Options

Applying for benefits by phone

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 83
Forum Member
Hi all

I applied online for incapacity benefit and was told to expect a call back which i missed. They sent me a letter asking me to call them if I wished to continue the claim. Has anyone done this? If so what happens and what kind of info do they need?

Many thanks

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,985
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi,
    I have recently done this. I applied online then completed everything over the phone. They just take all your personal details, address, employer info, bank details (where the benefits can be paid into) etc. They then submit the claim and you will hear back within a few weeks whether or not the claim has been successful
  • Options
    stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't they give you a check up, especially now with the rule changes.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,985
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've not had to have a check up. I just have to send them my sick note's from my GP
  • Options
    agentzagentz Posts: 2,483
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stvn758 wrote: »
    Don't they give you a check up, especially now with the rule changes.

Isn't it still the case that you only have to have a medical assessment if you are in receipt of IB for more than something like 12 weeks? A couple of years ago I was awarded IB but returned to work after about 8 or 9 weeks and had just received a letter about attending a medical a few days before I returned to work, so didn't have to go to the appointment.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yes you have to go for a medical every12 months even though i had a letter saying they no longer need sick notes from me i still have to have the medical every year
  • Options
    ScaramoucheScaramouche Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Since the introduction of Pathways to Work they are supposed to invite people to a 'Personal Capability Assessment' in the fourth week of a claim. They don't seem to be achieving this due to backlogs and lack of staff.

The period between PCAs will depend on the Decision Maker's opinion about the severity of the health condition. Some conditions are 'PCA exempt' due to their severity or because they are unlikely to improve with time.

The PCA is being replaced by the 'Work Capability Assessment' in November when the ESA comes in. The impression being given is that significantly more people will fail it and be forced to appeal or claim JSA.