Options

The Big Holby City Thread (Part 4)

Comments

• Options
    Safi74Safi74 Posts: 5,580
    Forum Member
    Yep, have to agree that it wasn't as bad as I feared it might be. I was pretty sure Jac would give Emma to Jonny but I was convinced this was his last episode and he was just going to swan off smugly with her. Not only did that not happen but Jonny did redeem himself quite a bit. He seems to have finally realised that it was his grief over Bonnie that set this whole ugly mess in action and hopefully now realises that the venom he has been dripping into Jac's ear (along with the mother from hell Paula) has done real damage to Jac, hence her decision.

But all is not lost. I was very reassured by his "WE will get mummy back Emma" at the end. If he starts to treat Jac like a normal human being on her return she might eventually see sense and agree to co-parent Emma with him. It's clear she absolutely adores her daughter.

Like another poster Elliot annoyed me by distracting Jac about Paula IN THE MIDDLE OF HEART SURGERY!! Mo did it too, earlier. WTF???? Way to kill patients on the operation table, people :D:D

And I liked Sacha and Essie - they fit together right, so much better suited than he ever was with Chrissie. Why do I get the feeling it will end tragically? :( And I liked his little chat with Jac but really he should have been around for her a bit more than he was imo.

And I love, love, love the idea of Jac in Sweden with Hanssen and Malik. Maybe Michael could go there too when he is finished - that is one spin off show I would LOVE to see!! :cool:

Oh so would I! I really miss Hanssen and 'The Malik'! Also, anything that keeps Spence on our screens is great IMO!
  • Options
    george.millmangeorge.millman Posts: 8,628
    Forum Member
    Actually, one flaw I would point out with that episode is that Zosia wasn't in it. I think the Sacha/Essie storyline really could have done with her being around, so we could see exactly what her position is. She was just as involved in the treatment of Essie's grandfather as Sacha was, and she would possibly be quite willing to give interviews to the newspapers. I'd really like to know what her position is.
  • Options
    kwynne42kwynne42 Posts: 75,337
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Actually, one flaw I would point out with that episode is that Zosia wasn't in it. I think the Sacha/Essie storyline really could have done with her being around, so we could see exactly what her position is. She was just as involved in the treatment of Essie's grandfather as Sacha was, and she would possibly be quite willing to give interviews to the newspapers. I'd really like to know what her position is.

Given how much trouble she got in over Essie's grandfather's case I would have thought she would have avoided getting involved at all.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 235
    Forum Member
    I was really sad to see Jac hand Emma over to Johnny. I've never been a fan of his and feel his bitterness after Bonnie's death was a sign of his own guilt. I don't believe he ever really loved Bonnie, she came back into his life at an opportune time, he got carried away and I am convinced he simply wanted to make Jac jealous and beg him to come back to her. Even on the day of the wedding he was trying to get her to say she still loved him. Obviously she didn't, they married and Bonnie got killed. I think deep down Johnny realised if he hadn't used her she would still be alive but he can't take that so has to turn it all onto Jac.

Jac has her issues but with the upbringing she has had what dies anyone expect. Johnny whining on "but it's your mother Jac" really annoyed me, couldn't he see how hard it has been for her. To take that money from her to fight her own daughter, Johnny is a true slimeball in my opinion. He might be lucky with a regular loving family but surely being a nurse he has seen enough of life to know that's really not the case for everyone.

I want Jac to come back fighting and make more sensible arrangements for Emma, she needs both of them fully in her life to have a chance.
  • Options
    Gwaed WaedlydGwaed Waedlyd Posts: 5,401
    Forum Member
    Great episode last night
  • Options
    kitkat1971kitkat1971 Posts: 39,257
    Forum Member
    Meanaunty wrote: »
    I was really sad to see Jac hand Emma over to Johnny. I've never been a fan of his and feel his bitterness after Bonnie's death was a sign of his own guilt. I don't believe he ever really loved Bonnie, she came back into his life at an opportune time, he got carried away and I am convinced he simply wanted to make Jac jealous and beg him to come back to her. Even on the day of the wedding he was trying to get her to say she still loved him. Obviously she didn't, they married and Bonnie got killed. I think deep down Johnny realised if he hadn't used her she would still be alive but he can't take that so has to turn it all onto Jac.

