Options

It's the 20th anniversary of Confide in Me!

FanntastikFanntastik Posts: 12,310
Forum Member
✭✭
It's been 20 years since Kylie's Confide in Me was released! Where has all that time gone? :o:D IMO this is Kylie at her peak, commercially the Deconstruction era didn't exactly set the charts on fire (except this song) but the artistic growth Kylie showed was fantastic. I adore this song and video, one of the highlights of Kylie's career. Thoughts on Confide in Me?

Comments

• Options
    glyn9799glyn9799 Posts: 7,391
    Forum Member
    One of the best. I never tire of listening to it. The 'Big Brother' mix is just all kinds epic awesomeness! Quite timeless too I think, it certainly doesn't sound 20 year old. She really needs another Confide :D

Really hoping she performs it on her KMO tour.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 325
    Forum Member
    First single I had on cassette
  • Options
    SpaceToiletsSpaceToilets Posts: 3,343
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The best single Kylie ever released.

I still remember the first time the video was shown on MTV (back when it was still relevant and still MTV Europe) and both me and my older sister being stunned and surprised by how good the track and video was. Even at 8 years old and nothing of a Kylie fan (and still not to this day though she has knocked out a good tune or two in her time) I knew this was a great tune.
  • Options
    0...00...0 Posts: 21,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd written off Kylie as a cheesy PWL puppet at the time and this song utterly blew me away. Its utterly gorgeous and the best thing she ever did.
  • Options
    uniqueunique Posts: 12,457
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i was surprised by the track when i first heard it as it was so different to what she did before. deconstruction was a popular commercial dance label that put out some fantastic tracks and kylie was just starting to become accepted by more people as she shook off her cheesy pop image, so the news of her joining deconstruction and leaving PWL who were considered the evil side of pop music by many, was quite exciting for some

the end result was some really great music, some of which was produced by deconstructions popular acts. i really don't know why it didn't do better

it also started an interesting period where she duetted with nick cave and did a track written by the manic street preachers

impossible princess was also great. it's hard to believe she was dropped from the label, which is usually a sign of failure, yet went on to even bigger commercial success with her next album light years which had some fantastic tracks

coming from someone who did such an awful track, i should be so lucky, and some of the awful stuff on her early PWL albums it's surprising she ended up following that path

confide in me was the first kylie record i could buy without embarrassment due to it being on deconstruction. before then i would get slagged for buying her stuff
  • Options
    HitstasticHitstastic Posts: 8,639
    Forum Member
    Confide In Me was a fantastic track. Unbelievable to think that its first week sales couldn't match Wet Wet Wet who were spending their 15th week at #1 that week.

On a separate note, I still adore the follow up single Put Yourself In My Place. Such a shame this didn't become a big hit for Kylie.
  • Options
    MaksonMakson Posts: 30,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not as good as Word Is Out but I'd place it #2 behind it
  • Options
    bbclassicsbbclassics Posts: 7,806
    Forum Member
    I'm not really into Kylie but I'll be damned if 'Confide in Me' isn't a good pop song
    :)
  • Options
    glyn9799glyn9799 Posts: 7,391
    Forum Member
    Makson wrote: »
    Not as good as Word Is Out but I'd place it #2 behind it

:D You must be one of the rare few who not only like Word is Out but actually consider it among her best! I didn't realise such people existed haha. In fairness, I don't think WIO is as bad as people make out.
  • Options
    aquasplash3aquasplash3 Posts: 764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's one of those songs that I should like, but always left me a bit cold for some reason.

Anyone else think it bears a resemblance to 'Frozen' by Madonna? I'm aware that 'Confide In Me' came out a few years before.
  • Options
    gelbma0991gelbma0991 Posts: 4,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was looking through a book released with Confide With Me the other day, I think it was only certain people who got it though as it was a limited run (I can't remember how my boss came to get a hold of it back then), but the photos shot by Ellen Von Unworth were soooo good.

Confide In Me and Love Takes Over Me are my two favourite Kylie tracks. Happy Bday CIM! :D<3
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,292
    Forum Member
    Still her best song.