Link card abroad?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 83
Forum Member
Hi all

can you use link cards abroad? I dont mean visa debit, just your ordinary cash machine card that does nothing but let you draw cash out.

Thanks

Lou x

Comments

• matrixladmatrixlad Posts: 580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The simple answer is no.
  • SomnerSomner Posts: 9,412
    Forum Member
    Which bank is the card with? Does it have any logo's anywhere on the card, both back and front? Which country are you going to?

Without any of this information, we can't give you an answer.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just googled and found this:

Can I use my LINK card abroad?

Although LINK is a UK-only ATM network, connections can be provided to the international VISA and Mastercard networks, meaning that some LINK-enabled debit cards can also be used in certain overseas cash machines. However, it all depends on the organisation that issued the card and whether they choose to utilise these connections.
  • SomnerSomner Posts: 9,412
    Forum Member
    Just googled and found this:

Can I use my LINK card abroad?

Although LINK is a UK-only ATM network, connections can be provided to the international VISA and Mastercard networks, meaning that some LINK-enabled debit cards can also be used in certain overseas cash machines. However, it all depends on the organisation that issued the card and whether they choose to utilise these connections.

The card in question isn't a debit card though.. We could better answer this question if the op gave us some details..
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Somner wrote: »
    The card in question isn't a debit card though.. We could better answer this question if the op gave us some details..

Some years ago, I had a standard ATM card (which wasn't a debit) and I could use it abroad where there was a Link symbol.
  • The WizardThe Wizard Posts: 11,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If your card has the Maestro logo on it you can use it in most ATM machines in Europe so long as they show the Maestro Symbol. You can also use it in America in most ATM's and Citizens Bank take them also.

Be aware tho they charge you a fee which is basicly the same as you would get charged if you exchanged any currency over and it's usually a percentage of what you draw out.

You also need to be aware of the exchange rate as it changes daily so for example you may draw out 20 Euro's on two separate days but get charged different ammounts in sterling when you get home.