Options

Bloody DS Adverts Blaring Out!

Comments

• Options
    Hershal_GreeneHershal_Greene Posts: 759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The site went weird yesterday but hell it worked so much better. The screen never fits to my screen size anymore and jumps about the place.
  • Options
    Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It has been terrible this evening; I literally jumped out of my skin earlier when the football ones started to play. Think I'll go back to using Chrome & adblock.
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,274
    Forum Member
    No need to have add,'s. If you browse with no add blocker you must be some kind of sadist.

LOL. At this point, it's true.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm using my phone, I don't hear anything but my browser does keep taking me to Amazon USA to look at Bluray discs priced in dollars. :confused:
  • Options
    karapote monkeykarapote monkey Posts: 3,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm using my phone, I don't hear anything but my browser does keep taking me to Amazon USA to look at Bluray discs priced in dollars. :confused:

That was driving me mental the other day.
  • Options
    WhatJoeThinksWhatJoeThinks Posts: 11,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It has been terrible this evening; I literally jumped out of my skin earlier when the football ones started to play. Think I'll go back to using Chrome & adblock.

:D Ouch!
  • Options
    curvybabescurvybabes Posts: 13,223
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My phone logged me out last night and I couldn't log back in but the site loaded so much faster I thougbt I was back in the 90's :D, no probs on pc but haven't checked mobile tonight.
  • Options
    IqoniqIqoniq Posts: 6,299
    Forum Member
    From designing websites in the past, I have an insight into how this might work in regards to DigitalSpy (and quite a lot of other sites).

Basically DigitalSpy don't have any direct relationship with the actual companies advertising, but are enrolled in what's known as an "ad program". An ad program is provided by an advertising provider who just serve up ads (a bit like Google AdSense), based on where the request for an advert is coming from, what the page is about, any tracking cookies on the computer that's browsing the page, as well as a smattering of the dark arts and who has the most money to push an ad. DS can remove themselves from ads for certain things, like an ad for a competitor or something, or in this case ads that are causing problems. While it would be good for them to screen ads and make sure they're not locking up a system, it's nigh on impossible as ads can be frequently updated or changed, and what may make one system crawl doesn't affect another. The main problem isn't DS, but the advert/product.

As for the ad making it impossible to click anywhere without you going to the site - mission accomplished. There's three main types of advert...
    Cost per click (CPC) where every time an ad is clicked the publisher gets paid.
    Cost per impression (CPI) where every time an ad is displayed the publisher gets paid.
    Cost per thousand impression (CPM) where for every thousand times an ad is displayed the publisher gets paid.

If the advertiser is using either CPI or CPM there's no loss to them if the ad is structured so you can't avoid clicking on it. It's quite possibly one of the sneakiest and underhanded tactics used in the advertising world and you'll see it predominantly on mobile devices where screen size is at a premium and/or precise clicking is difficult. What a lot of these advertisers aren't realising is that by doing this they're just annoying their potential clients and discouraging them.

Where the fault directly lies with DS is the fact that they're not listening to their users.

While I admit that publishers should be paid for their services, there is a limit to the extent they should go to. I know someone who runs a forum and he only shows ads that are CPM or CPI, but his ads are a banner ad at the top of the page, and then another about half the way down the page of posts which is indicated as an adbot and just another simple banner ad. If he finds an ad that tries to do something sneaky he just removes it as he makes enough from the banner ads to cover his costs (which is his aim). He's spoken to regular users, ran a poll and everything he could to see what users would be happy with and listened so I've whitelisted his site on ABP because that's fine.

DS however are just doing what they want and not listening to their users (just look at the backlash they had when they updated the forum for example). If they brought in simple banner ads in the way they my friend does I'd whitelist them too, but they won't. I don't know who is in charge, but they need to be aware that they don't really make the site successful, the users do. Given the amount of page views that the forums get in a day, they may find that using ads that don't get them as much revenue from a single impression might actually in them more as users would probably be happy whitelisting their site.
  • Options
    dave clarkedave clarke Posts: 1,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Usually get a huge purple Charlie and the chocolate factory on my iphone can anyone suggest an adblocker tried unlock and it says unsuitable
    Am using safari
  • Options
    dave clarkedave clarke Posts: 1,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry Ublock auto correct caught me
  • Options
    iampaulxoiampaulxo Posts: 107
    Forum Member
    I have this problem with ads blaring out which always lays over the top post on each page, I've figured how to get rid of this just by refreshing the page with another ad which is nicely structured in place and problem solved. I admit this is somewhat long winded but I guess it's the only way unless of course you use adblocker which I haven't used before.
  • Options
    TerraCanisTerraCanis Posts: 14,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Iqoniq wrote: »
    From designing websites in the past, I have an insight into how this might work in regards to DigitalSpy (and quite a lot of other sites).

