Other tablets the big disappointment

linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,686
Forum Member
✭✭✭
So I read Android is catching up with Apple but who can buy a cheap £100 tablet and be happy with it? I have tried them in he shops and the user experience is terrible. Might be selling well but I bet there's a lot of them sit unused.

Comments

• alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    So I read Android is catching up with Apple but who can buy a cheap £100 tablet and be happy with it? I have tried them in he shops and the user experience is terrible. Might be selling well but I bet there's a lot of them sit unused.

Not all Android tablets are £100 though. Why compare an iPad to a cheap tablet?
  • scooby1970scooby1970 Posts: 2,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Some Android tablets are better than any iPad I've got, even the new Tesco Hudl is a stellar performer and can do things my iPad can't right out of the box.

The days of Apple machines being better than Android machines are long over.

:) Mark
  • Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Android has more market share than Apple in the tablet market. I also think the Nexus 7 is an excellent device, the new iPad mini has only just caught up with it now.
  • Stuart_hStuart_h Posts: 5,311
    Forum Member

wow. just wow. :eek:

I sense you have returned to your Apple ways now after posting thread after thread slating them - for about a week :rolleyes:
  • IanPIanP Posts: 3,661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zack06 wrote: »
    Android has more market share than Apple in the tablet market. I also think the Nexus 7 is an excellent device, the new iPad mini has only just caught up with it now.
    And the Mini Retina is still 60% more expensive than the Nexus 7 2013.
  • VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Me. I'm happy with my Nexus 7 thanks!
  • Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Zack06 wrote: »

Hasn't it surpassed it now :confused:
  • fluffedfluffed Posts: 1,791
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

They are pretty similar spec wise; Apple's has the different form factor, as it had previously ofc.

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Apple-iPad-mini-2-with-Retina-specs-comparison-vs-Nexus-7-vs-LG-G-Pad-8.3_id48566
  • linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stuart_h wrote: »
    wow. just wow. :eek:

I sense you have returned to your Apple ways now after posting thread after thread slating them - for about a week :rolleyes:

I just don't see the appeal in other tablets. They lack all what's good about ipad.
  • clonmultclonmult Posts: 3,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just don't see the appeal in other tablets. They lack all what's good about ipad.

What, a locked in system and a terrible user interface?

The iOS interface is just not good. Its overly simplified and designed for idiots. It has absolutely no flexibility or design flare.

I fail to see whats so much better in iOS over Android. I have the original Nexus 7 and an iPhone 4S, so have real world experience of both. There is absolutely no way that iOS is inherently better at anything than Android.

Apart from crashing. iOS 7 is absolutely brilliant at crashing and needing a reboot. I've not once had such an issue on the Nexus 7 ....
  • John259John259 Posts: 28,319
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They lack all what's good about ipad.
    Would you like to give any examples of those features?
  • Stuart_hStuart_h Posts: 5,311
    Forum Member

Depends what you are classing as surpassed ?

The new iPad mini (from what I have read)-

- has caught up with the latest Android screens (surpassed the N7 perhaps by 3 pixels per inch if you are into that degree of willy-waving :p)
    - is still heavier than the N7 (in fact its heavier than the previous mini isnt it ?)
    - performance - i guess we will wait and see
    - raw functionality - iOS is still behind Android in features but thats the os rather than the tablet

which parts do you think have surpassed ? (genuine question :confused:)

All this for a unit that is hugely more expensive ?

I did notice they have kept the fingerprint thingy as next years upgrade :p Apple do like to keep their tablets one step behind their phones. saves innovating i guess :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Mini totally surpasses the N7 in levels of shininess! :)
  • jonner101jonner101 Posts: 3,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    clonmult wrote: »
    What, a locked in system and a terrible user interface?

The iOS interface is just not good. Its overly simplified and designed for idiots. It has absolutely no flexibility or design flare.