Jac has her issues but with the upbringing she has had what dies anyone expect. Johnny whining on "but it's your mother Jac" really annoyed me, couldn't he see how hard it has been for her. To take that money from her to fight her own daughter, Johnny is a true slimeball in my opinion. He might be lucky with a regular loving family but surely being a nurse he has seen enough of life to know that's really not the case for everyone.

I want Jac to come back fighting and make more sensible arrangements for Emma, she needs both of them fully in her life to have a chance.

I completely agree - there is a lot of submerged guilt over Bonnie and he's turned it on Jac but I think he might be beginning to realise that. I certainly hope so and that he feels guilty for what his actions have now caused - losing Emma her mother - at least for a while. It'd be good if somebody pointed this out to him but I bet nobody will - they're still too aware of his grief.

He was daft comparing not being able to say goodbye to Bonnie with Jac and Paula. He and Bonnie had a good, caring relationship - she def loved him even if he didn't feel as strongly. Paula has never done anything but hurt Jac - she shows no love at all and apparently never has. All she did at the end was deliver a killer blow, that it was Jac's fault that Paula couldn't love her and she'd muck it up with Emma as well - something Jonny confirmed to her. What bugs me is that arguably Jac pushed Jonny away when she found out she had endometriosis and might not be able to have children - something she knew Jonny wanted. So it was almost an act of love, saving him having to choose between her and children someday. But then they've never had that conversation - it is just accepted that the breakup was entirely down to her being 'unable' to love even though she'd told him she did and was willing to live with him.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 681
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was very in character for Paula to tell Jac that she abadoned her because she was impossible to love, and can't love in return - unlike her sister. And Jac tried so hard to stay away, knowing she'd try and hurt her, and in the end Elliott and Johnny forced that on her. It is such a shame that they couldn't respect her wishes.

I found Paula's behaviour very realistic. Manipulative, selfish people are all the same - never able to accept blame for the awful wreckage they make of their childrens' lives.

Loving the idea of Hansen building The A Team in Stockholm. I wonder if Malick has any fear of flying...maybe Abra could join too. Michael is a natural for The Face, and Jac is so going to be Hannibal. I should be at work.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It was very noticeable that right up till the end Paula only showed her 'true' self to Jac when nobody else was around. To others she just seemed weak, caring, wanting nothing more than to have Jac near so it appeared Jhac was the horrible one. Even that she loves Jasmine too much to put her through watching her die but was happy for Jac to witness it. But, again, none of them heard any of that stuff - they probably don't even know there is another daughter that wasn't abandoned.
  • Options
    Collins1965Collins1965 Posts: 13,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really think Elliot should have taken Jonny to one side and given him a good talking to long ago. Even if he was unaware of the nuances in the Jac/Paula relationship he witnessed the entire Jac/Joseph relationship and so is well aware that Jac is capable of loving someone. Joseph really loved her and she loved him too. There was also all the unprofessional behaviour that Jonny exhibited on Darwin - bringing their personal business to work; berating her (usually wrongly) in front of friends and colleagues; second guessing her in her professional role not to mention him deliberately urging a patient to sue her. He was a liability on the ward and Elliot owed it to his patients to do something about him.

I'm hoping this is the start of Jonny seeing the light and I hope he suffers as he realises the harm that he has done - to Jac, Emma, Elliot and Mo.

I fully expect Jac to come back in cold hard b*tch mode and that will continue for a while I'd say as she protects herself from the pain of losing Emma (albeit by her own hand).

If Elliot is really unwell she may well take over as clinical lead on Darwin so it should be interesting to watch that. I think Darwin needs some new blood (I don't count Adele) to shake things up. They need a new F1, F2 and/or CT1 surely.
  • Options
    Collins1965Collins1965 Posts: 13,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kitkat1971 wrote: »
    It was very noticeable that right up till the end Paula only showed her 'true' self to Jac when nobody else was around. To others she just seemed weak, caring, wanting nothing more than to have Jac near so it appeared Jhac was the horrible one. Even that she loves Jasmine too much to put her through watching her die but was happy for Jac to witness it. But, again, none of them heard any of that stuff - they probably don't even know there is another daughter that wasn't abandoned.

