How do you handle the death of a pet who you love more than life? 16 YO dog

Zeropoint1Zeropoint1 Posts: 10,917
Forum Member
✭✭
How have you handled the death of a much loved pet?

I ask because I have a 16 (ish) year old collie who is mentally fine, but her legs are less than perfect and she can struggle with slippery surfaces or just standing up after she's been sleeping for a few hours.

I know she is closer to the end of her story than the start but I honestly think her passing will rip me apart, far more than any human death has.... Other than a friend who took her own life at 23.

Are there places to talk on line after loosing a four legged friend who has always been there even during the darkest times?
The thought of loosing her scares me so much as I fear I may do something 'stupid'

Comments

• HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zeropoint1 wrote: »

I ask because I have a 16 (ish) year old collie who is mentally fine, but her legs are less than perfect and she can struggle with slippery surfaces or just standing up after she's been sleeping for a few hours.

I know she is closer to the end of her story than the start but I honestly think her passing will rip me apart, far more than any human death has.... Other than a friend who took her own life at 23.

Are there places to talk on line after loosing a four legged friend who has always been there even during the darkest times?
    The thought of loosing her scares me so much as I fear I may do something 'stupid'

I presume there are, but this reminded me that the Blue Cross run a freephone pet bereavement helpline to comfort owners:

0800 096 6606

https://www.bluecross.org.uk/pet-bereavement-support
  • Zeropoint1Zeropoint1 Posts: 10,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    I presume there are, but this reminded me that the Blue Cross run a freephone pet bereavement helpline to comfort owners:

0800 096 6606

https://www.bluecross.org.uk/pet-bereavement-support

Thank you, as I say she is still with us but I'm so scared of loosing her as she is the one person I can trust and always tell everything to.

I think my main fear is after loosing a friend who took her own life at 23 and a few months later came across a woman of a similar age who tried (and thankfully) failed to jump off a bridge, I went out for a quick drink as I couldn't deal with the situation and had many bad thoughts plus far too much alcohol to numb the pain..
    Fortunately it was all a blank but the thought of loosing my dog leaves me scared.
  • miss_astridmiss_astrid Posts: 1,808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you fear you 'may do something stupid' when your dog goes, perhaps counselling might help? Have a chat with your GP about that.

It's only natural to fear losing her. She's been a huge part of your life, and for a long time. People who don't/haven't had pets don't really understand just how much a part of your life and family they become. I've recently had to have a dog put down, I had him for just under 6 months but he was a family pet (my sister's originally, went to my dad and he could no longer cope, so the dog came to me). He was in a bad shape when I got him, but I did my best. Like your Collie, he was mentally sound, but his legs were in pretty bad shape. It got to the point where he couldn't even support himself to walk to his food or go to the toilet, and that's when I had him put down. It's kinder to do that than them suffer the indignity of not being able to eat or go to the toilet. It was hard, even though I'd only had him 6 months, but it was the kindest thing to do. When I was younger my cat was put down - that went pretty badly. I'd had him since i was small, and my parents thought it was better to have him put down without me being there, worst thing they could've done. I'm still sad that I never got to say goodbye to him.

Please know that your Collie has lived a good life with you! And when you feel down when the inevitable happens, just think, would she want you to stop living? It's only natural to grieve, and we all cope differently. Eventually you could adopt a rescue dog and save them from a life of loneliness?

I'm sorry to have kept going on about what happens when your Collie does pass. But please know that it'll probably feel like your whole world is collapsing. But it does get better.
  • tbluexxtbluexx Posts: 164
    Forum Member
    Not long ago, I had to have my beloved 14-year old greyhound put down... I'd had him since he was 2 years old, and he meant the world to me. (Similar to your dog, he seemed ok in his mind, but his legs had gone, and normal life was impossible for him.)The day he went, I sat in the house with a bottle of vodka, got very drunk and sobbed my eyes out.
    I took a couple of days off work, thanks to having a very kind and understanding boss, but life has to go on. When you say doing 'something stupid', I assume you mean killing yourself... that would indeed be very stupid, and hopefully you are not a stupid person.

