Karen Gillan follows in Matt smith's footsteps

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 357
Forum Member
https://mobile.twitter.com/empiremagazine/status/358774600932392960/photo/1

Wow, yep.
went bald for a movie roll, not that this pertains to doctor who I'm quite shocked to be honest
it's a trend

Comments

• JCRJCR Posts: 24,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The character also has blue skin, if they're going by the comics: http://www.comiccollectorlive.com/LiveData/Issue.aspx?id=9cdc1604-2e7f-4d27-836b-1dd55056deb2
  • King_MrhKing_Mrh Posts: 502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The girl's a real beauty, she can even pull off that look.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 357
    Forum Member
    I think she's beautiful as well, just find it so ironic they both shaved their locks for roles
  • CorabalCorabal Posts: 3,371
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I was looking up Nebula she had long black hair, odd.
  • Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Nothing compares to youuuuu...." :D
  • Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member
    "Nothing compares to youuuuu...." :D

"It's going to be a fine day tomooorrooww...." ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjIPzyVlK60

(Oddly, Opus III singer Kirsty Hawkshaw now has a thick
    head of blonde locks....)
  • CoalHillJanitorCoalHillJanitor Posts: 15,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :eek: Shaven-headed Doctor regenerates into shaven-headed ginger female in Christmas shocker!
  • JAS84JAS84 Posts: 7,430
    Forum Member
    Corabal wrote: »
    The character recently became bald in the comics too, apparently. I was baffled that when I did a Google search, all I saw were images of Karen or a long haired Nebula. Then I looked on marvel.wikia.com, which lists her hair colour as "Bald, formerly black".
  • Richard_WatsonRichard_Watson Posts: 426
    Forum Member
    Corabal wrote: »

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m9622jlS411ruukiw.jpg
  • Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    Fair play to her.

Can't have been easy but she pulls it off well though.
    Forum Member
    Shawn_Lunn wrote: »
    Fair play to her.

Can't have been easy but she pulls it off well though.

Maybe she's hoping this will get more attention for the
    movie? Look at all the press coverage Natalie Portman
    got for shaving it off for "V For Vendetta".
  • haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a shame, she had beautiful hair and it will take ages to grow back.
    Hope she doesn't regret it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 129
    Forum Member
    haphash wrote: »
    What a shame, she had beautiful hair and it will take ages to grow back.
    Hope she doesn't regret it.

She won't regret it. Look at all the positive publicity it's got her and her new film. She didn't do it because she felt like a hair cut. She's blatantly done a Portman to help her career.

No doubt in a few weeks/months she'll spew out some lingo about hoping it also helps young girls feel better about themselves or some such nonsense. The more I see of Gillan the more I believe she has a very false public persona I'm afraid. No one can be that silly most of the time surely?
    Forum Member
    She won't regret it. Look at all the positive publicity it's got her and her new film. She didn't do it because she felt like a hair cut. She's blatantly done a Portman to help her career.

Oh, how terrible. Young actress gets new
    haircut to help her career.
    What an awful thing to do. She's worse
    than Myra Hindley! :rolleyes:

I don't see any evidence that Karen is either "silly" or
    that she has set up a false public persona.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 357
    Forum Member

I think she's quite silly, but I like it.
    Forum Member

I never said it was on that kind of scale. But it is very clear why she did it to most. She isn't the first and nor will she be the last actress to shave her hair off to garner attention for themselves.
  • Richard_WatsonRichard_Watson Posts: 426
    Forum Member
    I never said it was on that kind of scale. But it is very clear why she did it to most. She isn't the first and nor will she be the last actress to shave her hair off to garner attention for themselves.

She's playing a character that's bald. What's she supposed to do, stick her massive amount of hair under a bald cap?

You strike me as someone who's just petty and jealous over the fact that she's heading for a major movie career, to be honest.
    Forum Member
    She's playing a character that's bald. What's she supposed to do, stick her massive amount of hair under a bald cap?

You strike me as someone who's just petty and jealous over the fact that she's heading for a major movie career, to be honest.

I'm very much not jealous since I don't have an ounce of acting ability in my body. A career in the public eye is not something I have ever aspired towards.

As for the bald cap, I'm inclined to believe that her character was supposed to have long dark hair to begin with before it was changed to being bald instead. But yes a bald cap does it's job for many people in other films so why not this one?

As much as I may be torn apart for it by some I always have and will continue to find Karen a rather false character. There is far more to her than meets the eye. Is she nice? Yes. Does that mean she isn't beyond a PR stunt or two? Absolutely not.
  • haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have to say I don't understand why she didn't go with a bald cap. It might work being bald for this film but generally the Americans like girls to have long hair so it won't help for any future roles.
    Forum Member
    haphash wrote: »
    Have to say I don't understand why she didn't go with a bald cap. It might work being bald for this film but generally the Americans like girls to have long hair so it won't help for any future roles.

She appears to have a fantastic agent in the US so I'm sure roles will continue to be forthcoming, the quality of those roles who knows. This Guardians film is by far her biggest role to date though.