Lost the option of HD or SD recordings

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 101
Forum Member
I have noticed in the past week or so that when I set a timer recording on my Humax, it no longer offers me the the choice of HD or SD versions, when I know both versions are available, for example BBC1 and BBC One HD. It used to offer this all the time. But now never does....

Have I accidentally changed a setting? Has the software changed? Am I doing something wrong?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are you pressing OK to select the item or pressing the REC button?

Only OK gives the options.

Automan.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 101
    Forum Member
    I was pressing OK. I have never pressed the REC button.

Oh, and the other option that was not coming up was to ask whether I wanted to record the rest of the series (in the case of programmes I know are part of a continuing series).

Now the odd thing is, as a result of your reply, I went to check I was really pressing OK and lo and behold I was offered both the choice of HD or SD and whether I wanted to record the series or not!

This problem had manifested itself for the last two evenings, but strangely gone just a few moments ago. I got a bad case of gremlins, methinks?

I will post again if it returns. Thanks Automan, for your quick reply.
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,505
    Forum Member
    Was this when you dislayed the EPG using the EPG button and it was still in the process of receiving the latest information?
    Forum Member
    gomezz wrote: »
    Was this when you dislayed the EPG using the EPG button and it was still in the process of receiving the latest information?

I have programmed my PDA based Universal Remote Control software to have two buttons, one is Guide and the other EPG. The Guide is the normal Humax one which after the software upgrade nearly always shows updating the info message. The other, EPG, is programmed to the key sequence Schedule then Red button (the workaround sequence to avoid the updating).

When this problem reared its head, I tried both ways of setting a recording. Neither worked as normal and didn't offer the choice of HD or SD, but also did not offer the series record option either.

I have been wondering whether the problem is that the data transmitted by the broadcaster had not been fully entered and this stopped the options appearing. I assume that the series record feature is some sort of data marker transmitted for a particular programme in the FreeSat EPG. Therefore maybe I did not have a software or hardware problem, or indeed finger trouble, at all?
  • grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fingerstoo wrote: »
    I have programmed my PDA based Universal Remote Control software to have two buttons, one is Guide and the other EPG. The Guide is the normal Humax one which after the software upgrade nearly always shows updating the info message. The other, EPG, is programmed to the key sequence Schedule then Red button (the workaround sequence to avoid the updating).

When this problem reared its head, I tried both ways of setting a recording. Neither worked as normal and didn't offer the choice of HD or SD, but also did not offer the series record option either.

I have been wondering whether the problem is that the data transmitted by the broadcaster had not been fully entered and this stopped the options appearing. I assume that the series record feature is some sort of data marker transmitted for a particular programme in the FreeSat EPG. Therefore maybe I did not have a software or hardware problem, or indeed finger trouble, at all?

It's down to the broadcaster setting the correct codes not the box.
    Forum Member
    It's down to the broadcaster setting the correct codes not the box.

Thank you Graham. I guessed correctly. It just may be that I was choosing programmes where the broadcaster had either forgot to set the codes, or had not got around to it.
    Forum Member
    However, a further update!

The problem started again. No options for HD/SD and Series recordings, but I also noticed that the EPG on lots of channels was missing, despite waiting for the EPG updates to be downloaded!

I gave in a did my first factory reset. Even that did not work properly immediately but I think I was too quick re-applying the mains and some rubbish data must have been retained. With the factory reset complete and box retuned, I am glad to say all my missing options are back and the EPG is fully populated for the 7 or so days, on all channels.

I will be watching the box very carefully to see if the problem rears its head again. I hope not, otherwise I might have a faulty box.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Automan wrote: »
    Are you pressing OK to select the item or pressing the REC button?

Only OK gives the options.

Automan.

Cool, I didnt know that and being given the option all the time was really bugging me.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So its missing the EPG data on the SD channels and thinks there is no SD recording.

Do a freesat scan and dont save the results. The EPG data should fill and youll get the option again.
    Forum Member
    Flyer 10 wrote: »
    So its missing the EPG data on the SD channels and thinks there is no SD recording.

Do a freesat scan and dont save the results. The EPG data should fill and youll get the option again.

Next time it happens (hope it will not), I will try this. Thanks.

However, the fact that I even had trouble (at first) factory resetting, makes me think the software had somehow got into an unusual state. Also when I set a recording, the EPG went off into updates again but even then failed to fill all the missing EPG stuff. It was also missing some of the HD EPG entries, not just SD.

At least everything seems to be working again.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,179
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you want to record something on say BBC 1 HD from BBC 1 SD and the HD EPG Data for BBC 1 HD has not loaded you won't get the HD record option as the Box doesn't recognize the HD channel exsists as the EPG Data doesn't exsist in the EPG.

Roland
    Forum Member
    Rolandh wrote: »
    If you want to record something on say BBC 1 HD from BBC 1 SD and the HD EPG Data for BBC 1 HD has not loaded you won't get the HD record option as the Box doesn't recognize the HD channel exsists as the EPG Data doesn't exsist in the EPG.

Roland

That might be true, but now that the EPG populates normally and fast, the option is always there - now I have factory reset the Humax once again always shows me the options. I think it is one of the most attractive aspects of the Humax. My son has Philips HD Freeview box which makes silly assumptions, often wrongly, about which version you wish to program, HD or SD version. Until Crystal Palace switch-over he has very poor HD signal and always wants the SD version, as the HD video keeps dropping out although the audio continues. But the box (perhaps not unreasonably, keeps suggesting the HD version).
    Forum Member
    Latest update.

After several factory resets, I finally gave in and as the HDR is under 2 year warranty, bought from John Lewis, Humax has arranged a courier swap with a new one next Monday.

Kept losing EPG and channels... it had to be a fault. It sometimes refused to accept valid postcodes, and other times accepted the postcode, but refused to find any channels. And other times it worked OK. And sometimes it did not even find the cables plugged in. Very frustrating. However, really pleased with Humax's response to replace under warranty with a swap out.

I await the new one with eager anticipation.