Options

Should Iron Maiden have been the band for the Olympic Ceremony?

1235»

Comments

• Options
    egghead1egghead1 Posts: 4,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Biko wrote: »
    what this thread should've been called is "Iron Maiden are my favourite band and i'm annoyed that they are not recognised by the stupid mainstream public" (despite the fact theyve sold 85 million)

If it were then it would be a lie,as the arent my favourite band;nor do I care the aren't recognised by mainstream.Anytime you want to totally miss a point again let me know.:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Scratchy7929Scratchy7929 Posts: 3,252
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    egghead1 wrote: »
    If it were then it would be a lie,as the arent my favourite band;nor do I care the aren't recognised by mainstream.Anytime you want to totally miss a point again let me know.:rolleyes:

Which / what mainstream are you talking about :confused: - aren't The Brits, Grammy's mainstream award ceremonies, not that it concerns me that much - I detest award ceremonies.Going by the number of fans Iron Maiden have alone, surely they must be considered mainstream though.Media format's (TV, radio, print etc.) have nothing to do with whether something is mainstream or not.I consider Metal as a mainstream genre overall as well - although containing a mass of non-mainstream sub-genres as well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    trevgo wrote: »
    OK - I understand why the Maiden fans are peeved at their passing over for Arctics, but they cannot see outside the box.
    Musical proficiency is fine, but you need the tunes, the tunes.

Neither can you it seems - what great tunes have Arctic Monkeys produced - slightly atonal garage rock type chords & chant like chorus's (early stuff, when they achieved their mainstream success don't reflect good tunes to me).Iron Maiden have produced some far more tuneful track's than Arctic Monkey's have.Think you need to reflect on your point before trying to make it personally.
    BTW my taste in music is not generally based on hooks / tunes - although I'm a sucker for it at times like the most of us (I'm not afraid to admit it like alot of people, especially metal, hard rock fans - I'm one of them as well BTW - have musical tastes outside that as well).But suggesting Arctic Monkey's success has been based on this is a little bit deluded to me.I'd only give them a 5 / 10 max for a band that creates good hook's [Good rock music doesn't necessarily need good hooks of course]
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    trevgo wrote: »
    I have no doubt he considers metal music like I do - completely unprogressive, uninventive, predictable. A minority of people like it, as a minority of people like indie music

Garage rock revival (basically what is 'now', usually termed UK Indie Rock) is the most regressive form of rock (including metal) that is around at the moment IMO.You're clearly not a metal or hard rock fan - therefore I'd advise you not to comment on things you have little knowledge about.Many of the sub-genres of metal continue to be many of the things you mention above, who have fed into being influences on more 'mainstream' metal bands (or bands that have metal influences in their music anyway).
  • Options
    StrmChaserSteveStrmChaserSteve Posts: 2,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Iron Maiden - Rhyme of the Ancient Mariner

i can see that being integrated into the opening ceremony
    some amazing guitar playing, some pyro-technics

They could have made it look much more scary than a giant puppet on a string being raised up, and then raised down again

Mary Poppins? Not a chance against Eddie
  • Options
    Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,216
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ags_rule wrote: »
    There are a lot of close-minded metalheads, probably more so than any other genre, I'll give you that.

But also some of the most intelligent people I've ever met are metalheads. I know a brain surgeon who went to a Metallica gig I was at! Strange as it may seem, a lot of metal fans I know love to read, good fiction as well, not Dan Brown bubblegum stuff. There's some very sharp metal fans on these forums as well, I always enjoy reading Glawster's posts.

And then you have the metal musicians themselves - Roadrunner posted interviews with some of their acts talking about their Top 10 albums of 2011, and you wouldn't believe the variety. Guys like Rob Flynn of Machine Head putting Jay-Z and Ray LaMontagne in their lists, and guitar shredder John Petrucci putting the likes of Adele and Bon Iver.

I think Metal has to contend with more stereotypes than almost any other genre, probably with the exception of Prog! :D

Metal as a genre is vast. It covers hundreds, if not thousands, of sub-genres, it also has the most passionate and loyal following of any single genre. With that in mind it is reasonable to say it is going to have a number of close-mined fans, as to every other genre of music to some extent, but given the vast myriad of different styles of Metal a Metal-head could spend their life listening to Metal bands and still only cover a fraction of the genre.

For example I'm 49, I've been listening to rock music, including Metal and Prog, for over 35 years and have a CD/Vinyl closer to 3,000 than 2,000. I've ripped probably half my collection to MP3 and my MP3 player has albums from over 250 bands, and yet when I get my Classic Rock and Prog magazines every month I've never heard of most of the bands advertised, let alone know what they sound like. It is debatable if any other genre of music has that.

The same with the notion Metal-heads are "knuckle draggers". A survey recently reported in Classic Rock revealed that the "average"rock fan was of above average intelligence, earned above average income, and spent well above average on CDs, gigs, and Hi-fi.
  • Options
    Charles IICharles II Posts: 1,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ..I'm a Maiden fan and I'm glad that they had absolutely nothing to do with a pointless sporting event that will be largely forgotten about by Autumn.
  • Options
    InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Metal has to contend with more stereotypes than almost any other genre, probably with the exception of Prog! :D

Or country. Or hip-hop. Most people would have fairly fixed ideas of what a country fan or a hip-hip devotee would look like. In fact they look like Olympics hero Michael Phelps, if reports of his listening preferences are correct.