Archos 604 - copy protected recording

I recently purchased a music CD which I ripped to my computer hard drive as MP3 tracks using Real Player. I then copied the tracks to my Archos 604 from where I have been able to listen to them for the past month with no problems.

When trying to play the tracks today the following message was displayed - "Play stopped. File is copy protected". The same tracks on my computer hard disk are still playable.

1. Does this mean that any copyright music recorded on the Archos will become unplayable after a month?

2. If I am able to re-copy the tracks from my computer to the Archos, will they too be stopped after 30 days?

3. Is there a limit to the number of times music can be copied or ripped from a CD to a computer or other device before copyright protection prevents further copying attempts?

Seems to be pointless purchasing any more CD's if I am unable to play them on any portable device.

Comments

• TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Perhaps you have a settings problem when you ripped using Realplayer?

Don't Archos devices sync with Windows Media Player. Try ripping the tracks using that making sure that they are unprotected MP3s not WMAs or anything this is the first I have heard fo this problem.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 346
    Forum Member
    Have you changed the hard-drive mode between Hard Disk and Windows Device? Because copy-protected music will only play if the player is set to Windows Device.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26
    Forum Member
    Thanks toThebigM and clh84 for your prompt advice.

I always use the Archos in the PC Hard Drive mode when connected to the computer for the purpose of copying files, never in the Windows Media Device mode. I prefer to use the Archos as an extra hard drive with the ease to copy/paste and not wishing to sync my Archos to avoid duplicating the entire My Music folder.

Yesterday I deleted the no play tracks and then copied them again from my computer to the Archos. They
    played without problem but will presumably be stopped by the copyright protection after a further month.
    If so, surely this defeats the intent of the protection?

I have also copied the tracks in WMA format using Windows Media Player 10 and these are also now on the Archos but it will be another 30 days before I discover whether this overcomes the problem.

On your advice I’ll reset the Archos to Windows Media Device mode and try copying as unprotected MP3.

I’ll keep you posted but it may take some time before I know the result.

Clearly I have much to learn about copying music, MP3’s and sync.

Thanks again.
    Forum Member
    I stated incorrectly that the previously stopped MP3 tracks played OK after being deleted and then restored from comuter hard disk. Unfortunately this is not so, they are still unplayable "Play stopped. File is copy protected" even though I have reset the Archos system USB preference to Windows Media Device.

The same tracks in WMA format are playable irrespective of the Archos USB setting but I suspect they will also default to"Stopped" after 30 days.

Both the WMA and MP3 versions on the computer are at present unaffected by the copyright problem.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 346
    Forum Member
    I honestly don't know what this might be, but seeing as the music has been ripped from a shop-bought CD (as opposed to downloaded) one thing to check would be the settings in WMP or RealPlayer.

WMP 10 > Tools > Option > Rip Music > http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c320/retropop/wmp10.jpg Is that circled box checked? Also check for anything similar in RealPlayer.

:)
    Forum Member
    clh84 wrote:
    I honestly don't know what this might be, but seeing as the music has been ripped from a shop-bought CD (as opposed to downloaded) one thing to check would be the settings in WMP or RealPlayer.

WMP 10 > Tools > Option > Rip Music > http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c320/retropop/wmp10.jpg Is that circled box checked? Also check for anything similar in RealPlayer.

:)
    I think you must be on the right lines. I have copied the tracks using Windows Media Player WMA with the copy protect box unchecked. Time will tell if this is the solution.

Unable to find a similar option for Real Player so will stick with Media Player in the future.

Thanks again for your help
  • martcalmartcal Posts: 83
    Forum Member
    I downloaded this free ripping software and it works a treat, only takes a couple of minutes to download from :

http://www.mgshareware.com/frmmain.shtml
    Forum Member
    martcal wrote:
    I downloaded this free ripping software and it works a treat, only takes a couple of minutes to download from :

http://www.mgshareware.com/frmmain.shtml

Thanks for the advice, I'll give the shareware a try.

I have used Windows Media Player and Real Player to rip CD's, both appeared to do the job but it seems I had not set up Media Player correctly. I have copyright protected everything I have ripped with Media Player so that the tracks become unplayable on the Archos after a month. The same tracks on the computer HD are not affected.

I have reset WMD to prevent coyright and hopefully this will solve the problem for future rips.

Real Player still seems to copyright everything I rip and I am unable to discover how to turn off this feature.

Thanks again