Unfortunately, I am not in a position to get another dog... but maybe you are? Think about all those sad and lonely dogs in rescue shelters that need someone just like you to love and care for them. When the time comes, give yourself some time and space to grieve your dog's passing, but then think about how you made your dog's life better and about how good it would feel to do the same for a poor lonely hound in a shelter, and do what you think is right. It will help you get over your grief, and will save another dog's life as well.
  • pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You must see your GP first and foremost. It sounds like your mental health isn't good.

When you're stronger emotionally, you can prepare yourself for life without your dog. As a dog owner all you can really do is content yourself that you made the right choices for your dog and that you gave him a long and happy life.

You cant force him to live forever though.
  • boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you fear you 'may do something stupid' when your dog goes, perhaps counselling might help? Have a chat with your GP about that.

It's only natural to fear losing her. She's been a huge part of your life, and for a long time. People who don't/haven't had pets don't really understand just how much a part of your life and family they become. I've recently had to have a dog put down, I had him for just under 6 months but he was a family pet (my sister's originally, went to my dad and he could no longer cope, so the dog came to me). He was in a bad shape when I got him, but I did my best. Like your Collie, he was mentally sound, but his legs were in pretty bad shape. It got to the point where he couldn't even support himself to walk to his food or go to the toilet, and that's when I had him put down. It's kinder to do that than them suffer the indignity of not being able to eat or go to the toilet. It was hard, even though I'd only had him 6 months, but it was the kindest thing to do. When I was younger my cat was put down - that went pretty badly. I'd had him since i was small, and my parents thought it was better to have him put down without me being there, worst thing they could've done. I'm still sad that I never got to say goodbye to him.

Please know that your Collie has lived a good life with you! And when you feel down when the inevitable happens, just think, would she want you to stop living? It's only natural to grieve, and we all cope differently. Eventually you could adopt a rescue dog and save them from a life of loneliness?

I'm sorry to have kept going on about what happens when your Collie does pass. But please know that it'll probably feel like your whole world is collapsing. But it does get better.

I don't have any problem with people mourning pets deeply. They are after all, family
    Members, just like human relatives. I have lost pets & mourned them.

When the time comes remember that you gave your dog a long & happy life & that he/she loved you very much. That is all anyone could wish for anyone they share their life with. Sadly death is inevitable, for all of us, human or animal. It's the painful inevitability that is impossible to avoid.

Mourn your dog fully (but please don't do anything to yourself-what would be the point of that?) and(this may not be what you want to hear right now) perhaps in a year or 2 consider buying another dog, so the sadness can be somewhat dissipated by sharing your life with a new friend.
  • ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There are asome current threads dealing with the loss of beloved pets over in the pets forum. On this one
    I cant get over my cats death

is a particularly good post by Roni_J
    Roni_J wrote: »
    Sorry for your loss, when I lost my girl it really hit me hard. Harder than I was expecting given time it does ease. At the time I didn't want to get another cat but have since heard getting another a few weeks after especially a rescue who is probably missing previous owners helps, you can comfort each other.

I wish I heard this before, I left it so long I just kept putting it off until soon a few years had past and still no cat. I eventually got round to going to the shelter and found such a sad boy who had seemed to have given up after his owners rejected him. It took a long time and a lot of patients but I now have a happy boy who is the most loving cat I have ever known.

Although this has been really rewarding I regret not doing it sooner I could have done it for another cat and it would have helped my grief.

So it will get better but perhaps in a week or so it might help to check out shelters you don't have to commit to a new cat straight away but you may just find a cat who needs your help to get over a loss as much you need theirs.

Sadly there is no way you can avoid the grief but adopting a rescue dog in the same situation may well be the best answer.
    Wishing you and your dog the best and the strength to cope when the sad day comes.
  • Mouth of MarbleMouth of Marble Posts: 95
    Forum Member
    My dog of 14 years without warning.

I found it dead one day coming back from work, its horrible but you get over it.
  • marieukxxmarieukxx Posts: 4,857
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have lost two dogs. One was 10 and very ill so that was traumatic for me trying to save him and I did really find it hard to get over. My other was 16, blind and incontinent and at the end he suddenly got ill overnight and it was his kidneys shutting down. I had to let him go and I knew it was the right thing to do. When I got home it sunk in and I lost it. Crying my heart out wanting him back. But After a few days I realised you can't hold onto them forever. He had a very long happy life and that helped me get over it. 16 is a damn good age.

