Options

Whatever happened to The News?

2»

Comments

• Options
    JamesC81JamesC81 Posts: 14,792
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In my younger days, Robert Dougal, Richard Baker etc, came into our houses and told us about the important things that had been happening, either here at home, or abroad.

Now, just look at the BBC, which is funded by the people of the United Kingdom.

We have a lady murdered in Bristol.

We have "possible review" of Doctor David Kelly's death.

But what takes the top headline?

A bunch of overpaid sportsmen winning a stupid cricket trophy!!!

Priorities, what priorities?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/

you know i;m sure england winning the 1966 world cup all those years back made headlines too
  • Options
    CyanidePillCyanidePill Posts: 365
    Forum Member
    Ehm no actually.

However I would expect a News organisation to place the death of a human being above a stupid bloody game of cricket.

Not rocket science really.

She's already been page 1 news for a few days now.
  • Options
    mountymounty Posts: 19,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As far as cricket victories go, beating the aussies at home is a pretty big one. Cricket is hardly ever mentioned on the nightly news so let 'em have their moment in the spotlight I say

and incidentally Welsh players are equally eligible to join the squad, so it's not just 1/4 of the UK!
  • Options
    duckymallardduckymallard Posts: 13,936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mounty wrote: »
    and incidentally Welsh players are equally eligible to join the squad, so it's not just 1/4 of the UK!

Wouldn't they have trouble bowling with that funny shaped ball? :p
  • Options
    BrooklynBoyBrooklynBoy Posts: 10,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know England is one of four countries in the UK, hence the quarter of the the country reference. I'm guessing there are more than a quarter of the UK population in England though. Does anyone know what the percentage of Brits that are English is?
  • Options
    starman700starman700 Posts: 3,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not accurate but i would say at least 70% of Brits are English
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The main headline on the BBC national news at 6.20pm today was the water crisis in N. Ireland. I'm glad this was top of the bill as it is a HUGE story (40,000 homes without water for days).
  • Options
    sutiesutie Posts: 32,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think we can count ourselves lucky that bloomin' 'Strictly Come Dancing' has finished, as that seems to be the BBC's number one topic whilst its on.
  • Options
    LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    I know England is one of four countries in the UK, hence the quarter of the the country reference. I'm guessing there are more than a quarter of the UK population in England though. Does anyone know what the percentage of Brits that are English is?

According to Wikipedia:

UK: 62 million
    England: 51.4 million
    Scotland: 5.2 million
    Wales: 3 million
    NI: 1.8 million

Figures are rounded. Over 80% of the population of the UK live in England. Of course, not all of them are English and not all of them are interested in cricket.
  • Options
    BrooklynBoyBrooklynBoy Posts: 10,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lyricalis wrote: »
    According to Wikipedia:

UK: 62 million
    England: 51.4 million
    Scotland: 5.2 million
    Wales: 3 million
    NI: 1.8 million

Figures are rounded. Over 80% of the population of the UK live in England. Of course, not all of them are English and not all of them are interested in cricket.

It would be fair though to guess more than 25% of the UK population are English and interested though?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So a stupid little game played by one quarter of the United Kingdom should take priority over the deaths of 2 human beings?

No wonder no-one likes the English! :p

It might be a silly little game to you, but to a lot of people it's not....lets get all the news channels to plan their bulletins to suit your interests
  • Options
    starman700starman700 Posts: 3,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is a stupid little Game and im 100% English,i guess i wasn't allowed to bat much when i was at school...
  • Options
    LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    It would be fair though to guess more than 25% of the UK population are English and interested though?

I think it would be fair to say so.
  • Options
    mike1948mike1948 Posts: 2,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Forget TV and listen to the 6pm news on Radio 4 for half an hour of real news. TV news is governed by the supposed need to have pictures for every item.
  • Options
    You_moYou_mo Posts: 11,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The internet is better. You don't have to listen to all the reporter's ridiculous mournful clichés such as 'coming to terms with' or 'outpouring of support/grief'
  • Options
    Gripper StebsonGripper Stebson Posts: 1,441
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sentenza wrote: »
    ITV 6.30 p.m news makes me laugh it has David Beckham picture in the intro.

Indeed, why is there that picture of him ALLWAYS on the intro? And when he is the news that day(which seems to be pretty often) they put an additional picture of him on the intro as well! I allways look away for a few seconds during the intro now as I was so fed up of seeing his mug on every single itv news bulletin.

Aside from that, yes the TV news during the past decade has definitely been dumbed down. They need to get it back to how it used to be. Serious news, none of these reports on such things as celebs(unless serious news like they've died) and The X Factor, etc.