This is very true, she was clever never to berate Jac or make snide comments to her if there was anyone else around. She was well able to play the weak vulnerable dying woman when she had an audience, only Jac saw the hard as nails uncaring manipulative b*tch. I wish Michael had been there for some balance as he alone was well aware of what she was really like.
  • Options
    wiggles247wiggles247 Posts: 48,088
    Forum Member
    peaches41 wrote: »
    Yes! And in Swedish with subtitles lol! Like watching one of those brilliant Scandinavian dramas. Can just imagine it....[/QUOTE}

I launched (after some inspiration from, I think, kitkat) a Twitter campaign for 'Miss Naylor Investigates' (or it's Swedish translation - which I did find out but can't remember) to hit our screens after her last Swedish sojourn!!!!

Also apparently, even though it presumably lost a lot of viewers to the football, Holby topped the soap ratings last night- although to be fair the competition wasn't particularly strong:

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/soaps/news/a579163/holby-city-court-drama-tops-soap-ratings-on-thursday-with-23m.html#~oHKui4TirJNjbo
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yep, I came up with the spin off idea for "Miss Naylor Investigates" kind of a trendier version of Murder She Wrote - different city each episode. Along with my Sunday evening spin off about the Handsome Ex Heart Surgeon Arisocratic GP juggling waxky patients with his young son and visiting relatives in the scenic Lake District I feel it could be a winner!

Wasn't HC the only Soap on last night? I'm sure there was no Emmerdale, Corrie or EE so Hollyoaks was the only competition.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Something I noticed in last night's episode - Essie compared Sacha's romance history to Ric's. As far as I know, she's never met Ric, as he hasn't been there since before she worked at the hospital. Will it turn out that they have worked together in the past or something (possibly when he and Connie briefly left after Archie-gate)? Or has she just heard about his reputation?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Did she? I thought she compared him to Joan Collins' divorce rate. Perhaps I missed a second reference.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Also, Essie could well know Ric. They stated in her first episode that she was a Bank Nurse so had worked at the Hospital before - Sacha recognised her but couldn't place her.
  • Options
    susanne fansusanne fan Posts: 1,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Something I noticed in last night's episode - Essie compared Sacha's romance history to Ric's. As far as I know, she's never met Ric, as he hasn't been there since before she worked at the hospital. Will it turn out that they have worked together in the past or something (possibly when he and Connie briefly left after Archie-gate)? Or has she just heard about his reputation?

Ric Griffin is obviously just known everywhere :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Did she? I thought she compared him to Joan Collins' divorce rate. Perhaps I missed a second reference.

She mentioned Joan Collins, but I'm sure she mentioned Griffin as well. In a different scene, I think. I believe it was when they were doing the cooking, just before Sacha realised they didn't have Worcestershire Sauce.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Wasn't HC the only Soap on last night? I'm sure there was no Emmerdale, Corrie or EE so Hollyoaks was the only competition.

Yep, they were comparing it to Neighbours, Doctors, et al, so as i said not much competition. From what I remember it got 8% of the audience share which doesn't seem too bad considering that most people, even if they're not mad keen football fans, do watch England when they're in big competitions (and if it had been almost any other Holby episode I'd probably have been one of them).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    She mentioned Joan Collins, but I'm sure she mentioned Griffin as well. In a different scene, I think. I believe it was when they were doing the cooking, just before Sacha realised they didn't have Worcestershire Sauce.

I've just checked - yes she did mention Griffin but as I said, she's supposed to have been working at the Hospital as a bank Nurse, possibly for years off and on so could easliy have met - or the very least know of Ric and his reputation with wives. He's a leading Consultant, used to be DOS and has had 2 wives and a daughter working with him - bound to be gossiped about.
  • Options
    alsmamaalsmama Posts: 4,564
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Still wondering why Holby didn't make it onto the soap awards. Can anyone tell me?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    alsmama wrote: »
    Still wondering why Holby didn't make it onto the soap awards. Can anyone tell me?

