Options

Muxco N Wales W Cheshire

mjdj1689mjdj1689 Posts: 3,304
Forum Member
✭✭✭
This multiplex again is having problems, since last weekend , Heart North Wales and Nation have not been on air, thou the text on Heart is telling you the name of the song etc, thou its just dead air, Im surprised these 2 broadcasters don't get onto Muxco about this ?

Even when they are on air and Heart goes from Dab to FM if the signal is weak , there is about a 45 second delay between the 2 , this is crazy.

I like Nation but can only hear it on Dab.

Anyone know anything about this ?

Comments

• Options
    richie wildrichie wild Posts: 9,895
    Forum Member
    If you stay listening to Heart North Wales you'll eventually hear an IP address get read out by a female voice
  • Options
    radioviewerradioviewer Posts: 762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Typical Muxco. They couldn't organise a nun shoot in a nunnery.
  • Options
    LaurelandHardyLaurelandHardy Posts: 3,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Typical Muxco. They couldn't organise a nun shoot in a nunnery.

:confused::confused::confused::confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I got a reply from someone at Heart saying their engineers are looking into it., And now both are back on, at the bitrate of 112k, still with the 45 second delay between dab and fm.

Don't these stations monitor their output on dab ?

I was near Leek earlier and I could get the North Wales multiplex and the Derby multiplex, the difference between 112k and 128 is a lot, and how Muxco say that no one can tell between 112k and 1128k in bitrate is beyond me.

The Derbyshire version of Heart sounds far better and has much higher end too.

I wonder why Smooth or Capital are not on the Muxco multiplex for North Wales as there must be room still.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 313
    Forum Member
    It sounds like they're using In/Exstreamer IP boxes as uplinks; the IP readouts were common problems when the links reset themselves sometimes (and would also explain the 45sec encoding delay)

Craig
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks Craig the only station that sounds good at 112k is Dee on Dab , but when they go into automation at night , this is broadcast in mono at around 11pm to 6am, and sometimes you get the fm service playing as well as the dab version somenights.
  • Options
    Mr PringleMr Pringle Posts: 6,469
    Forum Member
    If they're using Barix MPEG links and then re-encoding then that would explain why 112k would sound so shoddy.