The Breaking Bad Effect

13»

Comments

• Roland MouseRoland Mouse Posts: 9,531
    Forum Member
    I'm the only one in the country who missed all of Breaking Bad.

But seeing as it's praised everywhere, I have only just started watching it. I'm on episode 3 of season 1 !!! :D

Haven't read the thread in case it has any spoilers in it.
  • JohnbeeJohnbee Posts: 4,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The shows that people say are great are not universally liked, and also have things wrong with them.

Breaking Bad seems to me to be unique because nearly everyone who watched it, and also those who didn't, say the ending was good.

But Breaking Bad had things wrong with it. (I have only so far watched series 1-4, and will see the later ones.) Just one example will suffice. White's wife asks him whether he has two cell phones and he says no and when she finds out he has two she decides to divorce him. No woman with a two week old baby divorces a man recovering from cancer for the reason that he has a second cell phone and does not tell her so. BB defies belief.

The oddest thing about BB to me is that critics and awards go over the top about it, but the Jesse Pinkman actor does not seem to be rated, but he is everybody's favourite character and makes the show.

The Sopranos did what I think such series should do, in that it did not have an ending, it just had another episode which happened to be the last.

Lost had to have an ending because of the story, and the ending was fine for people who liked the series, but Lost was extremely divisive, precisely because it was designed to be so.

The Wire was a mystery to me because I watched parts of a couple of episodes and thought it very standard clichéd lowbrow fare. No doubt I did not give it a fair chance.
  • ritchritch Posts: 2,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Johnbee wrote: »
    The shows that people say are great are not universally liked, and also have things wrong with them.

Breaking Bad seems to me to be unique because nearly everyone who watched it, and also those who didn't, say the ending was good.

But Breaking Bad had things wrong with it. (I have only so far watched series 1-4, and will see the later ones.) Just one example will suffice. White's wife asks him whether he has two cell phones and he says no and when she finds out he has two she decides to divorce him. No woman with a two week old baby divorces a man recovering from cancer for the reason that he has a second cell phone and does not tell her so. BB defies belief.

Theres more to it than that, this is the point that Skylar realises Walt it a total liar. In typical BB fashion it links to other things Walt did and she realises that he has lied about so much. So she has lost total trust in him at this point. Its pretty plausible when you think about it, think about what that two phone lie links to, pretty much everything Walt and his disappearing act, she knows its all lies.