What retro game are you currently playing?

Comments

• GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    X-Com Enemy Unknown :D

Not the new one sadly!!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 199
    Forum Member
    bob2005 wrote: »
    Dug out Zelda on the gameboy colour still a class game.

I don't know which of the three Zelda games on GBC you're refering to, but I recently played Link's Awakening on my 3DS and it is nothing short of mesmerizing. It's seriously a contender for the best handheld game ever made. Too bad I couldn't get to the seventh dungeon...
  • gamez-fangamez-fan Posts: 2,201
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I see in your services you work on Coin Ops for Xbox? I actually just installed a full set of the most recent Coin Ops 3 which came in at a monster 50gb+

I was so impressed to see Ketsui and DoDonPachi Dai Ou Jou running at great speeds. It's also how I've been playing Streets of Rage Remix. It's an impressive piece of work! If you're into console emulation you can't beat Xbox for this kind of shizz

As for retro, I've been playing a fair bit of R-Type Dimensions on 360, what a beautiful remake of both arcade games, it's by far the definite version of R-Type and the HD graphics make it look great. Nails hard though!

I've also been playing some of the C64 port, now this gets slated a lot because of the situation arising it's release back in the day, basically Activision were put to the task of porting it and were struggling getting a decent game together while at the same time the awesome Katakis was being created by a highly talented team (Manfred Trenz and co), so they threatened legal action and ended up hiring the team to do the conversion. Unfortunately they were only given a very short time to port it.

I personally think they done a great job, the title screen music is great and the gameplay is as good as you could hope for tbh. I'm not sure why it gets such a bad rep. The Spectrum version is always held in such high regard but tbh I prefer the C64 game.

Nothing beats the Amiga conversion of R-Type though! Up there with the PCE game.

LOL i dont work on the project just a member on the forum if your into the emu scene head on over the developer of coinops is there youll be more than welcome plus if you have any requests games wise or features you like added then drop him a line
  • Katana1000Katana1000 Posts: 750
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Interesting stuff.

I started out on an Amiga 500 around 1990, then moved on to the PC the following year with a bought 386 DX 33 clone, then built my first PC a 486DX2 66 still on DOS 5, been building my own PC's ever since.

There were some great games back then that I've been replaying since last year thanks to DOSbox.

Replayed System Shock 2, Thief Gold, Thief 2, Thief 3, Dues Ex (the original and played the three different endings) Ultima Underworld and Ultima Underworld 2, the latter that I finished just a couple of weeks ago, the Thief UW and Dues Ex games especially are way ahead of current games in gameplay design, the graphics are old for sure, but if you can switch off to that its like reading a good book that you interact with thanks to these games non linear design and great plots with sub plots ETC.

I also re-played Indy Fate of Atlantis, Full Throttle, the two Monkey Island graphic remakes and now realise I forgot to do Day of the Tentacle at the same time as those, so one more for the list.

I'm currently playing STALKER SoC that I never got round to playing at time of release, loving the atmosphere, but once I finish this I'm going to have a go at the original System Shock (not SS2) I did complete this at its release time but want to play it once more.

Someone mentioned Dungeon Master, I played that on my Amiga, might give it and the first Eye of the Beholder game a replay this year too.

Dungeon Keeper 1 and 2 were good ones that I'd like to try once more.

I would love a Ultima Underworld 3, System Shock 3, a graphical re-boot of Indiana Jones Fate of Atlantis and am anxiously waiting for the promised Thief 4 that might eventually surface this year?
  • 2dshmuplover2dshmuplover Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    gamez-fan wrote: »
    LOL i dont work on the project just a member on the forum if your into the emu scene head on over the developer of coinops is there youll be more than welcome plus if you have any requests games wise or features you like added then drop him a line

haha oh right. I think I am registered on the forum anyway, I think it's a great emu, especially for MAME and for SDTV users it has some really good options for scaling that were missing from older MAME emus. I still use Final Burn Legends for some games as it has better performance (especially for some of the Raizing shmups). It seems a RAM/CPU modded Xbox is needed to make the most of some of the games featured on Coin-Ops 3.
    Forum Member
    Katana1000 wrote: »
    and am anxiously waiting for the promised Thief 4 that might eventually surface this year?

Thief is a series I always wanted to get into but never got around to it. I have Deadly Shadows on Xbox and it seems good, not sure how it compares to the PC games. The fourth game is due out next month apparently.. absolutely no hype surrounding it though. I don't think most gamers care too much for stealth games these days, too impatient. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thief is a series I always wanted to get into but never got around to it. I have Deadly Shadows on Xbox and it seems good, not sure how it compares to the PC games. The fourth game is due out next month apparently.. absolutely no hype surrounding it though. I don't think most gamers care too much for stealth games these days, too impatient. :)

The Cradle level in The Deadly shadows is about as scary as it gets in gaming, you should play the game until that point at least ... Play in a darkened room with headphones on for best effect.

Are you sure Thief 4 is out next month? I check the official forums fairly regularly and had a look there just over a week ago and there was no hint at all.

Thief has a very loyal following but yes it does need patience, no shoot em up instant gratification with these games :)

EDIT: Thief Gold (the first Thief game) is getting a gog release soon, maybe you mean that?
    Forum Member
    Hi, no I mean <this>

I've got it on preorder for 360, but I did think it was strange there's been no hype. I guess it's not such a popular game so that may explain it.

I'll make a point to play Deadly Shadows though, you make it sound good. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi, no I mean <this>

I've got it on preorder for 360, but I did think it was strange there's been no hype. I guess it's not such a popular game so that may explain it.

