DWTS Season 17 Cast Rumours

13»

Comments

• AerickAerick Posts: 1,528
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Everytime I think DWTS wont get a cast together, they always seem to do so. I read somewhere that celebs who aren't 'right now' in the public eye, sort of need to do these things to keep them current. Case in point with Leah Remini. Hasn't been on a popular sitcom in years except for the recent one that didn't quite take off last season, plus she was released from "The Talk" a few seasons ago as well. Noit to mention her recent not so great publicity concerning the Scientology group. So I think she sort of needs this to keep herself in the public eye. Snooki too I imagine. Elizabeth as well. Okay all of them lol.

As some celeb remakred a few years ago when asked if she would ever consider doing DWTS, she remarked "I have a job".

Now don't get me wrong, I love Valerie Harper, she is an American tv treasure going back to the early 70s, but I have mixed views on her participation. Yes, I think it is great in some way and good for her, but this is, for the most part, a competition, and she is 74 years old (still active in spite of her diagnosis I realize). I was even wondering a few weeks ago where she was and pretty much thought she was incapacitated at the time as there was no news from her lately. But now there is already talk of "wouldn't it be great if America voted her through to the finale" and I just have a feeling ABC is going to turn this into a 'standing ovation fest' and an overly emotional final journey. Lot s of tears and praises. I dunno, I feel bad for saying that, but I also wonder how the pubic is supposed to feel in voting her off 2nd or 3rd week? It wont happen.
  • fridgesoupfridgesoup Posts: 17,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi Aerick, nice to hear from you :)

I think both DwtS and Strictly offer most to the 'more or less retired', the 'not quite made it yet' and the 'needs a career boost' (to put it kindly ;)). Busy 'A' listers are all, well, busy :p. I bet even a few - who would love to do it for the experience - are put off because they think it gives the impression they're desperate!

We always hope for big stars, but on DwtS I rarely know who any of the slebs are and on Strictly the list usually makes me :rolleyes: :rolleyes:. As it happens, my favourite contestants of all time (Alesha and Kara) were unknowns to me and yet I loved them on the show :). I think all I really ask is that they've done something of merit to warrant the label of celebrity to get them to the starting line, and after that what happens during their run is all that matters.

I can't help but agree with all you say about Valerie. I had to look her up, but then realised I used to watch her shows when I was a child so it was interesting to read about her recent trials and tribulations. Without wishing her anything but good luck, I really don't want the show to be overtaken by a schmaltzy 'inspirational' sentimentality fest, but I think that's what we'll get. :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just reading back, I want to be clear about Valerie. It's how I fear the show will treat (exploit? :o) her story, not her participation, that worries me.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,123
    Forum Member
    fridgesoup wrote: »
    Hi Aerick, nice to hear from you :)

I think both DwtS and Strictly offer most to the 'more or less retired', the 'not quite made it yet' and the 'needs a career boost' (to put it kindly ;)). Busy 'A' listers are all, well, busy :p. I bet even a few - who would love to do it for the experience - are put off because they think it gives the impression they're desperate!

We always hope for big stars, but on DwtS I rarely know who any of the slebs are and on Strictly the list usually makes me :rolleyes: :rolleyes:. As it happens, my favourite contestants of all time (Alesha and Kara) were unknowns to me and yet I loved them on the show :). I think all I really ask is that they've done something of merit to warrant the label of celebrity to get them to the starting line, and after that what happens during their run is all that matters.

I can't help but agree with all you say about Valerie. I had to look her up, but then realised I used to watch her shows when I was a child so it was interesting to read about her recent trials and tribulations. Without wishing her anything but good luck, I really don't want the show to be overtaken by a schmaltzy 'inspirational' sentimentality fest, but I think that's what we'll get. :(

BIB Lol soupy that about sums it up.

I remember watching Valerie as a child, with fond memories too I have some reservations how her journey is going to be played out. Think they will milk her situation for all it's worth, suppose she knows what she is letting herself in for, it seems to be the name of the game, they are usually looking for 'dramarama'. Hopefully Valerie's story will be shown as I would hope in an inspirational way, she is a plucky lady.
    Forum Member
    A new rumour that an additional female celeb will be joining the cast or one of the male pros will not be dancing this season.

http://www.examiner.com/article/dwts-season-17-spoilers-list-of-female-celebrities-some-couples-leaked?cid=rss
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cast

Bill Nye with Tyne (!!!!)
    Brant Daugherty with Peta
    Corbin Bleu with Karina
    Keyshawn Johnson with Sharna
    Bill Engvall with Emma
    Jack Osborne with Cheryl
    Amber Riley with Derek
    Elizabeth Berkley with Val
    Snooki with Sasha
    Valerie Harper with Tris
    Christina Milian with Mark
    Leah Remini with Tony

Gutted for Gleb :cry::cry: although I think he's still in the troupe. Think he would have been great with Elizabeth :( ... and why Tony??? :( and no Ashley.
  • edy10edy10 Posts: 18,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Early favorite Corin and Karina : They are just so cute and have the BEST chemistry so far; Omg they were just so sweet and enthusiastic today.
    I can find myself rooting for most of the men...They are all likeable.

I like Snooki but I cant stand Sasha.
    Mark my favourite male pro is with Christina HOORAY :):)
    Derek and Amber will do very well.
    I can find myself liking Leah; She didnt even seem to be bothered today lol

Overall this is a very good cast, the best cast they had in years.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    and no Ashley.

