WhedoniteWhedonite Posts: 29,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm glad mine isn't in the top 10.
  • Options
    Wong_BillabongWong_Billabong Posts: 10,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't make it woop. Trouble with some of these is like Essex for example is that it depends where in Essex they're from and their language choices. If they talk thick in a strong Essex accent it's worse than talking intelligently in a strong Essex accent and vice versa
  • Options
    An ThropologistAn Thropologist Posts: 39,854
    Forum Member
    Giaswegian/Scottish

What does that even mean? There are lots of accents that would qualify as Scottish and they are different even to my English ears. Compare Molly Weir (Sp?) to Rab C Nesbit for example. Indeed I can hear in my inner ear several variants of Glaswegian
  • Options
    jjnejjne Posts: 6,580
    Forum Member
    Gave up after seeing "Northern Ireland" at number 10.

If that's the level of the report, putting an entire province in the same category, it's not worse wiping your arse with.
  • Options
    DangermooseDangermoose Posts: 67,989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm outraged at Liverpool being number one. I LOVE the scouse accent :blush:

I do struggle with the scottish but probably the worst for me is Geordie. I dated a Geordie lad once and spent the entire relationship nodding in agreement with absolutely no clue what he ever said ...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm outraged at Liverpool being number one. I LOVE the scouse accent :blush:

I do struggle with the scottish but probably the worst for me is Geordie. I dated a Geordie lad once and spent the entire relationship nodding in agreement with absolutely no clue what he ever said ...

That sounds like a very risky strategy? Did you ever find out what you were agreeing to? :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    jjne wrote: »
    Gave up after seeing "Northern Ireland" at number 10.

If that's the level of the report, putting an entire province in the same category, it's not worse wiping your arse with.

I hear you. I persevered until Glasgow and Scottish were lumped together as a homogenous mass. :confused:

I think the list is more or less covering every accent by being very vague. It seems to start with the Irish one, moves on to the
    North East one,
    South East posh one.
    Midlandy one
    Scottishy ones
    Welshy ones
    West Country ones
    South East not so posh ones
    etc
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mrkidd85 wrote: »

I agree with all of them except this:-
    the Essex accent is associated with being incredibly unintelligent and self-obsessed. Shuuut Upppp!

What a bunch of crap >:(:kitty::D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    blueblade wrote: »
    I agree with all of them except this:-

What a bunch of crap >:(:kitty::D

Shouldn't that be Shaad appp anyway? :D
  • Options
    AddisonianAddisonian Posts: 16,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Liverpool and Brummie. Awful accents.
  • Options
    FizixFizix Posts: 16,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What Welsh/Cardiff accent doing on there? I find Welsh accents very attractive.
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shouldn't that be Shaad appp anyway? :D

....possibly......;-)

It's the Scottish and Northern Irish accents I can't abide. The rest are OK.
  • Options
    DangermooseDangermoose Posts: 67,989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That sounds like a very risky strategy? Did you ever find out what you were agreeing to? :D

Well, I haven't seen him for 17 years. I could swear he said he was only popping out for a bottle milk :o
  • Options
    Jim_McIntoshJim_McIntosh Posts: 5,866
    Forum Member
    I can kind of agree with that list if I think about the specific voice of the person in the photo in each one. I think most regional accents have some pretty odd, guttural, or harsh sounding variants. I went to Stoke once for a weekend and had no idea what anyone was saying as there just seemed to be no end of weird clucks and extra sounds. It took a day of trying to pick out the specific sounds and put them together into words before I was starting to get anywhere. You do start to pick it up though.

I dated a woman from Berkshire and she struggled a lot more with my accent than I did with hers. She annunciated every word slowly and fully whereas I'm south of Glasgow and we tend to speak very quickly with a lot of syllables not emphasised. Words like "milk" and "cloth" and "twenty" are difficult for me to say in the same way people from other regions can say them. It's not just the conception of them in my brain but the actual physical speech. You do adjust though to people around you, just not immediately.

I could say I disliked or found odd a lot of local accents from within most (probably all) regions. There are some beautiful accents as well though. I love the Cork accent (not UK but will mention it anyway). And the Skye accent too.

Even within local accents there are people who speak harder or softer, quicker or slower, and all other sorts of differences so you'll get nicer or not so nice variations (or ones that are not so subjectively pleasing to the ear of the listener).

I do kind of get the article though when I think of the specific person's voice.
  • Options
    pearlsandplumspearlsandplums Posts: 29,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Like several other posters, i tutted at belfast and northern ireland being lumped together. The belfast and derry accents (for example) sound nothing alike.

It is a feature of Uk media that generally Northern ireland consists of belfast and everywhere else.
  • Options
    Peter_BlondePeter_Blonde Posts: 306
    Forum Member
    Belfast
    Scouse
    Brum
    Manc
    Hull

All sound nasty.
  • Options
    Mark1974Mark1974 Posts: 4,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In order....

1) Scouse - just awful
    2) Manc - nasal
    3) Black Country - nice people, but not the accent, sorry
    4) Barnsley - thick beyond belief
    5) West Yorkshire accents - also pretty thick
    7) Hull - it's ner way to talk properly
    8) Estuary English/Mockney - it just "mugs me off mate"
    9) Most Northern Irish accents - not a patch on those further south
    10) Some Lancashire accents - especially those that say "ther" for "there" and "luke" for "look"

Of course it actually depends on who is speaking. All of the above can sound nice on the right person.
  • Options
    Isambard BrunelIsambard Brunel Posts: 6,598
    Forum Member
    It's click bait, intended to make you load scores of pages reading the accents and posting comments, generating them lots of advertising money in the process.
  • Options
    SegaGamerSegaGamer Posts: 29,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The west country all loaded into one accent........ok. People from Bristol and Cornwall sound nothing a like.
  • Options
    AsarualimAsarualim Posts: 3,884
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SegaGamer wrote: »
    The west country all loaded into one accent........ok. People from Bristol and Cornwall sound nothing a like.

Even if they did sound the same, they have no business being on such a list. i'm not from the area but I love a West Country accent, and can't recall ever hearing anyone express a dislike for any of them.
  • Options
    jackoljackol Posts: 7,887
    Forum Member
    Black Country
    Manc
    South London
    Birmingham
  • Options
    ElyanElyan Posts: 8,781
    Forum Member
    Scouse wins hands down.

Bloody awful.
  • Options
    SaturnVSaturnV Posts: 11,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Elyan wrote: »
    Scouse wins hands down.

Bloody awful.

What's your accent? Do tell so we can rip you to bits. Gonna grate on someone.