Options

Susanna Reid

Comments

• Options
    Goblin QueenGoblin Queen Posts: 633
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just to be clear about my beef with the Carol Thatcher situation - I find racist comments abhorrent and will never defend anyone who makes them but at the same time, I thought the way the BBC sacked her on the spot was terrible in it's own way. Why not a warning first?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    boksbox wrote: »
    If you can't stand your arguments up, don't make them.

It's about knowing when to quit because things like this just go around and around in circles. I'm not here to argue, I'm here to state my opinions. If people want to disagree I'm okay with that.
  • Options
    tawnytawny Posts: 1,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I will never watch it - can't stand |Susannah Reid. The presenters on BBc are much better especially Bill & Louise
  • Options
    oathyoathy Posts: 32,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another expensive mistake.
    I don't think the four presenter format is going to suit her style she looked totally out of her depth and deeply uneasy. Even when the Camera wasn't on her she was moving around in the chair like mad and seemed at times not fully seated It looked like she had piles.
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just to be clear about my beef with the Carol Thatcher situation - I find racist comments abhorrent and will never defend anyone who makes them but at the same time, I thought the way the BBC sacked her on the spot was terrible in it's own way. Why not a warning first?

Because I'd say that it was less about whether she offended the BBC themselves by what she said. Because you can apologise for offending somebody. But more about the fact that if she holds those views at all then they won't want to work with her.

Anyway, I don't think it was the case that she was hired like the main regular presenter of a TV show, and then sacked. More that she was hired on a contractual basis where she did one or two filler pieces for the show, and they just didn't feel like they wanted to offer her further contracts.
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    oathy wrote: »
    I don't think the four presenter format is going to suit her style she looked totally out of her depth and deeply uneasy. Even when the Camera wasn't on her she was moving around in the chair like mad and seemed at times not fully seated It looked like she had piles.

I would have thought that history would have taught them a lesson here.
    In the past when breakfast shows have launched with a 'team' of presenters and have promoted themselves on the basis of having this format, just about all of them have failed haven't they?
    RI:SE on Channel 4 is one of the more recent examples I can think of.
  • Options
    Susie_WilcoxSusie_Wilcox Posts: 1,014
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yawn at YOUR post.

Not going to get into it with you but have you ever seen an episode of Question Time? If that one programme alone doesn't convince anyone of a left wing bias (to the point of extremism, I'd say) then I don't know what to say.

See also incidents like the One Show firing Carol Thatcher over one off hand comment that wasn't even made on the air.

I thought that was a pathetic and pointless action on the BBC's part....she was snitched on by Jo Brand I understand.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I watched as much of Good Morning Britain as I could bear this morning and crumbs on a cracker, Susanna really is totally stuck on herself isn't she? Dreadful presenter, she comes across as cold as the new set.

I think I'll be looking for a radio alternative in the morning. Breakfast TV has never been so dire.
  • Options
    SloopySloopy Posts: 65,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not really sure why Susanna has been so highly coveted and hyped.

She's probably nice enough, but not a spectacular presenter. She looked uncomfortable on this show; totally unrelaxed and kind of hunched in her seat.

There have been many disasters in trying to re-invent the early morning breakfast show. Daybreak was never any good. GMTV was a steady ship by comparison.
  • Options
    Jo MarchJo March Posts: 9,256
    Forum Member
    oathy wrote: »
    ..:D..:D..:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,510
    Forum Member
    Look, as much as I don't like some of these presenters I would never call them bimbos and I think anyone who does is bang out of order and sexist to boot. It's possible to be critical of someone without resorting to backwards name calling like that.

Im entitled to my opinion as much as you, Im sure you've heard worse
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Im entitled to my opinion as much as you, Im sure you've heard worse

You need to educate yourself on gendered insults and why people might not like words like "bimbo" being used as slurs.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You need to educate yourself on gendered insults and why people might not like words like "bimbo" being used as slurs.