I mean Lindsay. Doh! (have strictly on the brain :o)
  • Caramel CrunchCaramel Crunch Posts: 4,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cast

Bill Nye with Tyne (!!!!)
    Corbin Bleu with Karina
    Bill Engvall with Emma
    Jack Osborne with Cheryl
    Amber Riley with Derek
    Snooki with Sasha
    Valerie Harper with Tris
    Leah Remini with Tony

Gutted for Gleb :cry::cry: although I think he's still in the troupe. Think he would have been great with Elizabeth :( ... and why Tony??? :( and no Ashley.

Thanks for posting the list :D

I'm not looking forward to watching Jack Osbourne.
    Forum Member
    Thanks for posting the list :D

I'm not looking forward to watching Jack Osbourne.

Hi all thanks for the update, can't say I know diddly squat about at least half the celebs, so haven't got an opinion on who's good and who's a dud;) Looking forward to seeing the pairings, they seem a bit more athletic looking than some of our SCD celebs.

Poor Lindsay and Gleb would have liked to have given them a fair go and at least seen them dance another season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weCHSDjBkgM
  • Caramel CrunchCaramel Crunch Posts: 4,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi all thanks for the update, can't say I know diddly squat about at least half the celebs, so haven't got an opinion on who's good and who's a dud;) Looking forward to seeing the pairings, they seem a bit more athletic looking than some of our SCD celebs.

Poor Lindsay and Gleb would have liked to have given them a fair go and at least seen them dance another season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weCHSDjBkgM

Snap :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 123
    Forum Member
    Starting to hear the dances for the first week (will ya'll help me fill in?) I'm trying to watch more interviews to see where we are at. Looks like there will be 3 dance styles the first week foxtrot, cha cha or contemporary.

Bill Nye with Tyne
    Corbin Bleu with Karina---CONTEMPORARY
    Bill Engvall with Emma
    Jack Osborne with Cheryl---FOXTROT
    Amber Riley with Derek---CHA CHA
    Snooki with Sasha
    Valerie Harper with Tristan
    Leah Remini with Tony
  • ElsaElsa Posts: 3,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Found these on another board:

Christina/Mark: Contemporary
    Jack/Cheryl: Foxtrot
    Keyshawn/Sharna: Cha Cha
    Corbin/Karina: Contemporary
    Amber/Derek: Cha Cha
    Brant/Peta: Cha Cha
    Snooki/Sasha: Cha Cha

And Valerie mentioned in an interview they were working on Foxtrot and Cha Cha - I would bet she and Tristan have Foxtrot in Week 1.

And Emma mentioned in an interview telling her partner Bill to keep looking to the left - so I'm thinking Foxtrot for them as well.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 123
    Forum Member
    Elsa wrote: »
    Found these on another board:

Christina/Mark: Contemporary
    Jack/Cheryl: Foxtrot
    Keyshawn/Sharna: Cha Cha
    Corbin/Karina: Contemporary
    Amber/Derek: Cha Cha
    Brant/Peta: Cha Cha
    Snooki/Sasha: Cha Cha

And Valerie mentioned in an interview they were working on Foxtrot and Cha Cha - I would bet she and Tristan have Foxtrot in Week 1.

And Emma mentioned in an interview telling her partner Bill to keep looking to the left - so I'm thinking Foxtrot for them as well.

Cool thanks for the updates....I need to kill time and play guessing games until the premiere!

Totally going to guess on the rest:

I think Bill Nye will get foxtrot--seems like a good first dance for him. He seems like the suit and tie kind of guy. I'm a little worried how he'll fair with the latin dances & I can't even IMAGINE him doing a contemporary routine :eek:

Tony & Leah- cha-cha--seems fun and spunky to fit her personality.

Val & Elizabeth- contemporary --process of elimination.

I'm just so glad this board exists...my friends do not understand (nor want) to talk about the show in as much detail as I do. I feel at home here :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Got rumors (parentheses) or confirmation from the couple about everybody's first dance:

Valerie and Tristan (Foxtrot)
    Elizabeth and Val (Cha Cha)
    Bill E. and Emma - Foxtrot
    Bill N. and Tyne (Cha Cha)
    Leah and Tony (Foxtrot)
    Brant and Peta - Cha Cha
    Keyshawn and Sharna - Cha Cha
    Snooki and Sasha - Cha Cha
    Amber and Derek - Cha Cha
    Christina and Mark - Contemporary
    Corbin and Karina - Contemporary
    Jack and Cheryl - Foxtrot

Nothing confirmed directly by Valerie/Tristan, Bill N/Tyne, Leah/Tony, or Elizabeth/Val - except Valerie saying in an interview that they'd been working on Foxtrot and Cha Cha. The dances were unevenly distributed on the first show last season as well, so it doesn't have to be 4/4/4.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oops looks like from these rehearsal pictures that Elizabeth and Val have Contemporary and not Cha Cha:

http://www.buddytv.com/slideshows/dancing-with-the-stars/dancing-with-the-stars-rehearsal-photos-elizabeth-berkley-and-val-chmerkovskiy-359.aspx
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi Elsa - thanks for the info on the dances :).

There is a new thread for discussion of all things Season 17 here :)