Basically DigitalSpy don't have any direct relationship with the actual companies advertising, but are enrolled in what's known as an "ad program". An ad program is provided by an advertising provider who just serve up ads

[..]

As for the ad making it impossible to click anywhere without you going to the site - mission accomplished. There's three main types of advert...

And those are the features that make them such useful tools for the delivery of malware.
  • Options
    tim_smithtim_smith Posts: 772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I hope you manage to get it all back on, it sounds very painful:p.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    TerraCanis wrote: »
    And those are the features that make them such useful tools for the delivery of malware.
    I fully agree, but I didn't mention malware because if I say DS or their ad providers are or potentially are pushing malware then I'm opening myself up to all sorts of problems legally. I also didn't want to worry people unnecessarily and think because their system is flaky they've been infected with anything.

While there's no denying that cyber criminals are getting increasingly sophisticated, it's nothing that a decent antivirus program can't stop. Harsh as I may sound, if people are browsing unprotected then I don't have much sympathy if they get something nasty.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I fully agree, but I didn't mention malware because if I say DS or their ad providers are or potentially are pushing malware then I'm opening myself up to all sorts of problems legally. I also didn't want to worry people unnecessarily and think because their system is flaky they've been infected with anything.

While there's no denying that cyber criminals are getting increasingly sophisticated, it's nothing that a decent antivirus program can't stop. Harsh as I may sound, if people are browsing unprotected then I don't have much sympathy if they get something nasty.

The thing is though, if someone has gotten with an ISP for the first time and has no idea about the dangers of the internet (as far as their computer is concerned), they won't even know about antivirus software. For people that do and still remain unprotected, I agree totally with you.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    zx50 wrote: »
    The thing is though, if someone has gotten with an ISP for the first time and has no idea about the dangers of the internet (as far as their computer is concerned), they won't even know about antivirus software. For people that do and still remain unprotected, I agree totally with you.
    They'd have had to have been living on Mars for the past 15 years for them to be completely unaware of the threats of viruses and the internet, especially as most computers these days come with some sort of antivirus protection bundled with the bloatware. There's hardly a week goes by without some new malware or virus making the news headlines. If someone is going to wander blindly into what is basically a frontier land, then that's their own fault. Alas, we're digressing lol :)
  • Options
    HP.80 VictorHP.80 Victor Posts: 1,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TerraCanis wrote: »

Indeed.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/06/02/digital_spy_malware/

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/07/20/digital_spy_malware/
  • Options
    Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,998
    Forum Member
    I have more of a problem with the top ads on the mobile site which cover the links that allow you to go back (from thread to list of threads)
  • Options
    Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :D Ouch!
    tim_smith wrote: »
    I hope you manage to get it all back on, it sounds very painful:p.

Haha, my sides are literally splitting here! :p
  • Options
    mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,999
    Forum Member
    They're annoying me too. They keep playing every couple of minutes.

I have to keep loading the DS page. :(
  • Options
    howard hhoward h Posts: 23,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mimicole wrote: »
    They're annoying me too. They keep playing every couple of minutes.

I have to keep loading the DS page. :(

Install adblock then!!

My page is absolutely clean, no ads, no music, no videos, just what I want to read.
  • Options
    gamzattiwoogamzattiwoo Posts: 3,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know I'm very ignorant about the technology of finding my way around my PC but I have to ask How do you install adbocker ? very grateful for some help.
  • Options
    WhatJoeThinksWhatJoeThinks Posts: 11,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know I'm very ignorant about the technology of finding my way around my PC but I have to ask How do you install adbocker ? very grateful for some help.

If you're using Internet Explorer try pressing [Alt}-[T] then [K] to turn on Tracking Protection. You may need to download a couple of Tracking Protection Lists (click on the 'Tracking Protection Lists' tab, then click to add 'EasyList Standard' and 'EasyPrivacy'. Hope that helps. :)

[Edit] See here for more instructions.
  • Options
    Jason100Jason100 Posts: 17,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Out of all the sites I visit, DS is the one that uses most of my laptop's CPU up. It's currently eating up 40% of my CPU as I type and that's due to the amount of adverts this site has.
  • Options
    gamzattiwoogamzattiwoo Posts: 3,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thank you for that I think I will get my son on it.But I have high CPU usage too.What is that?:confused: