Options

Sarah Jessica Parker - someone please explain to me...

Comments

• Options
    Unigal07Unigal07 Posts: 22,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well excuse me for having an opinion that's not the same as yours.

You're excused. I was merely saying you're wrong about calling it a "patronising little show". Because it's neither, whether you think so or not.
  • Options
    The PrumeisterThe Prumeister Posts: 22,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unigal07 wrote: »
    You're excused. I was merely saying you're wrong about calling it a "patronising little show". Because it's neither, whether you think so or not.

No, I am not wrong - I am merely expressing a different opinion to you. You seem unable to grasp this fact. Opinions are never wrong - expressing them as fact, is.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,654
    Forum Member
    Straker wrote: »
    All I would say is that when her and Andie MacDowell are in the same place at the same time there’s always a big bale of hay and a large sack of oats nearby......

.......and a pile of manure - it sums up their acting 'skills' perfectly!!!!
  • Options
    Unigal07Unigal07 Posts: 22,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, I am not wrong - I am merely expressing a different opinion to you. You seem unable to grasp this fact. Opinions are never wrong - expressing them as fact, is.

Shock, horror! A patronising FM doesn't like "patronising" SATC.

SATC is not a little show. That is fact. Not opinion.
  • Options
    The PrumeisterThe Prumeister Posts: 22,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

*clicks ignore*
  • Options
    LittleChickenLittleChicken Posts: 5,916
    Forum Member

Agreed. :)

Its worldwide success as a series and two movies attest to that.
  • Options
    fitnessqueenfitnessqueen Posts: 5,185
    Forum Member
    I just thought I would post this link for all you SJP lovers and thank my lucky stars that I am not famous and don't get papped pulling odd faces....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1269663/Face-Sarah-Jessica-Parker-youve-just-lost-weight.html

(I actually thought it was Iggy Pop at first :eek:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    C'mon. Over 90% of us on this forum are guilty of criticising celebs' looks - it's human nature and it's especially prevalent on a showbiz discussion board where celebs are so open to scrutiny. Just because people may not agree with SJP being plain per se, doesn't mean that people who have these views are any less worthy than those who do.

& men increasingly ARE subject to critiques of their looks - it's not just women who are scrutinised any more.

True, but criticising SJP's looks is a bit pointless and disagreeable. I think it's absolutely fine to say that you have a 'blind spot' where a famous beauty is concerned - I have always thought that Jessica Simpson is unattractive, and am happy to say so because EVERYONE thinks she is stunning; but SJP is an actress, not a model, and is not morally obliged to look Barbie-doll perfect, any more than, say, Simon Callow is. It's a bit like saying, "That Mo Mowlam: goblin or what?"

I think we can all agree that SJP is no classic beauty, but since she has never pretended to be one, could she perhaps be judged on her work?
  • Options
    RomusRomus Posts: 4,568
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just thought I would post this link for all you SJP lovers and thank my lucky stars that I am not famous and don't get papped pulling odd faces....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1269663/Face-Sarah-Jessica-Parker-youve-just-lost-weight.html

SJP is plain, horsefaced and relatively talentless. She managed a job as "executive producer" on this series. What particular part of her acting "CV" handed her that hat as well as the slot as the alleged "star" character on the show? I believe her character was not the most popular with viewers.

SJP is now terrified because she's 46. She eat's relatively nothing and looks like a spindly little twig with a huge head stuck on top. :eek:

She's another skinny middle aged woman who insists on parading her scrawny middle aged knees, elbows and cleavage in front of members of the public for whom I have the greatest sympathy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SJP's main flaw is her big nose. She would look pretty if she got it fixed, imo. Any other actress would have already gone under the knife. So, I sort of admire her for not undergoing plastic surgery in order to make her appearance pleasant to all the shallow people who judge her by her looks alone. She's obviously had a successful career, and if she's fine with her looks, good for her for not giving into societal pressure that a woman look "perfect."

I find it very disturbing that so many women are attacking her for her appearance. Men reduce women to being valued based on their looks alone, and I find it disheartening that women do this as well. You never see men being attacked for looking less than perfect. For instance, I think Gerard Butler looks like an ugly caveman, but he plays the romantic lead in movies and women lust after him. You would never see a thread on this forum attacking him for his appearance and demanding he stop acting in movies because he is too ugly. It really shows what a sexist, shallow society we are.