I fail to see whats so much better in iOS over Android. I have the original Nexus 7 and an iPhone 4S, so have real world experience of both. There is absolutely no way that iOS is inherently better at anything than Android.

Apart from crashing. iOS 7 is absolutely brilliant at crashing and needing a reboot. I've not once had such an issue on the Nexus 7 ....

For tablets I prefer the simplicity of iOS. As a shared device the customisation that you can have with Android is of no benefit. Basically with a tablet you just need a simple touch friendly app launcher. It's all about the apps really which is where iOS has the advantage in the tablet world still.

I've had plenty of random re-boots on both the Nexus 4 and 7, both excellent bits of kit but they have the capability to crash, especially if you run a lot of different software.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jonner101 wrote: »
    As a shared device the customisation that you can have with Android is of no benefit.
    Android now allows multiple accounts so each user can have their own customisations.
    Basically with a tablet you just need a simple touch friendly app launcher.
    In what way is Android lacking in that respect?
    It's all about the apps really which is where iOS has the advantage in the tablet world still.
    That was true several years ago but not now.
  • sy278sy278 Posts: 1,168
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    John259 wrote: »
    Would you like to give any examples of those features?

Yeah, come one, give some examples. Every half decent android tablet (Nexus 7 and Hudl) I have used I find out performs every iPad I have tried.
  • Evo102Evo102 Posts: 13,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'll buy an ipad when it has:-
    • Built in USB with the ability to export as well as import all file types (without the need to jailbreak).
    • Built in HDMI
    • SD/MicroSD card slot, again with import and export ability
    • 16:9 or 16:10 display, 4:3 is so 1990's!
    • Ability to connect to an external keyboard which doubles up as an additional battery and provides additional ports.

Until then I will stick with my ASUS Transformer Prime.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Evo102 wrote: »
    I'll buy an ipad when it has:
    Can I suggest an addition to that list:
    - When the price is comparable to that of the Hudl.
  • BKMBKM Posts: 6,912
    Forum Member
    sy278 wrote: »
    Every half decent android tablet (Nexus 7 and Hudl) I have used I find out performs every iPad I have tried.
    Every half decent android tablet I have tried might outperform an iPad in some respects BUT has totally failed to match its overall user experience!:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BKM wrote: »
    has totally failed to match its overall user experience!:D
    Would you care to list at least some of those factors?
  • BKMBKM Posts: 6,912
    Forum Member
    John259 wrote: »
    Would you care to list at least some of those factors?
    No! I am going to stick with "overall user experience" rather than try to break it down for people to snipe at!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BKM wrote: »
    No! I am going to stick with "overall user experience" rather than try to break it down for people to snipe at!
    Can't you even think of one thing? Not one?
  • omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm more than happy with my Nexus 7 (2012 and 13). I'm not really sure why anyone would be dissapointed with a tablet of that quality for £199. Perhaps it just isn't expensive enough or not as "cool".
  • linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Evo102 wrote: »
    I'll buy an ipad when it has:-
    • Built in USB with the ability to export as well as import all file types (without the need to jailbreak).
    • Built in HDMI
    • SD/MicroSD card slot, again with import and export ability
    • 16:9 or 16:10 display, 4:3 is so 1990's!
    • Ability to connect to an external keyboard which doubles up as an additional battery and provides additional ports.

Until then I will stick with my ASUS Transformer Prime.

SD/Micro SD is fading format even some phone are going or internal memory and sim cards like Micro sims like Iphone. Plus some Android phones don't have removable batteries now.

I know some people want a keyboard I had one for muy Ipad but generally it's a pointless idea as a tablet is not a PC.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jonner101 wrote: »
    Basically with a tablet you just need a simple touch friendly app launcher. It's all about the apps really which is where iOS has the advantage in the tablet world still.

I don't think you can generalise like that, you may well be happy simple app launcher like ios, but others may prefer the "user experience" of having an os than can do more.