Options

When was the last time you used a landline phone

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Almost daily. We only have a 2G mobile service here so only a landline can give me internet access.
  • Options
    sodavlacsodavlac Posts: 10,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Today (well it's yesterday now).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,151
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ours is still used most days.

For incoming calls whenever. And for outgoing calls in the evenings and weekends if they are to other landline numbers.

For calls in the daytime we use the inclusive minutes on our mobiles. And calls to other mobiles.

Still prefer using a proper phone for calls when it's not going to cost us by the minute.
  • Options
    xNATILLYxxNATILLYx Posts: 6,509
    Forum Member
    i used it yesterday to answer several calls.
    We can rarely afford top up a mobile so we use our landline when doing most calls. We have the package as well that makes numbers like 0845 free which is a big saving.
    far cheaper than a mobile
  • Options
    bazpabazpa Posts: 163
    Forum Member
    About 4 years since I last had a landline, but I've just had to have a landline fitted again to get Wi-Fi so will probably use it more now
  • Options
    shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    Umm, yesterday.

Calls are cheaper than a mobile.

Er, not if you are on a contract.
  • Options
    shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bazpa wrote: »
    About 4 years since I last had a landline, but I've just had to have a landline fitted again to get Wi-Fi so will probably use it more now

Well this is the problem. I HAVE to have a landline for wifi and my Sky box needs to be connected by it too. What is the alternative?
    It also used to affect your credit score. I used to work somewhere where if someone applied for a loan, points were awarded for job, home owner etc and having a landline was a plus point as well. Not sure about now though.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used it last night, now if you ask when was the last time you made a call on your mobile I might have difficulty telling as its that long ago, My mobile is used for data only even though I have 300 free mins a month Im lucky if I use 2-3 of them,
  • Options
    Hut27Hut27 Posts: 1,673
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Joel's dad wrote: »
    Except for at work.

I can't remember over 12 months ago

Yesterday and I'm waiting for an office to open to 'phone them on my landline . Why wouldn't I ? when I have free 24/7 calls built in with my broadband package. I do have two Mobiles but only used for Texting
  • Options
    Jambo_cJambo_c Posts: 4,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's actually surprised me how many people still use landlines, I thought it was just the norm to use mobiles these days. I've got around 80 contacts on my phone who are actual people (not taxis, restaurants etc) and there's only four of them that I have a landline number for and even for them if I need to call them I'll call their mobile number first.
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    daziechain wrote: »
    This afternoon. I never use my mobile .. haven't bothered getting credit on it this year.

Glad it's not just me.

Missus insisted I top up my phone last xmas (in case we needed to get in touch during the "party season") and, upon sticking my sim in a new phone a couple of days ago, I'm told that I have £4.88 of credit remaining. :D

I do also have a work mobile, exclusively for business calls, but I also get moaned at by colleagues cos my bill is usually less than half of anybody elses... and that includes the fact that most of my business calls are to and from China.
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    every day.

a mobile may be ok for single people, but a family needs a land line phone.

a lot lot cheaper for an unlimited calls package, than separate mobile packages for each family member.

as others have noted 0845 and 0870 numbers being included makes a big difference. I hate calling 0844 and 0871 numbers in principle. Businesses ought to provide a non-charging number.
  • Options
    SaigoSaigo Posts: 7,893
    Forum Member
    Jambo_c wrote: »
    It's actually surprised me how many people still use landlines, I thought it was just the norm to use mobiles these days. I've got around 80 contacts on my phone who are actual people (not taxis, restaurants etc) and there's only four of them that I have a landline number for and even for them if I need to call them I'll call their mobile number first.

Mobiles are for being mobile, the clue is in the name.

Landlines are for people to call to and from the house and negates the need to constantly carry a phone with you in your own home. They are also good for families to call families for a chat, without targeting a specific person.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saigo wrote: »
    Mobiles are for being mobile, the clue is in the name.

Landlines are for people to call to and from the house and negates the need to constantly carry a phone with you in your own home. They are also good for families to call families for a chat, without targeting a specific person.

I'd imagine most people have a cordless phone in the house though which makes it no different to a mobile for me. When I'm at home my mobile is usually in my pocket or on the arm of the settee so it's hardly a chore to "carry" around. Surely the mobile is less of a chore than the landline as it's just in your pocket so when it rings you just answer it rather than rushing from the kitchen/upstairs/bathroom to the room where the phone is to answer it? :confused:

Also, can a mobile not be passed to someone else in the house? :confused: You make it sound like the mobile won't work in someone elses hands, I've been speaking to mates and they've put someone else on.

I'm not knocking people who use landline phones but don't see the point myself and most people I know in real life don't. I was going to say I wonder if it's a generation thing but I've mates aged from 23-63.
  • Options
    jmclaughjmclaugh Posts: 63,999
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is of course a matter of choice but if you have a landline for interent access it makes sense to have a phone attached to it. When I'm at home I rarely use my mobile to make calls.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't no why you want to know, but it was 4 minutes ago, then every day
  • Options
    UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not knocking people who use landline phones but don't see the point myself and most people I know in real life don't. I was going to say I wonder if it's a generation thing but I've mates aged from 23-63.
    More of a cost thing I'd've thought. At least when my friends and family phone me they're not stung by mobile to mobile network charges.
  • Options
    Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member
    Yesterday evening, if I'm at home then my mobile tends to be in my bag in another room, or quite often switched off in the evening/weekend if I'm round the house, like others on here have free calls as part of my internet package, so why not use it?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    UKMikey wrote: »
    More of a cost thing I'd've thought. At least when my friends and family phone me they're not stung by mobile to mobile network charges.

I'm not even sure they really exist anymore, I know with O2 and Orange/EE, even on pay and go most calls, be it mobile to mobile or mobile to landline cost the same and gone are the days where phoning cross network cost more. If you're on a contract there's certainly no worries, most contracts minutes include any mobiles or landlines. I'd guess most major networks were the same.

As I say though, each to their own, I just sometimes wonder if peoples reasonings (such as costing more to phone mobile to mobile and not being able to phone 0845 numbers) are a bit outdated.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Not around here with only a 2G service. Mobile internet isn't a possibility.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    woodbush wrote: »
    Not around here with only a 2G service. Mobile internet isn't a possibility.

I meant for calls, I have a landline for broadband and my Sky box but that's it.
  • Options
    CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Today when some ppi nonsense rang me.

I prefer to use my landline phone to call people then my mobile. I find Mobiles heat up and make my ear sweat too much.
  • Options
    jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,330
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yesterday. A lot of people around here still have them.
  • Options
    tom558tom558 Posts: 547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just yesterday,much as I like my mobile,the land line is more reliable when at home as a 'RF' radio frequency contact can drop out any time, particularly indoors.
  • Options
    lordOfTimelordOfTime Posts: 22,371
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A couple of hours ago when I took a call about a job. It was a cordless one though :p but linked to the home number.