Parker has already had at least one go at her large nose - she gave into the "social pressure" to alter her appearance a long time ago. The before and after pictures were instructive - before: plain horsefaced with long black hair and very, very large nose. After: plain horsefaced with black hair and blonde highlights and very large nose.

I'd give up if I were her. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SJP's main flaw is her big nose. She would look pretty if she got it fixed, imo. Any other actress would have already gone under the knife. So, I sort of admire her for not undergoing plastic surgery in order to make her appearance pleasant to all the shallow people who judge her by her looks alone. She's obviously had a successful career, and if she's fine with her looks, good for her for not giving into societal pressure that a woman look "perfect."

I find it very disturbing that so many women are attacking her for her appearance. Men reduce women to being valued based on their looks alone, and I find it disheartening that women do this as well. You never see men being attacked for looking less than perfect. For instance, I think Gerard Butler looks like an ugly caveman, but he plays the romantic lead in movies and women lust after him. You would never see a thread on this forum attacking him for his appearance and demanding he stop acting in movies because he is too ugly. It really shows what a sexist, shallow society we are.

She has attempted to get her nose fixed and has had at least one nose job. :rolleyes:

The last time I looked, Butler was quite tasty and needs no modifications.:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    True, but criticising SJP's looks is a bit pointless and disagreeable. I think it's absolutely fine to say that you have a 'blind spot' where a famous beauty is concerned - I have always thought that Jessica Simpson is unattractive, and am happy to say so because EVERYONE thinks she is stunning; but SJP is an actress, not a model, and is not morally obliged to look Barbie-doll perfect, any more than, say, Simon Callow is. It's a bit like saying, "That Mo Mowlam: goblin or what?"

I think we can all agree that SJP is no classic beauty, but since she has never pretended to be one, could she perhaps be judged on her work?

Jessica Simpson has also had her rather wide nose modified. So personally as far as I'm concerned, I'll judge her on her natural, original looks: not stunning, merely somewhat attractive.
  • Options
    missfrankiecatmissfrankiecat Posts: 8,388
    Forum Member
    Romus wrote: »
    SJP is plain, horsefaced and relatively talentless. She managed a job as "executive producer" on this series. What particular part of her acting "CV" handed her that hat as well as the slot as the alleged "star" character on the show? I believe her character was not the most popular with viewers.

SJP is now terrified because she's 46. She eat's relatively nothing and looks like a spindly little twig with a huge head stuck on top. :eek:

She's another skinny middle aged woman who insists on parading her scrawny middle aged knees, elbows and cleavage in front of members of the public for whom I have the greatest sympathy.

I have never seen her 'parade her cleavage' in front of members of the public. In fact, unusually given the content of the show, she has always had a no nudity clause in her SATC contract. When this member of the public has seen her, she has been modestly attired. On the two occasions I have been at functions she has attended, she has eaten normally, if not heartily. I assume, however, from the assertiveness of your post, you speak from a more detailed personal knowledge.
  • Options
    phasersphasers Posts: 2,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She looks dreadful, and why does she always have massive roots showing?
    her look is too... harsh. That's her main problem I think. She's also too skinny so she looks like the crypt keeper.

I saw one rather nice photo of her once though, I'll try to dig it out
    http://sarahjessicaparkerlookslikeahorse.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/101.jpg

Pardon the link and ignore the horse, I do honestly think that's a good photo of her!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She hasn't aged too well, I will admit that, although I think this is made worse as it's coupled with how thin she has become, but as has been said already - SJP is not made out to be a great beauty, she does not claim to be one nor is her character in SATC made out to be one. For the record though, there are times in SATC where she looks gorgeous IMO. She is not conventionally pretty, but she is definitely pretty in a much more interesting way than, say, Kristen Davis (who is clearly very pretty, but not interestingly so IMO).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    She hasn't aged too well, I will admit that, although I think this is made worse as it's coupled with how thin she has become, but as has been said already - SJP is not made out to be a great beauty, she does not claim to be one nor is her character in SATC made out to be one. For the record though, there are times in SATC where she looks gorgeous IMO. She is not conventionally pretty, but she is definitely pretty in a much more interesting way than, say, Kristen Davis (who is clearly very pretty, but not interestingly so IMO).

Hear, hear. :)

I think Kristen Davis is beautiful, but it's a very bland kind of beauty. SJP can be beautiful with the right clothes, make up and lighting, but she can also look extremely plain.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 171
    Forum Member
    I think she is more a womans woman than a mans object of desire i.e. Cheryl Cole.