I'll make a point to play Deadly Shadows though, you make it sound good. :)

Hi and thanks for that, I'd not put too much confidence in that date though I've seen a lot of sites give release dates and when you go ask the game maker they say its news to them ... but I'll register today on thief4.com and see what they say about this date as there is no news of any release there yet.

http://www.thief4.com/

Thief 4 is being made by the same people who did Dues Ex HR and presumably now that its finished they will be starting in earnest on Thief 4 but so far there has only been one leaked alpha gameplay screenshot ... I honestly think its a while off yet.

Cheers.
  • Lith66Lith66 Posts: 376
    Forum Member
    I'm currently playing metal gear solid 1 and final fantasy 8. both still look good. Kinda forgot most of the stuff now as been like 11 years of not playing them so like a new game to me
  • BartackBartack Posts: 1,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nox. Really fun game. :)
    Forum Member
    Katana1000 wrote: »
    Hi and thanks for that, I'd not put too much confidence in that date though I've seen a lot of sites give release dates and when you go ask the game maker they say its news to them ... but I'll register today on thief4.com and see what they say about this date as there is no news of any release there yet.

http://www.thief4.com/

Thief 4 is being made by the same people who did Dues Ex HR and presumably now that its finished they will be starting in earnest on Thief 4 but so far there has only been one leaked alpha gameplay screenshot ... I honestly think its a while off yet.

Cheers.

Yeah I think you're right hehe. When you said you visit the offical forums and there was no mention of it I knew that date was rubbish. Great news it's the same team behind Deus Ex: HR developing the game.
  • geobradgeobrad Posts: 548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CBFreak wrote: »
    I'm currently looking for a copy of Flashback that I can play on my PC.

http://thecompany.pl/game/Flashback+*PL*Multilanguage*
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,864
    Forum Member
    I decided to dig out FIFA 97 last night. Very dated, but the commentary makes me laugh. 4-1 up with 30 seconds left and John Motson says "We're heading for a draw and possibly extra time":D

Any sliding tackle seems to prompt a "Oooh, what a bad challenge there" from John Motson.:D
  • JeeooorghhhbbbJeeooorghhhbbb Posts: 490
    Forum Member
    Just been playing (and completed!) Cool Spot on the Super Nintendo. It's frustrating in parts (lots of precision jumping and leaps of faith), plus it gets bogged down by toy levels in the middle, but it's not a bad game. I love 16-Bit platformers, and this is quite a fun one. Wondering which one to go for next now.
  • flynnflynn Posts: 903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Speedball 2, on the PSP. One of the most fun pick up 'n play games ever :)

Ice Cream! Ice Cream!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,550
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yoshis Island
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,784
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't played many retro games recently but I always seem to return to "Secret of Mana" or with "Shining Force".
  • Sick BulletSick Bullet Posts: 20,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    San Andreas in a few days :D
    Forum Member
    flynn wrote: »
    Speedball 2, on the PSP. One of the most fun pick up 'n play games ever :)

Ice Cream! Ice Cream!

Can't beat a bit of Speedball 2! I've always found it really tough though, like impossible tough.

I've been getting back into my Saturn recently, man Sega Rally still plays as good today as it ever did, it just has the most perfect vehicle handling, something about it makes it one of the most addictive games I've ever played.

Aside form that a bit of DoDonPachi, lovely conversion which plays better than it looks, especially with the Saturn mkII controller.

Lastly been getting right into Panzer Dragoon Zwei, I would say it maybe even rivals Star Fox 64 in terms of playability, the musical score is so epic, you just don't get games that have such an original atmosphere these days. I think this game offers an experience that even the N64 or PS1 just cannot match.
  • gamez-fangamez-fan Posts: 2,201
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    haha oh right. I think I am registered on the forum anyway, I think it's a great emu, especially for MAME and for SDTV users it has some really good options for scaling that were missing from older MAME emus. I still use Final Burn Legends for some games as it has better performance (especially for some of the Raizing shmups). It seems a RAM/CPU modded Xbox is needed to make the most of some of the games featured on Coin-Ops 3.

just for the record what shumps do ya think play better ive tried a few of the 8ing raizing games in FBL ie batrider but they seemed to have some severe slowdown but although they play faster in coinops the framerate and scrolling seems really jittery so it's a toss up really
    Forum Member
    gamez-fan wrote: »
    just for the record what shumps do ya think play better ive tried a few of the 8ing raizing games in FBL ie batrider but they seemed to have some severe slowdown but although they play faster in coinops the framerate and scrolling seems really jittery so it's a toss up really

Yeah any of the Raizing games such as Battle Garegga, Battle Bakraid, Armed Police Batrider and Dimahoo. All of them play at full speed in FBL on Xbox but on Coin Ops 3 frameskip kicks in for whatever reason.

Yep there is still slowdown in FBL, mainly because the original PCB's also featured this slowdown, Batrider probably has the most, quite an extreme amount but then it's a really hectic game so you kinda need it. For the record you can enter the general options while playing a game and overclock the 68K CPU up to 200% which will eliminate this slowdown if you don't want it. Makes some of these shmups way harder though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 80
    Forum Member
    ive been playing a lot of the following recently:
    Theme Hospital
    Dungeon Keeper 2
    Theme Park
    Magic Land Dizzy
    Tetris
    Forum Member
    I know it's not really retro but I have been playing Panzer Dragoon Orta on Xbox with a Saturn mk II controller via the Magic Box adaptor. Rail shooter heaven!