Pointless Views - Spring 2010 series

DVDfeverDVDfever Posts: 18,535
Forum Member
✭✭
Anyone else watch this?

The only interesting thing was the old guy who said modern science programmes were all show and less science, and that the BBC have dumbed down.

JV was given a clipboard to read some comments from, rather than print them up onscreen. And then there was a clip of Sophie Dahl and her breasts, dangerously close to a spoonful of whipped cream. :eek:

Available on the Iplayer until a week after the series ends in June:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00s05k2/Points_of_View_2009_2010_Episode_11

Comments

• Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A fierce defence written by a "suit" and read by Vine of "Over the Rainbow."
    Didn't mention the question of the financial implications once. Which was the point many people raised.
    But what could you expect?
  • DVDfeverDVDfever Posts: 18,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yep, they just glanced at it and then JV said, "Politics aside..." and went on to comments about the programme itself.
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    More of the same. They haven't changed.

The reply to the conflict of interest question was the same one they used last series when someone complained about “Saatchi’s Best of British.” having a similar search for talent show.

One day they'll actually change something someone has complained about.
  • carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,699
    Forum Member
    Didn't mention the question of the financial implications once.
    Well seeing as there aren't actually any "financial implications" (whatever they mean by that :confused:) I should hope they didn't spend any time on it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well seeing as there aren't actually any "financial implications" (whatever they mean by that :confused:) I should hope they didn't spend any time on it.

Of course there's "financial implications"
    The BBC are subsidising ALW's advertising and promotional budget.
    Just because the 11 week series attracts a lot of viewers, is no reason to do it free. He should make a financial contribution to the production costs, he's a multi-millionaire.

Likewise the BBC should never have paid Camelot for the "privilege" of showing the winning lottery numbers.

The BBC, "Daft with money" (ours!)
  • DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wish someone had answered the complaint of Amy Heath that shows like Over the Rainbow are treating theatre as a hobby, and rewarding amateurs rather than those who've put in the work. Many of the contestants in these shows are theatre professionals who have put in the work.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wish someone had answered the complaint of Amy Heath that shows like Over the Rainbow are treating theatre as a hobby, and rewarding amateurs rather than those who've put in the work. Many of the contestants in these shows are theatre professionals who have put in the work.

This may be true, but; "wouldn't it be wonderful if a totally unknown with no experience at all, had a "good chance" of getting the part?"
    Such an event would really help the ratings, wouldn't it?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    how many people who can sing to a west-end musical standard, and look the part, are not actually already professionals, do you think? That's right, almost none. These BBC musical compos are for people who actually can sing, not people who the panel pretend can sing so their "story" carries them on a wave of hype (hello, Susan Boyle).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    john_locke wrote: »
    how many people who can sing to a west-end musical standard, and look the part, are not actually already professionals, do you think? That's right, almost none. These BBC musical compos are for people who actually can sing, not people who the panel pretend can sing so their "story" carries them on a wave of hype (hello, Susan Boyle).

All I can say, is there are always one or two "no hopers" every time this "show" is repeated each year.
    The one that went tonight was flat on a couple of the high notes.
    Also I couldn't understand them wearing those vintage teen-age dresses if some like her, approached a song like "Ethel Merman."
    Seemed ridiculous to me.
  • Agent FAgent F Posts: 40,288
    Forum Member
    This show has the stupidest theme tune ever.

"Blah blah blah!"

Which is basically what they think of the emails they get in. :D
  • DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This may be true, but; "wouldn't it be wonderful if a totally unknown with no experience at all, had a "good chance" of getting the part?"
    Such an event would really help the ratings, wouldn't it?

Would it? I don't think the public care much. I think they'll be more interested in the talent, likeability and looks of contestants rather than whether they have experience or not.
  • naddieuknaddieuk Posts: 1,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It would be more interesting if they used the other Jeremy. Jeremy Paxman.

I can imagine the following taking place.
    ---

JP: Do you accept that background music on people's TVs makes speech difficult to understand?

BBC: The background music enhances the programme.

JP: But you have not answered the question. Do you accept that background music on people's TVs makes speech difficult to understand?

BBC: It sounds perfect in our £5000 sound studio.

JP: I can see that you have again failed to answer the question. Do you accept that background music on people's TVs makes speech difficult to understand?

BBC: From our laboratory headphones which have been tuned by a postgraduate in sound engineering we can hear perfectly.

JP: You have again avoided answering the question. Do you accept that background music on people's TVs makes speech difficult to understand?

BBC: Everyone we asked loves background music.

JP: It's a simple yes or no answer. Do you accept that background music on people's TVs makes speech difficult to understand?

BBC: I have no problems on my television (which was sorted out by a sound engineer).

I based it on "Did you threaten to overrule him?"
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's just the arrogance of the BBC.
    A "suit's" on-programme response (not an engineer) was several years ago. "The problem is mainly because some people are watching on duff equipment or have defective hearing."
    The resident POV clown didn't ask him if that was the case, why are these problems selective, as most of the complaints are only about individul programmes?

Programme makers have always been a rule to themselves as the problem occurs time and time again, but only with particular programmes.

Many years ago a host on the BBC's POV board told us a video had been made six months previously and sent to all programme makers advising them on background music levels.
    But still the problem continued.

I suggested that they'd probabably added background music to the video which had drowned out the advice.

