Options

Can you fly all the way to Australia without stopping?

Comments

• Options
    mimi dlcmimi dlc Posts: 13,423
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jackrew's posts might be a wind-up but some of the replies on here have made me howl with laughter!

My jaw and sides are quite sore with laughing!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Baffrobes wrote: »
    Glue your arse cheeks together and fly naked!

There are some really great replies on this thread that have made me smile after a crap day, but the above one really gave me a belly laugh :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jackrew wrote: »
    Am going to Australia soon but really dont want to stopover anywhere, mainly because I dont trust these Eastern countries and fear someone will plant drugs on me. I dont want to risk anything happening to me and cannot have a stop over, is this allowed and what is the cheapest way? Also is Ammerica an option ?

It's not possible. They haven't yet made the airliner that can fly non-stop 12,000 miles.

I've been to Dubai, and Singapore, and they are both nice places to visit. Last time I was there, I didn't notice any strange people waiting to stitch up the first British citizen to step off the plane .....

Don't know what you're scared about :confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 292
    Forum Member
    Am going to Australia soon but really dont want to stopover anywhere,

The only way you can fly the c18,000km flight with no stopover is if you charter an empty 747-400 or 777-200LR. Both can get from London to Sydney non-stop without refuelling.

If you don't have enough spare cash I'm afraid you will have to stop over. Get you bags wrapped in plastic at the airport, and then you can see if anyone has tampered with them.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jrhilton wrote: »
    The only way you can fly the c18,000km flight with no stopover is if you charter an empty 747-400 or 777-200LR. Both can get from London to Sydney non-stop without refuelling.

If you don't have enough spare cash I'm afraid you will have to stop over. Get you bags wrapped in plastic at the airport, and then you can see if anyone has tampered with them.

Alternatively (to chartering an empty 747), the OP could dig a tunnel straight through the earth's core, take a slight detour before appearing in the Pacific ocean, and emerge right underneath Melbourne? Or maybe talk to the American miliary, and see if he can right shotgun in a Lockhead Martin SR-71 Blackbird with in-flight refuelling and get there before bedtime? :D

http://www.lockheedmartin.com/aboutus/history/SR71Blackbird.html

In 1971 an Air Force crew demonstrated the SR-71's extended supersonic capabilities on a non-stop, 15,000-mile (24,140 km) flight -- the equivalent of a non-stop trip from San Francisco to Paris and back -- in 10-1/2 hours. Slowing to subsonic speeds for periodic aerial refueling, the Blackbird still averaged nearly 1,500 mph. For this feat the crew was awarded the 1971 Mackay trophy for "most meritorious flight of the year" and the 1972 Harmon International Trophy for the "most outstanding international achievement in the art/science of aeronautics."
  • Options
    RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The stopover in HK used to be fantastic. I spent 3 days there once.
    The landing at the old airport was EXACTLY like this.

Well, ours flew down the High St., past apartments.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=&q=hong+kong+landing&sourceid=navclient-ff&rlz=1B3GGGL_enGB378GB378&ie=UTF-8&aq=0&oq=hong+kong+landi
  • Options
    RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,262
    Forum Member
    Don't be foolish OP. Your thread question is like asking "Can you drive all the way to Scotland without stopping for petrol". :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 34
    Forum Member
    What is there to do at HKG? I've got a 4 hour stopover there coming up, last time I was there it was pretty boring, didn't seem like much to do. Any advice on what to do? (I'm in T1 I think)

4 hrs is a long time to wait in the airport, but the last time I was there was in late 2008 and my guess is that they have developed T2 by now.

http://www.hongkongairport.com/eng/shopping/entertainment/t2/entertainment.html

What I usually do to pass time is.. surf using their free wifi and.. eat :D

Best to go landside for the cheaper prices and choice:

http://www.hongkongairport.com/eng/shopping/dining/t1/desse/huil.html

I love this place, the desserts are awesome.