I did find it a massive comfort that I had actually gotten another two younger dogs before this so I had them. I had Cookie and Benny my boys and still have their pictures up. Now I have my two girls that I wouldn't be without.

There are breed specific forums and dog forums. I am a member of one and have so many freinds from all over the world. Cookie my 16 year old was well known on the forum as I posted his pics all the time and he was the oldest there and I got a lot of support from my friends there when I posted that he had passed.
  • duffsdadduffsdad Posts: 11,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My oldest dog is 18 and failing. Cataracts, deafness, kidney function are all taking their toll and I dread the day he goes.

I think what you need to remember is that your dogloves you more than anything and if it's like mine hates to see you sad. She also knows you have given her a perfect life full of love and safety. That's why she would want you to go on and maybe even in time offer that same security to another dog that needs it.

When my dog was younger we used to go on these huge forest walks. He would race ahead and then stand barking as if to say "It's okay mum, on you come" This would go on for the whole walk. I like to think when he goes he'll do the same on his next journey and wait for us telling us everythings okay.

You cant love without being hurt unfortunately..
  • SwipeSwipe Posts: 6,381
    Forum Member
    Get another dog as soon as your collie goes.
  • bright eyesbright eyes Posts: 98
    Forum Member
    I have lost two dogs , one at 15 and one at 14. I cried myself to sleep most nights and said I would never have another dog because I could not go through it again

Then I looked online at the dogs in kennels needing a home. There was one small white terrier who was not coping very well in kennels so I thought I would visit just t o take him for a walk

Within two weeks he had come home with me and that was 10 years ago and I love him just as much as the others
  • _ben_ben Posts: 5,758
    Forum Member
    Swipe wrote: »
    Get another dog as soon as your collie goes.

It would be far better to get another dog before your collie goes. It's good company for them while you're out having another dog around the place, but don't wait until your dog is too old to tolerate a boisterous young pup jumping all over her.
  • benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    _ben wrote: »
    It would be far better to get another dog before your collie goes. It's good company for them while you're out having another dog around the place, but don't wait until your dog is too old to tolerate a boisterous young pup jumping all over her.

I agree with this. I got a puppy when my old lab was nearing the end. He gave the lab a new lease of life for a time and the lab taught the pup good manners. It made the grieving easier too.
  • TUTV ViewerTUTV Viewer Posts: 6,236
    Forum Member

Great advice.

A friend of mine always has one or two Labs, getting a new one when the eldest reaches 12.

She always feels sad when one passes, but you have to put that behidn you, put your wellies on and get take the younger one for a walk.
  • Roger_PetersRoger_Peters Posts: 1,348
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You just cherish the memories as you would if a close relative / friend had died.
    No difference.
  • HenryGartenHenryGarten Posts: 24,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I feel sure that the best solution is to get another dog. I have seen this work wonders many times.
  • Zeropoint1Zeropoint1 Posts: 10,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thank you everybody for your replies and advice, to be honest some of it had me in tears too.
    I should add I no longer live with her and she's with my retired parents, though I see her every weekend and the first one I talk too while there, and to be honest, the only one I really talk too while there.

I'd love another dog while she's with us, but unfortunately she really doesn't like other dogs, or is at least very selective in the dogs she tolerates.

Indeed her name is Gen and if I could have another dog, it would certainly be a rescue and named Gentu (Gen II and the name of the penguin) going all the way to Gen X (Gen 10 and the generation name too)

EDITED

I honestly don't know if I will 'do something stupid' The point of this thread isn't to get attention or plead for help. I just honestly don't know what will happen in my mind when the time comes. If I'm honest I often 'see' the image of a woman hanging in the bathroom as I approach my own and that's been in the last three places I lived in.
    I should add that my friend hung herself in the bathroom, but I didn't see it, indeed her controlling 'boyfriend' hated other male friends (!)

