Anytime TV using HD box without HD package

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
Forum Member
I have recently had sky plus installed. I was given a HD box even though I don't subscribe to the HD package.
When I go into the anytime TV feature all the movies listed in there are HD movies - which I can't watch on anytime as I don't have the HD package.
There's some confusion as to whether I should get the normal non HD channels on anytime tv or not - depends who I speak to at Sky.
The last person I spoke to said this is normal because it's an HD box and if I want to watch them i need to pay the extra £10 for the hd package.
I never asked for a HD box - i would have been quite happy with a sky plus box but apparently they only instal the hd boxes now. Seems that new customers are loosing the anytime tv function through no fault of their own.
Can anyone please advise as i'm totally confused now.
Jim

Comments

• Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,330
    Forum Member
    With an HD box you get the HD Anytime - it's related to the hardware, not your subscription package - if you don't like it, then just turn it off.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    It's not that I don't like it - I think it's a great idea but I can't use it.
    I didn't ask for an HD box but thats what was installed - if i'd had a normal sky + box installed then i'd have been able to watch the anytime tv - don't think there's an advantage there somehoiw
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 43
    Forum Member
    What's the bet that the new 'Video on demand' is HD only ;)

SKY are just desperate for everybody to get HD.
    I see no reason to buy a new TV, when mine works fine, just to suit them!
  • Daveoc64Daveoc64 Posts: 15,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What's the bet that the new 'Video on demand' is HD only ;)

Such a bet is stupid, as Sky confirmed that years ago.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11
    Forum Member
    One of Sky's aims of Anytime TV is to entice you with programming you may not be able to view as your subscription won't allow it. It is another vehicle for them to get you to upgrade.
    Forum Member
    Not fair really - i'm trying to argue with thewm at the moment that new sky + customers aren't getting the same service as existing sky + customers but they're not having it. They're saying that you don't pay for anytime tv so tuff luck!!!
    Forum Member
    Daveoc64 wrote: »
    Such a bet is stupid, as Sky confirmed that years ago.

Did they?, I would have thought SD was more likely due to the smaller bandwidth requirements.
  • Daveoc64Daveoc64 Posts: 15,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did they?, I would have thought SD was more likely due to the smaller bandwidth requirements.

I believe he/she was referring to it only being available on HD boxes.

I'd expect the content to stream in SD (or a similar resolution).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12
    Forum Member
    Hi,

I am in a similair situation to you my Sky+ box was replaced with a HD box due to unrelibility.

I have been trying to sort out the confusion over this for many weeks. I have had 3 different answers to Anytime with HD box + sd subscription.

Some say it should work and have tried to make it so but to no avail. Others say it will only work on the very latest HD boxes which I assume you have.

I hope to get a definitive answer shortly.
    Forum Member
    Yeah I have the latest box the 250 GB one - reading through the previous threads it sems that if you have a hd box then the anytime tv channels will mostly be hd - although like you i'm stioll confused as some people at sky say i should get the sd channels on anytime???????????????????????????
    Forum Member
    jimbarr_uk wrote: »
    Yeah I have the latest box the 250 GB one - reading through the previous threads it sems that if you have a hd box then the anytime tv channels will mostly be hd - although like you i'm stioll confused as some people at sky say i should get the sd channels on anytime???????????????????????????

People at Sky don't have a clue what they are telling you, as far as I'm aware there are two Anytime streams, one for Sky+, and one for HD, controlled by which BOX you have, not which subscription.