Oh sorry, I don't know for sure but I think many don't consider it to be a Soap. I know some of the posters on here don't. Maybe the organisers and sponsors of the Soap Awards don't either. It is (or at least should be) a continuing drama which has some soap elements. The mere fact that it has a different plot each week with the various patients separates it a bit from shows although that is also true ot Doctors and that is included.

Even the soap mags vary as to whether they count it. Inside Soap covers it in a fair amount of detail - a quarter page article every week and a full page interview probably every other week along with Casualty but Soap Life only has the synopsis and All About Soap doesn't cover it at all.
  • Options
    alsmamaalsmama Posts: 4,564
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for that kitkat.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    There's a really interesting interview with the writer of the first part of the Casualty special on the Holby TV site, link below: but the reason I'm posting it on here (because I do realise there isn't the Casualty thread :)) is because of what she says about how the different writers ensure continuity between episodes. There seem to be many people and systems involved in helping to do this, which begs the question, for me at least, why sometimes on Holby it really hasn't worked.

Also, am wondering if the Elliott reveal or even 'will he survive surgery' storyline might be what they're building up to for the 3/4 series point which is coming up soon as judging from the clip on the BBC website
    it seems like he's having some sort of scan this week, and from the RT synopsis that its getting harder for him to hide his symptoms the following week (a patient can spot something's not right). And, if it is a brain tumour can see them wanting to operate as soon as possible (if they can) which might work out for the next week which would be episode 39.
    And regarding the Elliott storyline, Paul's done an interview: and I was really surprised to see him say that people had been using whatever is wrong with Elliott to push him out of the way, because (unless I've missed something) I haven't noticed this at all

And good news:
    Mr T is back in the episode after next (which is back on Tuesday [1st July} but at 8.30pm)
    :):):):):):)
  • Options
    jerseyporterjerseyporter Posts: 2,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wiggles247 wrote: »
    There's a really interesting interview with the writer of the first part of the Casualty special on the Holby TV site, link below: but the reason I'm posting it on here (because I do realise there isn't the Casualty thread :)) is because of what she says about how the different writers ensure continuity between episodes. There seem to be many people and systems involved in helping to do this, which begs the question, for me at least, why sometimes on Holby it really hasn't worked.

Also, am wondering if the Elliott reveal or even 'will he survive surgery' storyline might be what they're building up to for the 3/4 series point which is coming up soon as judging from the clip on the BBC website
    it seems like he's having some sort of scan this week, and from the RT synopsis that its getting harder for him to hide his symptoms the following week (a patient can spot something's not right). And, if it is a brain tumour can see them wanting to operate as soon as possible (if they can) which might work out for the next week which would be episode 39.
    And regarding the Elliott storyline, Paul's done an interview: and I was really surprised to see him say that people had been using whatever is wrong with Elliott to push him out of the way, because (unless I've missed something) I haven't noticed this at all

And good news:
    Mr T is back in the episode after next (which is back on Tuesday [1st July} but at 8.30pm)
    :):):):):):)

The 'pushing out of the way' comment was in direct answer to the question about how people react to Elliot's diagnosis, which of course we haven't seen on screen yet, but obviously Paul filmed some time ago. So, from his point of view, and answering the question from a 'post diagnosis episode' position, he knows what the reactions are going to be from some of his co-workers on screen, we just haven't seen them yet!) I might be wrong, of course, but I think it's that simple as to why his answer and what we've seen so far don't quite add up... yet. But I'm sure his comment will start to make sense and become clearer in the next couple of weeks! :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'd agree that nobody has pushed him out so far but that will refer to post diagnosis. Hypothetically, if it is a brain tunour, I can see Guy being keen to operate and cure him but not wanting him active on the Ward until it is done due to possible negligence accusations if it becomes common knowledge. Also, it appears that Elliot is feeling insecure and hiding out next week which considering Jac is away is going to leave the department very short staffed at the top.

I'd imagine this might be the way they get Jac back sooner rather than later - Self demands her back to run the department which makes Elliot feel pushed out whether it is Jac's intention or not. But given she's likely to be firmly back in ice queen mode when she returns as a defence re Emma, she probably won't come across at all sympathetic towards him.
This discussion has been closed.