Options

Washing a Carpet.

stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
Forum Member
✭✭
Anyone done it with just a scrubbing brush and water, tempted to get a Vax but paying out for something that would get used once and be left in the cupboard seems a waste. Am I going to end up with a soggy carpet for weeks and rotten floor boards or does the old method give a decent clean, my room is getting stinky.

Comments

• Options
    howardlhowardl Posts: 5,120
    Forum Member
    Ha, yes mine is left in the cupboard for a lot of it's life,
    but, it's brought out every now and then and makes the job so easy.
  • Options
    ROWLING2010ROWLING2010 Posts: 3,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can hire a carpet cleaner instead.
  • Options
    radioanorakradioanorak Posts: 4,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We do what the local Greeks do, here on Rhodes.
    Take carpets into the street & hose it clean. We sprinkle some washing up liquid onto it & then scrub clean with a hard bristle brush
    Then we hang it over a wall & it dries in no time
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We just hire a Dirt Devil from the hardware store. £20 per day.
  • Options
    stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Didn't think you could hire them, that's an idea. I saw a wet and dry Vax, is that the best of both worlds or the worst, at least it could be used to hoover as well.
  • Options
    mildredhubblemildredhubble Posts: 6,447
    Forum Member
    Rug doctor too, my local morrisons and tesco do them.
  • Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of the best things we ever bought was our carpet washing machine, yes it stands in a cupboard for a lot of it's life but every 6 weeks or so it makes cleaning the carpets so easy. Without it I can guarantee we would wait until they got stinky before tackling them but now no such problem.
  • Options
    fat controllerfat controller Posts: 13,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We couldn't be without our Vax Rapide - we rent our house, and as with most rental properties it has light cream carpets (why do landlords do that?); with a dog and a child running around the garden, it doesn't take long for the carpets to get grimy.

A quick run over with the Vax brings them up as good as new, and they dry really quickly too. Ours has a hose attachment too, which let us use it on the stairs and in the car. Not cheap at £200, but its been used considerably more than ten times already, so it makes renting one look poor value.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That's probably what we get as well:o
  • Options
    PinkPetuniaPinkPetunia Posts: 5,479
    Forum Member

We got it from B+Q and it worked well
  • Options
    SuesSues Posts: 1,475
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a Bissell carpet cleaner and it is now about 10 years old. I love it and it works so well. It has paid for itself over and over again and the carpets, rugs and upholstery look as good as new.
  • Options
    curvybabescurvybabes Posts: 13,223
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I,ve tried using carpet shampoo and scrubbing the carpet but its never as good as using a machine like rug doctor
  • Options
    Flat MattFlat Matt Posts: 7,023
    Forum Member

Speaking as someone who had his own carpet cleaning business, I would strongly advise against using a Rug Doctor on your carpets - or any cheap carpet cleaner for that matter.

They are God awful things and known in the trade as "Slug Doctors" because of the trail of crap they leave behind in your carpets.

Use a Rug Doctor once and you will be needing to hire one again and again. They leave so much of the cleaning fluid in your carpet that it becomes sticky and attracts dirt like you wouldn't believe. I could always take one look at a carpet and tell immediately that someone had been at it with a Rug Doctor.

Get a professional in to do it. It's not as expensive as you think.
  • Options
    PinkPetuniaPinkPetunia Posts: 5,479
    Forum Member
    Flat Matt wrote: »
    Speaking as someone who had his own carpet cleaning business, I would strongly advise against using a Rug Doctor on your carpets - or any cheap carpet cleaner for that matter.

They are God awful things and known in the trade as "Slug Doctors" because of the trail of crap they leave behind in your carpets.

Use a Rug Doctor once and you will be needing to hire one again and again. They leave so much of the cleaning fluid in your carpet that it becomes sticky and attracts dirt like you wouldn't believe. I could always take one look at a carpet and tell immediately that someone had been at it with a Rug Doctor.

I used Rug Doctor and non of what you say happend .The carpet came up lovely , no stickiness and no dirt and no need to do it again at all
  • Options
    curvybabescurvybabes Posts: 13,223
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Flat Matt wrote: »

This is what I do, I just presumed his machine was rug doctor :o, your right its not as expensive as I thought I get my hall carpet cleaned for £25 and its really long, it looks like new when its done
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I used Rug Doctor and non of what you say happend .The carpet came up lovely , no stickiness and no dirt and no need to do it again at all

I assure you that your carpet is absolutely full of cleaning solution, which will attract dirt in time.

It won't be sticky to the touch, but it will be absolutely full of the stuff.

Still, Slug Doctors are the professional carpet cleaner's friend. The amount of work I used to get putting carpets right after people had used those things came in quite handy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    curvybabes wrote: »
    This is what I do, I just presumed his machine was rug doctor :o, your right its not as expensive as I thought I get my hall carpet cleaned for £25 and its really long, it looks like new when its done

Trust me, you don't want a Slug Doctor anywhere near your carpets.

A professional uses equipment that costs thousands of pounds and proper cleaning products that are suited to the type of carpet.

If you're going to use a Slug Doctor you might as well just use washing up liquid. In fact, you'd be better off using washing up liquid to be honest.
  • Options
    hustedhusted Posts: 5,287
    Forum Member
    stvn758 wrote: »
    Didn't think you could hire them, that's an idea. I saw a wet and dry Vax, is that the best of both worlds or the worst, at least it could be used to hoover as well.

I have a wet and dry Vax.

Its a little heavier than a normal vacuum cleaner (sturdy), but it's worth it's weight in gold. Vacuums, washes, dries, carpets, furnishings, upholstery, sofas, hard floors...

I even used it to unblock the sink.
  • Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't say I have had a problem with rug doctor or our bissel. Never caused our carpets to have a problem. And having a slightly leaky dog and a puppy we would be paying a hell of a lot to get it "professionally" cleaned everytime we needed to wash the carpet.

Also only time we have had a professional cleaner I have never worked so hard myself before or since, they don't exactly help moving the furniture etc and when we do it our selves we can go round the heavier bits instead of rupturing ourselves shifting stuff.