If you don't want to go landside, then try these places:

http://www.hongkongairport.com/eng/shopping/dining/t1/fastf/ajis.html
    http://www.hongkongairport.com/eng/shopping/dining/t1/fastf/pope.html
    http://www.hongkongairport.com/eng/shopping/dining/t1/fastf/cafe.html

Apologies for the fast food selection, I love my fast food :o
  • Options
    Nesta RobbinsNesta Robbins Posts: 30,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Probably quite nice to give your legs a stretch for an hour or so. At Singapore you can even have a quick shower at the airport.
  • Options
    whackyracerwhackyracer Posts: 15,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes but will the luggae be taken off the plane and handled in singapoure at all?

Would help if we knew where singapoure was.....
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Easy. Drilling equipment. Bury through the core of the Earth, and you'll get there in no time. It may be a bit hot at times, and it's probably best to avoid The Silurians, but other than that, it's a breeze.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,306
    Forum Member
    jrhilton wrote: »

where do you get the plastic from?
  • Options
    mimi dlcmimi dlc Posts: 13,423
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    where do you get the plastic from?

A lot of airports offer the service to wrap your case in yards and yards of clingfilm. Not tamper proof, but tamper evident.

Keeps your socks fresh as well!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 195
    Forum Member
    You see I dont want to stay in any of these countries because I dont trust them. I dont mind flying over them but I do not wish to touch down there.

Why would you stay? It is not possible to fly all the way on a commercial airline as they cannot carry enough fuel. Flights to Australia mostly stop for a few hours just to refuel then you get back on the plane. You don't even leave the airport therefore you don't even enter the country.

Something is a bit off here. You don't "trust" an entire country or region? I smell captain bulls**t making another appearance on DS. Why on earth would you think someone is gonig to plant drugs on you? It's more likely that you don't want to stop in these countries for another reason...I wonder what it is...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Indeed. I stopped in Hong Kong for 3 days on my way to Sydney last year, and it's a wonderful place. The people are friendly and polite, the sights are magnificent, and it's one of the most exciting countries I've ever visited.

To be honest OP, you're really missing out if you dismiss the entire Far East as a 'weird' place and think that all the locals will be wanting to plant drugs on you. It's also incredibly insulting to the locals who were, without exception, unfailingly polite and helpful when I was out there.
  • Options
    The GeekThe Geek Posts: 2,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OP sounds like hes on drugs to me.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,418
    Forum Member
    I saw luggage being wrapped in clingfilm and placed in to large metal containers which were then loaded on to the plane at Heathrow. If you get both flights with the same airline, they'll usually forward your luggage on to the next flight without having to collect and check it in again. Everyone taking the same journey has their luggage placed in the same container.

Hong Kong airport is great, there are smoking areas, free internet, a Burger King, plenty of shops. I was stuck there for 6 hours last year, I rode the travelators for a good hour :o

If you go via the US you'll most likely have to collect and check your luggage in again, which means going through full security checks again - which takes ages. I'd pick an asian country for a short stopover any day.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Post not showing
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Southak wrote: »
    Why would you stay? It is not possible to fly all the way on a commercial airline as they cannot carry enough fuel. Flights to Australia mostly stop for a few hours just to refuel then you get back on the plane. You don't even leave the airport therefore you don't even enter the country.

Something is a bit off here. You don't "trust" an entire country or region? I smell captain bulls**t making another appearance on DS. Why on earth would you think someone is gonig to plant drugs on you? It's more likely that you don't want to stop in these countries for another reason...I wonder what it is...

it's not even that, it's just someone with too much time on their hands and not a lot to fill it with, hence one wind up thread after the other. I doubt he/she rarely sets foot outside their front door.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't Australia have an anti-mullet law?
  • Options
    ScottishWoodyScottishWoody Posts: 23,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MJ_lives wrote: »
    Don't be foolish OP. Your thread question is like asking "Can you drive all the way to Scotland without stopping for petrol". :p

Depends where you live I suppose! London? Probably not, Newcastle, easily!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,279
    Forum Member
    The next time a Funny Threads On DS thread comes up, I'm gonna link to this one :D
  • Options
    flyingvflyingv Posts: 4,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Geek wrote: »
    OP sounds like hes on drugs to me.
    He must be if he's planning on going to Australia.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,306
    Forum Member
    Right I'm gonna do it take the risk and go to HK in November for a few days on the way to OZ!!

I know I am mad but If I dont go I will miss out! xx