They did make one nature documentary where the music could be removed by the use of the "red button." Then gleefully came back to tell us only 1% of the viewers had used that facility. "So nearly everyone wanted it."

This was a nonsensce as if they'd made the choice that you had to use the red button to include the music, the actual percentage of who wanted the music, would probabably been the same.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    naddieuk wrote: »
    It would be more interesting if they used the other Jeremy. Jeremy Paxman.

I can imagine the following taking place.
    ---

JP: Do you accept that background music on people's TVs makes speech difficult to understand?

BBC: The background music enhances the programme.

JP: But you have not answered the question. Do you accept that background music on people's TVs makes speech difficult to understand?

BBC: It sounds perfect in our £5000 sound studio.

JP: I can see that you have again failed to answer the question. Do you accept that background music on people's TVs makes speech difficult to understand?

BBC: From our laboratory headphones which have been tuned by a postgraduate in sound engineering we can hear perfectly.

JP: You have again avoided answering the question. Do you accept that background music on people's TVs makes speech difficult to understand?

BBC: Everyone we asked loves background music.

JP: It's a simple yes or no answer. Do you accept that background music on people's TVs makes speech difficult to understand?

BBC: I have no problems on my television (which was sorted out by a sound engineer).

I based it on "Did you threaten to overrule him?"

PMSL! This is it, too :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uwlsd8RAoqI

It gets into the meat of it from 1:40 onwards.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They did make one nature documentary where the music could be removed by the use of the "red button." Then gleefully came back to tell us only 1% of the viewers had used that facility. "So nearly everyone wanted it."

This was a nonsensce as if they'd made the choice that you had to use the red button to include the music, the actual percentage of who wanted the music, would probabably been the same.

Spot-on. Further proof that the BBC just lie to suit their own agenda. Makes them no better than politicians.
  • JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Am I getting paranoid about intrusive background music, or has it recently been added to their "where were you when it happened?" ad about receiving the news on your mobile? I don't recall it being there before.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JeffG1 wrote: »
    Am I getting paranoid about intrusive background music, or has it recently been added to their "where were you when it happened?" ad about receiving the news on your mobile? I don't recall it being there before.

I've always considered that apart from when it's too loud, if you start noticing the background music it's because the action on the screen is not holding your attention.

This effect is entirely the opposite one to the reason why the programme makers added the music in the first place.
  • silentNatesilentNate Posts: 84,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    American shows are worse at the background noise/dialogue problem (hello Gossip Girls) but I remember it being an awful distraction on one particular Dr Who episode :mad: :(
  • oulandyoulandy Posts: 18,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some months ago I was watching a video of the day's highlights of the tennis on the BBC web site. It showed bits of the main match which is what I wanted to see and that was all fine and dandy.

Then it went on to read out the results and scores from the other matches played that day. At this point, all of a sudden, you were assailed by mindless drumming which was so distracting and so irritating that I cut the whole thing off and brought my listening to a premature end. I simply couldn't endure it.

Who in their right mind would think anybody interested in the tennis would want some manic drumming in their ear in order to listen to the results? I don't believe that there is a single tennis follower out there looking for or wanting this.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,373
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Appopriate that this thread is called "Pointless Views"

Drumming over tennis results?!? Makes me wanna go out a buy a gun.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,373
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oulandy wrote: »
    Some months ago I was watching a video of the day's highlights of the tennis on the BBC web site. It showed bits of the main match which is what I wanted to see and that was all fine and dandy.

Then it went on to read out the results and scores from the other matches played that day. At this point, all of a sudden, you were assailed by mindless drumming which was so distracting and so irritating that I cut the whole thing off and brought my listening to a premature end. I simply couldn't endure it.

Who in their right mind would think anybody interested in the tennis would want some manic drumming in their ear in order to listen to the results? I don't believe that there is a single tennis follower out there looking for or wanting this.

Must have been a big shock to the system. Hope you are over it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oulandy wrote: »

Well for any golfers amongst us, just wait until Thursday through to Sunday.
    During the Masters coverage, when they show clips of earlier play, or last year's action it'll have musical accompaniment.

Even the naffin' leader board when it is shown, will be accompanied by background music.

As any golfer would tell you and they are mostly those who will be watching, such distractions are really irritating. We're used to an environment where there's no unnecessary distractions.
    Mobile phones are banned in most golf clubs (you might be able to use one in the car park) and if yours happens to even just ring on the course before being turned off, you might still get "a letter."
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

And that is why you posted the above. I take it that's what you meant about Pointless Views.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well for any golfers amongst us, just wait until Thursday through to Sunday.
    During the Masters coverage, when they show clips of earlier play, or last year's action it'll have musical accompaniment.

Even the naffin' leader board when it is shown, will be accompanied by background music.

As any golfer would tell you and they are mostly those who will be watching, such distractions are really irritating. We're used to an environment where there's no unnecessary distractions.
    Mobile phones are banned in most golf clubs (you might be able to use one in the car park) and if yours happens to even just ring on the course before being turned off, you might still get "a letter."

They now do the same with tennis and snooker clips of the day's play or of historic matches...I expect others could add to the list.

It's as if they cannot believe that anyone could be interested in the sport itself without extraneous sensations and diversions. The people who are watching ARE interested in the sport and find it absorbing all by itself.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I did it because I knew you'd be posting ;)

(Just saw oulandy got there first on that one, hehe)