UTV HD on sky at last

briant2001briant2001 Posts: 115
Forum Member
Just got an email from UTV with a launch date of November 4th for UTVHD on sky - about flippin time too!

Good thing is it'll automatically take the 103 slot!!

Comments

• Roland MouseRoland Mouse Posts: 9,531
    Forum Member
    So for people outside of Ireland, what would you recommend on UTV that we should tune into?

(Genuine question not micky taking.)

(We with other set ups than Sky can tune all things in)
  • briant2001briant2001 Posts: 115
    Forum Member
    Honestly... Nothing

It'll just be good to be able to record/rewind itv in HD over here!!
  • irishfeenirishfeen Posts: 10,025
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Love for UTV HD to replace TV3 Ireland on sky's Irish EPG... great little channel for Irish rallying.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 260
    Forum Member
    About time - we have been wating long enough. Just hope it's not suddenly delayed
  • leslie123leslie123 Posts: 2,493
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sure its on 103 and not an error. More likely on 178. Anyway look out for it anytime from now as its quite likely to be broadcasting off EPG as part of the testing process for a few weeks. Also what about UTV +1, will that be restored on satellite and allocated to 131 on Sky. Remember it was there originally when ITV+1 was originally introduced although never on EPG and then withdrawn for some reason. Finally what about STV HD, can we now assume that it will now be introduced on to both Sky and Freesat EPGs and not left outstanding. Remember that this has been broadcasting on satellite off EPG for a number of years now.
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are UTV actually originating any local programmes in HD or are they simply upscaled ? I understood BBC NI local news output was upscaled on the HD channel although Blackstaff is equipped to make programmes in HD.
  • leicslad46leicslad46 Posts: 3,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will there ever be a day that UTV and STV along with the irish republic channels are available to ALL viewers regardless of wherever you are. Be it in england scotland wales and ireland.

would be great if they became available
  • HarshadHarshad Posts: 5,996
    Forum Member
    i dont think you'd want to watch the irish republic channels they are stuck in the 90s permenantly, relatively few HD programmes and mostly imports on its main HD services but if you are irish living in England i agree with you are saying but it will never happen sadly.
  • Wilson FraserWilson Fraser Posts: 187
    Forum Member
    Could this force STV to launch HD on Sky officially and not off EPG. I hope so but won't hold my breath. :mad:
  • Reg_1994Reg_1994 Posts: 55
    Forum Member
    leicslad46 wrote: »
    Will there ever be a day that UTV and STV along with the irish republic channels are available to ALL viewers regardless of wherever you are. Be it in england scotland wales and ireland.

Bascially, no.
  • arista_tibb7arista_tibb7 Posts: 156
    Forum Member
    Could this force STV to launch HD on Sky officially and not off EPG. I hope so but won't hold my breath. :mad:

But can and does STV want to do that.
    Lack of funding
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    leicslad46 wrote: »

Back in the good old analogue days RTE had a channel called Tara which was available throughout the UK to those who had Sky. It carried RTE News live and various other programmes including the Late Late Show. It didn't make money and RTE closed it. A couple of years ago there was a plan to revive it but the economic climate at the time in Ireland ruled it out.
  • Dansky+HDDansky+HD Posts: 9,806
    Forum Member
    Still waiting for ITV to buy the channel 3 license in Northern Ireland & Scotland & STV & UTV to complete the monopoly.
  • neyney Posts: 12,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dansky+HD wrote: »
    Still waiting for ITV to buy the channel 3 license in Northern Ireland & Scotland & STV & UTV to complete the monopoly.

Bad idea and anyway ITV will be waiting to see what happens with next years Scottish independence referendum.
    STV have done well so far to fight off any takeover bids and stay Scottish.
    I think if Scotland vote yes. STV may in time go down the same road as TV3 in Ireland.