She hasn't got perfect looks but works her kookiness to her benefit.

In Sex and the City, although her wardrobe costs a fortune it looks like the kind of stuff normal people can afford. She seems more atainable than some other characters such as Charlotte, who I would say is more classically good looking but doesn't have Carrie/SJP's sparkle!

I think having such a strong and flawed character on SATC translates to how people see Sarah Jessica Parker. Rightly or wrongly.

I think she's brilliant.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think she is more a womans woman than a mans object of desire i.e. Cheryl Cole.

She hasn't got perfect looks but works her kookiness to her benefit.

In Sex and the City, although her wardrobe costs a fortune it looks like the kind of stuff normal people can afford. She seems more atainable than some other characters such as Charlotte, who I would say is more classically good looking but doesn't have SJP's sparkle!

I think having such a strong and flawed character on SATC translates to how people see Sarah Jessica Parker. Rightly or wrongly.

I think she's brilliant.

I think so too.

Don't know about Carrie's wardrobe being what normal people can afford. Remember the Versace Mille Feuille dress? $50,000, :eek: something Carrie would never be able to afford in reality. ;)

Edit: found a pic and just had to share - it's gorgeous!

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_4zI8ttSp9lc/SS6Xcv4QIcI/AAAAAAAACMY/WsED8Rv8G78/s400/ep93_carrie_ruffledlayerdre.jpg
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 171
    Forum Member
    I think so too.

Don't know about Carrie's wardrobe being what normal people can afford. Remember the Versace Mille Feuille dress? $50,000, :eek: something Carrie would never be able to afford in reality. ;)

True!

And her Manolo shoes!
  • Options
    lucy manelucy mane Posts: 10,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jessica Simpson has also had her rather wide nose modified. So personally as far as I'm concerned, I'll judge her on her natural, original looks: not stunning, merely somewhat attractive.

Nope.
    Her sister got a nose job.
    "I like my nose, that's my favorite body part," she said. "I do have a bump, but I like my profile - I don't think anyone else has my exact same nose, I think it's unique and a little flawed."
    http://www.popeater.com/2010/04/02/jessica-simpson-tells-ladies-not-to-change-for-anyone/
    http://icydk.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/02/jessica_minivan.jpg
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It's amazing how her character influences fashion.

These
    Chanel Extreme shoes appeared in the first movie two years ago, and now the style is everywhere, not just in high end items.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 355
    Forum Member
    I've never been able to see why she's always been tagged as 'ugly' in season 4 (I think) where she had short soft curled hair and went to work at Vogue she was stunning.
    Pictures i've seen of her recently she does look a little rough but she was definately not ugly in SATC
  • Options
    Katla RevengerKatla Revenger Posts: 319
    Forum Member
    Straker wrote: »
    All I would say is that when her and Andie MacDowell are in the same place at the same time there’s always a big bale of hay and a large sack of oats nearby......

Neigh way.:D

SJP looks like she should be running in the 3:30 at Kempton Park.
  • Options
    Katla RevengerKatla Revenger Posts: 319
    Forum Member

Neigh way is that her.:eek:

A guy at work fancies SJP, his fascination with bestiality freaks me out.:D
  • Options
    lightonmyfeetlightonmyfeet Posts: 1,767
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She managed a job as "executive producer" on this series. What particular part of her acting "CV" handed her that hat as well as the slot as the alleged "star" character on the show? I believe her character was not the most popular with viewers.

I believe that SJP is the business brains behind the show, she very much has a say in the overall feel of the show. I also read that she has also been responsible for negiotating the product placements that fill the show. I personally do not think Carrie is a wholly likeable character, but she is the central character as the other 3 friends whilst being friends with each other, all gravitate towards Carrie when they have problems. None of the others is the central character, I actually think neither Miranda nor Charlotte are completely likeable characters, but that is what the show is about - less than perfect people with less than perfect physical features too.
    Hear, hear. :)

I think Kristen Davis is beautiful, but it's a very bland kind of beauty. SJP can be beautiful with the right clothes, make up and lighting, but she can also look extremely plain.

I agree. Kristen is beautiful, but Kristen also has "bad hands" like SJP, and so even beautiful women can be less that perfect, unlike SJP though she does not get mauled for it. I really dislike Kristen's Charlotte character, very "me me, I want I want" and lots of girlie whining to go with her expectations that the man in her life will provide all. As I say though if all the characters were perfect and appealed to everyone all the time, the show would not be as successful as it is.