Anyway thank you to everybody for the cool advice :)
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    deleted - blue cross already mentioned
  • 1fab1fab Posts: 20,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Grieving is a process that has to be experienced when we lose loved ones. Trying to avoid it is pointless and counter-productive - you'll end up feeling worse. No need to grieve in advance, though. Enjoy the living years!
  • Steve9214Steve9214 Posts: 8,405
    Forum Member
    Our house rabbit died in late 2014, he was ancient so was not unexpected.
    We left it while but then got a rescue rabbit, who is a complete handful, chews everything, was not neutered so we had to put up with him spraying until he was "done".
    He also has Pasteurella, a lung disease that is contagious so cannot be with other rabbits.
    If we had not homed him he would certainly have had to be put down.
    He is a complete "character" and despite his bad behaviour, we love him to bits.

I would start looking for a dog that REALLY needs you, as it would not be adopted by anyone looking for an "easy" pet.
    Your local Dogs Trust or other charity, will know of some really difficult dogs that need a loving home, and maybe contacting them before your Gen passes will mean they will also be bale to help you through the tough times, so you and the new dog will both have had tough times and can help each other to more happier times.
  • Shoe LaceShoe Lace Posts: 612
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Almost 3 years go I had to put my Labrador down, who I truly loved more than life itself. I can honestly say that if it hadn't been for my now-husband, I probably wouldn't have survived it all. I get tears in my eyes whenever I think of her (I'm even crying now, writing this post) and I still miss her bitterly.

It is never easy, losing a precious friend, but you do survive it. When I was younger, and my dogs were still young, I was certain I would die when they passed away. Obviously that didn't happen. It won't be easy, but you will find the strength inside of you to grieve and accept the loss.

Don't be afraid or ashamed to grieve - I know many people think that it's "only a pet" and you should "just get over it", but it isn't that simple, and it isn't supposed to be. You must allow yourself the time to go through the grieving process properly, because that is the only way you can start to heal your heart.

Don't be ashamed to talk to a therapist or seek online counseling, two places I can reccommend are samaritans.org and lightning-strike.com.

And I really like the advice 1fab gave - there is no need to grieve in advance! Enjoy the hours, days and weeks and (hopefully) years you still have with your pet, don't waste them by worrying about what will happen when they are gone!

Edited to add: There's a poem, which has comforted me a lot when I have been having a tough time. There's an English version (or even the original?) of it, which I can't find at the moment, but the German version goes as follows:
    Gute Hunde sterben nie – sie bleiben immer gegenwärtig
    Sie wandern neben dir an kühlen Herbsttagen, wenn der Frost über die Felder streift und der Winter näher kommt.
    Ihren Kopf legen sie zärtlich in deine Hand wie in alten Zeiten….sie sind immer bei dir…

Which basically means that your good friend will never leave your side. A sentiment I have carried with me on numerous walks on cold Autumn days, which my dog used to love so much.
  • HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I posted here in the Pets forum when my 'The One' 14 year old dog died around 18 months ago. It surprised me how much comfort I drew from the responses there. When it comes to it, reach out, there will be people there for you and sometimes, total strangers (who have been there, too) are as good if not better than real life friends and family as you can let your real feelings out without them being so upset by it.

I think it is the same for anyone with a much loved, older, pet - you have that horrible anticipatory grief, before it's even happened. It's the price we pay for having them and we all know, from the day we bring that pup home, that 'that' day will come... Knowing makes it no easier, I know.

To have lost a friend in such a shocking way will, without doubt, have left its mark on you. And often one grief or a grief anticipated, brings out an older one. I'd get some counselling and support now, so you are stronger when the time comes, as there are other issues that are at work, here.
  • DinkyDooDinkyDoo Posts: 3,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I agree with this. My mum got another dog shortly after her dog was diagnosed with terminal cancer. She got a 4 year old dog, her first dog perked up for a while after the new one arrived. And I think when first dog was PTS a few weeks ago it really helped mum have another dog there.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7
    Forum Member
    Zeropoint1 wrote: »

I lost my beautiful lab 2 weeks ago today and it was extremely hard the first week. I barely ate or slept but it's been getting better.

I made myself a little memory book of all her funny moments. She was my everything, I would talk to her more than I would my boyfriend or sister. Everyday for 8 years I would come home to see her little face and I think that has been the hardest, coming home to emptyness. I don't think I could get another dog anytime soon