Options

How do i Hook my laptop up to panny plasma

Hi, anyone know how to hook the audio cable up ? I hooked the vga cable from the laptop to tv ok. Just wondering which audio cable i need to hook up for the sound. My tv has two audio in for right and left. Cheers...

Comments

• Options
    grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mal2pool wrote: »
    Hi, anyone know how to hook the audio cable up ? I hooked the vga cable from the laptop to tv ok. Just wondering which audio cable i need to hook up for the sound. My tv has two audio in for right and left. Cheers...

You need a mini stereo jack plug to two rca phono cable

eg

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2M-3-5mm-to-2-RCA-Stereo-phono-Audio-Cable-for-iPod-Mp3_W0QQitemZ250556788449QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Computing_CablesConnectors_RL?hash=item3a56592ee1
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,520
    Forum Member
    That's correct if the TV uses two phonos for VGA sound, but most use a 3.5mm stereo jack socket, just like on the PC. I'd be inclined to double check firat, before going out and buying a lead.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,087
    Forum Member
    take the laptop to Maplins
  • Options
    mal2poolmal2pool Posts: 5,690
    Forum Member
    That's correct if the TV uses two phonos for VGA sound, but most use a 3.5mm stereo jack socket, just like on the PC. I'd be inclined to double check firat, before going out and buying a lead.

Thanks people. My tv hasnt a headphone socket so probs need the 2 x 1 rca lead i think
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks people. My tv hasnt a headphone socket so probs need the 2 x 1 rca lead i think

A headphone socket is an output not an input. Look close to the socket where you connect the laptop. There will either be a pair of rca phonos (red/white) like my Sony TV or a 3.5mm hole same as on your laptop used for audio out.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    take the laptop to Maplins

There's no point 3.5mm stereo sockets are standard on laptops for stereo audio out, the only doubt is the TV end which might be a bit big to take to Maplins :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ok. When i hook it up would i get high definition pic if i say used bbc i player on my tv . Or maybe id need an hd cable for that. My tvs only hd ready.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    There will either be a pair of rca phonos (red/white) like my Sony TV or a 3.5mm hole same as on your laptop used for audio out.

Are you sure about that?, every Sony I've seen has a 3.5mm socket for VGA sound - this includes the six different ones I've just looked at as well.

They have two phonos for Component audio IN, and two for Composite audio IN - most also have a second 3.5mm audio IN for HDMI as well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ok. When i hook it up would i get high definition pic if i say used bbc i player on my tv . Or maybe id need an hd cable for that. My tvs only hd ready.

VGA gives you HD no problem - although the exact resolution depends on the specific TV, there are often limitations via VGA to specific VGA resolutions.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are you sure about that?, every Sony I've seen has a 3.5mm socket for VGA sound - this includes the six different ones I've just looked at as well.

They have two phonos for Component audio IN, and two for Composite audio IN - most also have a second 3.5mm audio IN for HDMI as well.

Hang on Nigel I will have to crawl round the back of my TV.

You are right the RCA phonos are the component audio in and the vga has the 3.5mm stereo socket.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 422
    Forum Member
    As far as I am aware, the 2009 range of Panasonics uses the same RCA phonos in for the audio in for component AND PC inputs so a 3.5mm to RCA phono cable is needed. Older Panasonic ranges may possibly do this as well
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The TV manual will give you the acceptable res settings and refresh rates for the vga input. For example My Sony will handle 1360 x 768 @ 60Hz or 1280 x 1024 @ 60Hz. The graphics card on your laptop may not go as high as the tv can. The number of pixels on your screen is not really a guide (mine has 1920 x 1080).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the advice guys. Managed to hook it up no bother. Watched Rambo IV on You Tube in hi def. Looked pretty good. Also the Life series with David Attenborough.. Great pics. Didnt need to mess around with the resolution.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hi again. I watched a movie on you tube with my laptop. Next day the laptop wouldnt boot up. Well it did sometimes then kept going into reboot every few seconds. Now it won't boot up at all. Fan starts then just shuts down. Watching the you tube film the laptop fan was going all the time, seemed to be struggling. Maybe its overheated. You think my hard drive has broken? Thanks.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi again. I watched a movie on you tube with my laptop. Next day the laptop wouldnt boot up. Well it did sometimes then kept going into reboot every few seconds. Now it won't boot up at all. Fan starts then just shuts down. Watching the you tube film the laptop fan was going all the time, seemed to be struggling. Maybe its overheated. You think my hard drive has broken? Thanks.
    Is the laptop still connected to the TV?

When you did connect it to the TV did you have it set up so that the laptop monitor was off, or were both the laptop monitor and the TV both on at the same time?

Quite often there is a key sequence you need to press to switch between the two. Often it is the blue FN key and F7 or F8 (I forget which). These have three settings - both on, laptop on/TV off and finally laptop off/TV on. The key sequence cycles between these three states.

You might have done something that has confused this state while trying to get a picture, so you might need to go into Safe Mode in order to reset things. There shouldn't be anything to do, just go into safe mode and shut down again. Then restart and give it a couple of minutes before cycling the viewing states, if necessary.

Next time, always reset the viewing state back to normal (laptop monitor only) BEFORE shutting down the computer.

Just to clear something up. Audio inputs are neither component or composite. However, there is the possibility that the multi-component red green blue RCA type video inputs are allied with one set of audio inputs (either red/white phono or 3.5mm two channel jack), while the simple yellow composite may have another set of audio inputs, as might a VGA, DVI or HDMI video input.

I resist the use of the word "stereo" because that excludes the fact that two audio channels can carry surround sound, primarily the Dolby Pro Logic standard, which is encoded into most films, or is dirived from discrete Dolby multi channel digital encoded movies.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yes had the laptop playing the same pic as the tv. Seemed to be struggling in hd so played the film at normal res. Expensive movie if its damaged the hard drive...if thats the case. Not sure how to use safe mode.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,087
    Forum Member
    soundss like the fan

does it wirr round ?? have a look
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I got onto HP compaq free chat advice. They told me to go for a clear boot. Did that, a bit better. Then they said reinstall windows xp so might try that. Checked the hard drive and it passed.