Options

Present day stuff that would baffle/bemuse people from yesteryear...

Ted CTed C Posts: 11,731
Forum Member
✭✭
I have often wondered how (though in truth it's pretty much impossible) how a person from 100 years or so back suddenly catapulted into the present day would react in reality, as opposed to the time-travel movies and tv shows we often see, with the wide-eyed fascination and wonderment at the future.

I have always believed in truth people would be terrified, and would feel like they are on a different planet. It would be too much for them to take in...they could literally go mad.

But what specific things do people think would bemuse, baffle or surprise such people, rather than the obvious ones?

Two that have always struck me...cashpoint machines that say 'Free withdrawals'. I am sure such people would take this to mean they can get free money, as that is what it appears to say.

The other one is language. Though we still speak English, it's a very different form of English than that of years gone by. For example, if you said you had taken a selfie on your blackberry and posted it on twitter/facebook, it would sound like complete gibberish to that person (Mind you...personally I maintain it is).

Any other examples?

ps - re the changing language issue, look up a superb little short Twilight Zone story called Wordplay, only about 15 mins but a very good illustration of my point above.

Comments

• Options
    Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ipads and computers and the digital age
  • Options
    Nat28Nat28 Posts: 2,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember reading a story where a man was seen in 'old fashioned ' clothes wsndering around looking at everything like it was the first time. Then to get knocked down and killed. It was never discovered who he was . Its a story to take with a pinch of salt but entertaining never the less
  • Options
    Bedlam_maidBedlam_maid Posts: 5,922
    Forum Member
    ipads and computers and the digital age

And ebook readers that can hold a whole library of books. Still bemuses me :p
  • Options
    TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hard drives the size of credit cards that can hold masses of music, books and videos.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,249
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Microwave ovens. To be honest even nowadays when the timer ping goes off I'm like "**** yeah technology FTW!"

Optimus Prime.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deleted
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,279
    Forum Member
    I'll tell you what'd bemuse them:

"I have a device in my pocket with which I can access all the knowledge known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and argue with strangers".
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it has to be technology, it's just moved so fast and I still have to pinch myself sometimes.

I remember our first teletext tv and my dad just standing looking at it, "It's not a telly, it's a bloody computer!" I'd love to know what he's make of smart phones :D
  • Options
    TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Odd Socks wrote: »
    I think it has to be technology, it's just moved so fast and I still have to pinch myself sometimes.

I remember our first teletext tv and my dad just standing looking at it, "It's not a telly, it's a bloody computer!" I'd love to know what he's make of smart phones :D

Ah Teletext. The best way to keep uptodate with football scores and play Bamboozle :D
  • Options
    FizixFizix Posts: 16,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The digital revolution and technology all round; and everything that comes with it would probably inspire pretty much every emotion possible and completely dumbfound them.

Actually, they would probably just get a headache getting their head around how it can even possibly work.

Once they got their heads around it and saw social media (including sites like DS) they would probably sit there wondering why we waste our time doing this when we could be doing so much more useful things.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rowdy wrote: »
    I'll tell you what'd bemuse them:

"I have a device in my pocket with which I can access all the knowledge known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and argue with strangers".

Love it...that actually made me laugh out loud.

It also raises an interesting notion that the type of technology we are now using in everyday life was considered the stuff of science fiction and spy movies...who would have thought that we would not only have access to such technology, but to be using it for such 'important' pursuits like phoning your wife/husband/mum/friend etc to say

'Hi it's me...I'm on the train/bus'.

or

'I'm in Sainsbury's, do you want fish fingers or fried chicken for dinner?'

or that evergreen classic

'Its me, what you doin/where are you/whats up' etc
  • Options
    CentaurionCentaurion Posts: 2,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The concept of unemployed people being given money for doing nothing, I'm baffled by it myself.
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Take somebody from the 1950's - yes they would be baffled at first, but I bet they'd pick things up very quickly. They'd also be fascinated with the progress.

Somebody from the 1850's on the other hand, really would be in shock.
  • Options
    coughthecatcoughthecat Posts: 6,876
    Forum Member
    I'd imagine someone from 100 years ago would keel over in shock when told that a cup of tea in a cafe costs about the same as the average weekly wage in 1914!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fizix wrote: »
    The digital revolution and technology all round; and everything that comes with it would probably inspire pretty much every emotion possible and completely dumbfound them.

