crb checks...please help

Hi I dont know if im posting this on the right chat page but im hoping someone can help because the only information i can find is 2 or 3 years old from 2011 so need to find out in 2014.... ive just applied for some jobs and was wondering if major stores like asda, tesco, b&q, morrisons etc do crb checks, I was attacked 9 yrs ago but I managed to fight him off with his own knife but he got hurt in the process and ended up taking ME to crown court as a result I was put on probation, and got suspended sentence anyway ive recently applied for numerous jobs but ive ticked the NO box to convictions I know im lying but to be honest I was scared and even more so now thats why I really need to know whether superstores do crb checks....sorry about the essay and I hope someone can help me thanku x**

Comments

• FilliAFilliA Posts: 864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If someone is going to do a CRB check you have to complete a form with the details they are going to check, declare any convictions and then sign to say you consent to the check. They cost a fortune so are only done in the case of a firm job offer.

Don't tell lies on the job application. Your conviction would be spent by now though wouldn't it? Good luck getting a job.
  • dave clarkedave clarke Posts: 1,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A) spent conviction
    B) theft or fraud might bother them but not that I wouldn't have thought
    C) they probably don't bother anyway
    Good luck
  • LushnessLushness Posts: 38,168
    Forum Member
    If you apply for a job and they ask whether you have any convictions, there is a chance that the company will ask for a DBS. An enhanced DBS will show all convictions regardless of whether they are spent or not as well as cautions. There is little point lying as the company will question your honesty and integrity when the DBS is returned.

Most companies are understand these things and will make a sensible but informed decision.
  • Jambo_cJambo_c Posts: 4,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't imagine they do them, they're quite expensive and I thought they only did them if you're working with children or vulnerable people. (Incidentally, they're not called CRB checks anymore, they're called DBS (disclosure and barring service) checks).
  • Frankie_LittleFrankie_Little Posts: 9,271
    Forum Member
    I'm pretty sure supermarkets don't do DBS checks.

Good luck with the job hunt.
  • cessnacessna Posts: 6,747
    Forum Member
    I think its now known as a DBS check. (Disclosure and Barring Services). With a charge of £26 or £46 applicable on every application, depending on the depth of search willing to pay for. Sorry to say that although certain spent convictions, in theory, are not supposed to be disclosed - I wouldn't put money on it !
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cessna wrote: »
    I think its now known as a DBS check. (Disclosure and Barring Services). With a charge of £26 or £46 applicable on every application, depending on the depth of search willing to pay for. Sorry to say that although certain spent convictions, in theory, are not supposed to be disclosed - I wouldn't put money on it !

Any spent convictions do not need to be disclosed unless you are applying to work with vulnerable adults or with children. While on probation you should have been told what you need to disclose. Some employers ask about spent convictions when they shouldn't. Id say its best to explain in interview you have a spent conviction if theyre going to do a DBS, and the back story, then it won't bite you in the bum and you won't be waiting to be exposed. But a spent conviction is just that, soent , no matter the crime