My education cost more than your mortgage, was my comment directed to anyone on this forum... No. Grow up
  • Options
    xxtimboxxtimbo Posts: 8,877
    Forum Member
    GUTTED... I was there at 5.55.. waiting, DVD recorder fired up and ready ...
    There was a review of
    the days programmes running, I thought the show would start any second...
    It got to 6.04 and nothing happened, somehow I was on the wrong
    channel itv plus 1 or something, so I missed the historic opening of the show... and the opening titles etc.

Do we really need blokes on the show ? could nt they be replaced
    by Kate G and Vorders ?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So the programme has lost viewers as she is behind a desk, not showing her legs, so the only talent she has it seems it flashing her knickers. What a sad state, she will be a 5 min wonder, like all the other no talent presenters that ITV pinch.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Look, as much as I don't like some of these presenters I would never call them bimbos and I think anyone who does is bang out of order and sexist to boot. It's possible to be critical of someone without resorting to backwards name calling like that.

So flashing her knickers and legs and flirting has nothing to do with why she got the ITV job, if she had been fat, middle aged, and really intelligent, she never had got the job, so come on who more sexist Ms Reid and ITV for using this so called talent, or the people on here.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    myscimitar wrote: »
    So flashing her knickers and legs and flirting has nothing to do with why she got the ITV job, if she had been fat, middle aged, and really intelligent, she never had got the job, so come on who more sexist Ms Reid and ITV for using this so called talent, or the people on here.

Gendered insults are sexist. There is no justifying them.
  • Options
    FooxFoox Posts: 1,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    myscimitar wrote: »

I agree i find her very fake and full of herself, her outrageous flirting was cringeworthy on the bbc she is someone who believes her own hype and its gone straight to her head.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Foox wrote: »
    I agree i find her very fake and full of herself, her outrageous flirting was cringeworthy on the bbc she is someone who believes her own hype and its gone straight to her head.

I agree with sentiments that she's seriously full of herself and fake, but it's easy enough to critcise her without bringing slurs like bimbo into it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Gendered insults are sexist. There is no justifying them.

Am I getting called sexist now? :confused:#
  • Options
    JoshuaRyJoshuaRy Posts: 389
    Forum Member
    I stumbled upon a video on YouTube of Susanna presenting Breakfast from 2005, and its so, so odd. She's got a business-type hair cut, slick jacket and blouse, very BBC.

It's interesting to see how much shes changed, post Strictly some would say. The long flowing hair, fake tan... and seeing that video of her years ago made me think whether shes actually cringing at some segments of GMB, like Andi Peter's competition for instance. As somebody said, she seemed a little awkward at some points on Monday when the other presenters were having a laugh.
    But watching this morning, she seems a lot more settled, and I do quite like her with Ben.

She was also on Paul O'Grady's show tonight, and again it struck me how much shes changed since the BBC days. But she came across well actually, and we got to 'know her' a little better - hopefully it'll make some viewers tune into GMB.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Am I getting called sexist now? :confused:#

No, but you and anyone else who can't understand why some of us dislike gendered insults need to educate yourselves about it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JoshuaRy wrote: »

It's interesting to see how much shes changed, post Strictly some would say.

It seems like so many people, but especially women, go on Strictly and then get this MASSIVE ego and become all about the fame and glamour of showbiz rather than whatever it is they actually do for a living. I find it sad and pathetic, especially in the case of journalists who just didn't used to seem so self-absorbed, smug and fake. It's pretty clear Susanna cares more about being the queen bee of the media than she does about the news she delivers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    No, but you and anyone else who can't understand why some of us dislike gendered insults need to educate yourselves about it.

Judging by most of your posts you need to learn manners
  • Options
    tawnytawny Posts: 1,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I prefer BBC Breakfast, Bill Turnbull, Charlie Stayt and Louise Minchin being my favourites. Don't think Susanna is missed really, big mistake going to itv.

My thoughts exactly. Will never watch itv - too many silly competitions & ads - don't like the woman either