Darren
  • irishfeenirishfeen Posts: 10,025
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Harshad wrote: »
    i dont think you'd want to watch the irish republic channels they are stuck in the 90s permenantly, relatively few HD programmes and mostly imports on its main HD services but if you are irish living in England i agree with you are saying but it will never happen sadly.
    Wouldn't agree with that, the likes of RTÉ Two have all the big international series in HD and most of the time before their British counterparts and films premiere across all channels . RTÉ also has free champions league matches on Wednesday nights which you have to subscribe to sky to see in the UK.
  • Bandspread199Bandspread199 Posts: 4,900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dansky+HD wrote: »

STV is NOT for sale! Simple as that! And ITV can;'t buy the licence, they can buy the company that holds the licence, whioch is a totally different thing! The licence was awarded to STV, and will remain with STV- just as Granada, Tyne Tees, Yorkshire etc etc still hold the licences for their areas! And why are you waiting for this to happen? Are you in Scotland and want tyo hear the continuity in London announce the next programme? Do you want STV to lose local advertising? Do you want the news from ITN instead of from Scotland? STV may be a shadow of it's formal self, but at least it has an identity, unlike the English 'regions'.
  • DigifreakDigifreak Posts: 146
    Forum Member
    STV is NOT for sale! Simple as that! And ITV can;'t buy the licence, they can buy the company that holds the licence, whioch is a totally different thing! The licence was awarded to STV, and will remain with STV- just as Granada, Tyne Tees, Yorkshire etc etc still hold the licences for their areas! And why are you waiting for this to happen? Are you in Scotland and want tyo hear the continuity in London announce the next programme? Do you want STV to lose local advertising? Do you want the news from ITN instead of from Scotland? STV may be a shadow of it's formal self, but at least it has an identity, unlike the English 'regions'.

All ITV regions still broadcast local advertising which is sold on a local basis. Also STV has had news from ITN since 1956 (1963 in Grampian). ITN does not supply local news to the ITV regions, except I beleive in London when they took over from LNN in 2004. ITV produces and supplies the news locally in each individual region they hold a franchise.
  • DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ney wrote: »
    Bad idea and anyway ITV will be waiting to see what happens with next years Scottish independence referendum.
    STV have done well so far to fight off any takeover bids and stay Scottish.
    I think if Scotland vote yes. STV may in time go down the same road as TV3 in Ireland.

Darren

what is the situation with TV3 in Ireland compared with the 'channel 3' licence in the UK?
  • Wilson FraserWilson Fraser Posts: 187
    Forum Member
    STV has a large modern building in Glasgow. They have modern studios and make programmes for the ITV network. They can't be that short of money that they can't afford to go on the Sky EPG. Don't they realise HD is the way forward for all TV stations. The public in Scotland deserve to have a better service from their channel 3. All of the rest of the UK will have channel 3 in HD when Ulster TV goes HD live on Sky so Scotland will be playing catch up. :mad:
  • inverness1967inverness1967 Posts: 1,216
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    STV has a large modern building in Glasgow. They have modern studios and make programmes for the ITV network. They can't be that short of money that they can't afford to go on the Sky EPG. Don't they realise HD is the way forward for all TV stations. The public in Scotland deserve to have a better service from their channel 3. All of the rest of the UK will have channel 3 in HD when Ulster TV goes HD live on Sky so Scotland will be playing catch up. :mad:

They certainly have a modern building but it lacks decent studio facilities. The studio can only cope with Stv News and Scotland Tonight. Its a shame it could never match its Cowcaddens heyday. Hopefully with Utv going on the Epg might spur them to follow...ever hopeful.
  • GarryMcGarryMc Posts: 1,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    @WeAreSTV: "We are committed to making our HD service available on all platforms - pleased to confirm STV HD will be available on Sky from April 2014."
  • leslie123leslie123 Posts: 2,493
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why so long?
  • HertzHertz Posts: 3,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No UTV SD on channel 178 so way of telling if 103 is UTV HD or not, which is odd.

I can only assume it is UTV HD

Whoops. Just checked again and UTV HD is now on 103. UTV is on 178
  • Mark CMark C Posts: 20,901
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hertz wrote: »

Just checked again and UTV HD is now on 103. UTV is on 178

Well, I'm glad at last a PSB broadcaster has applied some common sense to HD/SD LCN mapping, take note please BBC, ITV, and C4 !!!!
  • derek500derek500 Posts: 24,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mark C wrote: »
    Well, I'm glad at last a PSB broadcaster has applied some common sense to HD/SD LCN mapping, take note please BBC, ITV, and C4 !!!!

It's easy for UTV. It's a single region with the same programmes, news and ads.