grove, but im sick to death of seeing them on the Tv all the time.
  • konebyvaxkonebyvax Posts: 9,120
    Forum Member
    One of the few massive UK successes that don't tend to incur the wrath of the 'build 'em up to knock 'em down' brigade. As TV presenters they are simply on another planet compared to 'rivals'. I also genuinely believe their lasting friendship is entirely real and they actually ARE as nice off camera as they are on camera.

Their rendition of Let's Get Ready To Rumble on Saturday night was fantastic (and I'm speaking as one who never rated their musical output).
    I meet Ant and Dec on several occasions over several months, in production meetings, on film sets and photoshoots, and they are the only famous people I have ever known to be exactly – exactly – the same as their public persona. After a while, I become a bit obsessed with trying to work out what is real. Is their on-screen charm a telegenic invention, which they've trained themselves to keep up off-camera? In the end, there is only one possible conclusion: Ant and Dec owe their success in an industry built on artifice to – of all things – authenticity.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/2013/feb/23/ant-and-dec-interview
  • FatsiaFatsia Posts: 1,187
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't think Red Or Black went down too well - but then again it did get a second series so maybe I've mis-remembered? Have to say I'm ridiculously pleased they're at No.1, thoroughly enjoyed watching them perform LGRTR on Saturday Night Takeaway with the family. Can't believe it was 19 years ago! I think it's their genuine friendship which makes it work so well, they're good to watch even when some of the ideas aren't so great
  • AoibheannRoseAoibheannRose Posts: 1,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure there are plenty of people who don't like them, but must admit that I LOVE them. I've enjoyed all of their shows apart from 'Red or Black' and 'Poker Face', mainly because I'm not a fan of game shows, but my favourite thing they've done by far is still SMTV:Live. Watching back some of the old clips of it now it's amazing to see what they got away with on kids morning telly (with Ant's line 'She's blown Dick through the wall!' possibly being the best example of this!) and just how brilliant that show was. Reading their autobiography that came out a few years ago made me even more of a fan because they just come across as being such genuinely nice guys as well as being very talented. So in short, for me, no they can't do any wrong!
  • konebyvaxkonebyvax Posts: 9,120
    Forum Member
    Such amazing sports on Celebrity Juice as well - that remains my favourite ever episode.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    konebyvax wrote: »
    Such amazing sports on Celebrity Juice as well - that remains my favourite ever episode.

Forgot to mention that! Definitely the best episode of Juice ever, but so strange to see Ant and Dec talking about masturbating, favourite sexual positions (still can't believe that Ant guessed 'reverse cowgirl' correctly, or that Dec admitted it!) and using the words spunky tissues and sh*t. And as for the 'naked chef' woman, I'm still traumatised by that image so I can only imagine what it did to them! Whenever I'm in a really bad mood just re-watching that episode on youtube is still guaranteed to cheer me up. :D
  • mabbus-cattus1mabbus-cattus1 Posts: 5,777
    Forum Member
    In answer to the OPs question!

NO

:D:D:D
  • mabbus-cattus1mabbus-cattus1 Posts: 5,777
    Forum Member
    Forgot to mention that! Definitely the best episode of Juice ever, but so strange to see Ant and Dec talking about masturbating, favourite sexual positions (still can't believe that Ant guessed 'reverse cowgirl' correctly, or that Dec admitted it!) and using the words spunky tissues and sh*t. And as for the 'naked chef' woman, I'm still traumatised by that image so I can only imagine what it did to them! Whenever I'm in a really bad mood just re-watching that episode on youtube is still guaranteed to cheer me up. :D

Sorry for double posting but missed that completely as I don't normally like Celebrity Juice (Keith Lemmon not being a favourite). However would love to see it with Ant & Dec - is that a link for youtube?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry for double posting but missed that completely as I don't normally like Celebrity Juice (Keith Lemmon not being a favourite). However would love to see it with Ant & Dec - is that a link for youtube?

There sure is, enjoy! :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YT5XHYD-8vw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihdMX7fBOAM
  • lexi22lexi22 Posts: 16,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

NO

I agree. :D They're almost unique in showbiz for the length of time they've been around and yet never really hit a stale patch. Even when a show was a bit rubbish (and a few were), it was the show that suffered, not them. It says so much about them. They have the genuine X-factor, something that can't be manufactured (note to Simon Cowell) and that's what makes them so enduring. They're talented, clever, very funny and very grounded and that's always going to generate real affection.
  • Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never met anyone who dislikes Ant and Dec either. They are almost unique in that everyone seems to like them.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 137
    Forum Member
    Love em. They just come accross as two lads enjoying themselves, not taking it all too seriously and just getting on with it.
    LOVE EM (er, did I already say that?!)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    konebyvax wrote: »

Thanks, I only thought there were two parts to it. I must have linked to a different upload of it here.
  • SnowyfaceSnowyface Posts: 1,582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Love em. They just come accross as two lads enjoying themselves, not taking it all too seriously and just getting on with it.
    LOVE EM (er, did I already say that?!)

I feel you, LOVE THEM AS WELL :D If I had my way, they would be on every programme, on every channel, every day :cool:
  • monalisa62003monalisa62003 Posts: 56,845
    Forum Member

NO

This.

I admit i go through phases when im not bothered, i hate im a celeb and red or black. I only watch bgt cos of them and simon. But ive always loved them. So in the mood to read their book as i never finished it properly
  • elnombreelnombre Posts: 3,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So I take it no one here sat through Alien Autopsy then? ;)
  • PaleHorsePaleHorse Posts: 5,681
    Forum Member
    I hate them with a passion. I know it's an unnecessary feeling towards them, but I do.

Half because of them themselves (bland, talentless, unfunny) and half because of just how loved they are. I just don't get it. I don't get what separates them from the other cream of the crap like Rick Edwards or Cat Deeley. Is it because they've been around for quite some time? Is it a lesson in that if you try something for so long, you'll eventually succeed? No matter how bland and crap you are at it? They're radio presenters on telly.
  • Super_FurrySuper_Furry Posts: 774
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't watch their shows, but they both seem likeable enough to me.
    They don't take themselves seriously either, which is always something that endears TV personalities to the public.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really like them and find them very funny.
  • PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    elnombre wrote: »
    So I take it no one here sat through Alien Autopsy then? ;)

I have ... and i thought it was a harmless bit of fun.
  • Goldbear86Goldbear86 Posts: 1,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Love Ant and Dec. They are a great duo and they seem so likeable. I only watch I'm a celeb for them!:o
  • Misty08Misty08 Posts: 1,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don`t think their tribute to The Likely Lads was a huge success.