Actually, they would probably just get a headache getting their head around how it can even possibly work.

Once they got their heads around it and saw social media (including sites like DS) they would probably sit there wondering why we waste our time doing this when we could be doing so much more useful things.

A very good point in your last sentence. Bearing in mind even people from 50 years ago where everything was very hands-on/manual...if you wanted to eat a meal, you spent hours preparing food...if you wanted to send a message you spent ages writing a letter in pen...probably more and better examples than I can think of right now.

But I take the point that we never would have dreamed that we would be using such technology for such trivial things.
  • Options
    Wee TinkersWee Tinkers Posts: 12,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Vajazzling. Although I like to think they'd all get on board very quickly.

And as previously mentioned, our ability to procrastinate and lose entire days on the internet.

The illegalisation of several recreational drugs.

Women, children and the poo-ah having rights.

They would probably be with me with the language. I'm also bemused by things that are sick or fat. Or is phat? :confused:
  • Options
    ElCantoDelLocoElCantoDelLoco Posts: 6,637
    Forum Member
    As well as technology, everything in terms of traditional women's jobs - ready made bread, ovens (depending how far back you go, but certainly not as automatic and easy as they are today), microwaves, fridges, freezers, convenience foods plus food like jam for sale which you would really have had to make yourself, washing machines, tumble driers, hoovers, central heating (rather than fires which needed lighting/cleaning out), electric kettles - looking after a house used to be a full time job of hard graft, it would be hard to get your head round how that had changed!
  • Options
    Larry_KirstenLarry_Kirsten Posts: 407
    Forum Member
    Someone from 1850 would be totally freaked out when you pointed to that big silver thing in the sky, and explain to them that it has a couple of hundred people on it being taken to a country thousands of miles away in only a few hours.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Bill and Ted did this. The hostorical figues adapted quiet well, apart from getting arrested.
  • Options
    howard hhoward h Posts: 23,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, in 1914 they had radio, film, gramaphones, light aircraft, cars, telephones - so basically everything today is just an enhancement of what they had then.

Is the internet much more than a newspaper on screen that you can add bits to? A smaller version of a library?

A TV set in the room is just another way of watching films?

Think they would understand everything, even if they couldn't grasp how we can send a photo/mail/song to the other side of the world in a milisecond - but not how to use it obviously.

They might fight back with "we used to get across the city in twenty minutes, you sit in a metal box for two hours"!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As well as technology, everything in terms of traditional women's jobs - ready made bread, ovens (depending how far back you go, but certainly not as automatic and easy as they are today), microwaves, fridges, freezers, convenience foods plus food like jam for sale which you would really have had to make yourself, washing machines, tumble driers, hoovers, central heating (rather than fires which needed lighting/cleaning out), electric kettles - looking after a house used to be a full time job of hard graft, it would be hard to get your head round how that had changed!

Absolutely. When I think about how it was to look after a home without all the conveniences we take for granted I feel thoroughly ridiculous at building the thought of putting another load in the washing machine, or emptying the tumble-drier, into such a big deal I have to talk myself into getting off my arse to just do it.
    Someone from 1850 would be totally freaked out when you pointed to that big silver thing in the sky, and explain to them that it has a couple of hundred people on it being taken to a country thousands of miles away in only a few hours.

I'm a little overwhelmed by it myself, truth be told. :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Bill and Ted did this. The hostorical figues adapted quiet well, apart from getting arrested.

:D:D:D
  • Options
    RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Feminism.
    Widespread open atheism.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How to work a laptop. I think they'd figure out how to switch it on but they'd not have a clue what to do once it had loaded/booted to the desktop.

They'd be absolutely gobsmacked by what they would see being displayed if someone switched a TV on for them.

Showing them a DVD/Blu-Ray pre-recorded disc and then showing them the content that was on it.

Showing them what happens when you're online browsing sites.

Letting them see characters appearing on the screen as you type, especially with a wireless keyboard. Also showing them the cursor moving when you move the wireless mouse.

SSDs that can hold tons of photos and other stuff on them.

The latest games consoles.

Digital TV.

Personal audio player.

Personal video player.

Showing them the wealth of videos and music that's online.

Yeah, there'd be a load of stuff to show them that they'd be shocked at.
  • Options
    highking1014highking1014 Posts: 1,189
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Patriotism, people centuries ago would have happily beheaded the people an hour down the road from them.