Options

Any ideas what will replace Bid and Price drop?

Comments

• Options
    Tim_BishopTim_Bishop Posts: 64
    Forum Member
    mseven1 wrote: »
    What channel goes there would need a broadcasting licence for freeview and have the money to pay to be listed on freeview.

It depends if a company does buy the channels or the company, it is possible for the company to be bought still.

It depends on how much Sky will be paying ITV from the subscription. Sky wants more and high quality channels so that they can make their subscriptions more appealing. If Sky don't make being a subscription channel appealing for ITV Encore then ITV might decide to go free to air like what happened with channel 4's channels

No, you are wrong in a certain aspect...

Channel 4 decided to become a free-to-air broadcaster. and had to buy out of their contracts with e4 and filmfour.
  • Options
    mseven1mseven1 Posts: 995
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tim_Bishop wrote: »
    No, you are wrong in a certain aspect...

Channel 4 decided to become a free-to-air broadcaster. and had to buy out of their contracts with e4 and filmfour.

Channel 4 found they could make more money being free to air as the channels would be available to more viewers. The channels on sky's subscriptions are mostly owned or partly owned by BSkyB, multi channel companies which people will pay for and/or channels that wouldn't be able to survive on advertising alone. In the case of ITV their channels get higher viewers because they have multiple channels with good reputations so if ITV Encore becomes very popular and stays as a subscription channel then Sky would probably be paying them a good amount to be part of the subscription.
  • Options
    kezokezo Posts: 11,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I mentioned this on thread Bid TV in trouble but I have on channel 23 at moment that it will be back at 8am today?
  • Options
    kasgkasg Posts: 4,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kezo wrote: »
    I mentioned this on thread Bid TV in trouble but I have on channel 23 at moment that it will be back at 8am today?
    That's just the standard off-air MHEG, means nothing.
  • Options
    neyney Posts: 12,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sony Movie channel or another CBS channel. I would like to have.

Darren
  • Options
    tomeetomee Posts: 2,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ney wrote: »

Darren

I agree with this.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kasg wrote: »

I'm dodging between two threads on this lol .... oh well I wonder who will be next?
  • Options
    zsb37105qtyzzsb37105qtyz Posts: 1,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well we need a music channel that actually plays music (Yes, I'm looking at you VIVA/4Music) I would suggest CS Dance, The Box etc.

Also, I want JML Direct TV now that The Store is no longer a store because it only plays Jackpot 247. Or Best Direct but the fact it was took off Virgin Media brings me no hope

And couldn't you change 37 back to SD or am I missing something?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kasg wrote: »

Thanks .... and channel is back to a blank screen playing that annoying music ... can someone who is in control of these channels get it deleted - if its taken off air ... remove immediately is it that simple? (my freeview box I am unable to delete channels in case anyone asks lol)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Darren

I actually agree as well with you Darren, I currently like CBS:Reality at the moment ie unsolved mysteries/cops reloaded as well as before this came on it was good as well having True Entertainment as a new edition to freeview
  • Options
    chrisychrisy Posts: 9,421
    Forum Member
    Thanks .... and channel is back to a blank screen playing that annoying music ... can someone who is in control of these channels get it deleted - if its taken off air ... remove immediately is it that simple? (my freeview box I am unable to delete channels in case anyone asks lol)

Can't you just not tune in to it?

It'll get deleted when the contract expires. Given their financial situation they were probably only paying a month or so at a time. Nothing is going to happen over Easter bank holiday anyway.
  • Options
    neyney Posts: 12,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I actually agree as well with you Darren, I currently like CBS:Reality at the moment ie unsolved mysteries/cops reloaded as well as before this came on it was good as well having True Entertainment as a new edition to freeview

Judge Dude that used to be on ITV2 I have been enjoying watching again via CBS Reality.
    Would like CBS Drama or CBS Action and maybe as I said Sony Movie Channel.

Darren
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chrisy wrote: »
    Can't you just not tune in to it?

It'll get deleted when the contract expires. Given their financial situation they were probably only paying a month or so at a time. Nothing is going to happen over Easter bank holiday anyway.

I can avoid it - I was only saying as my freeview boxes is an older one from 5 years ago lol, I will just have to wait til the next scanning update.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Judge Dude that used to be on ITV2 I have been enjoying watching again via CBS Reality.
    Would like CBS Drama or CBS Action and maybe as I said Sony Movie Channel.

Darren

Judge Judy is on ITV3 (supposedly), I would welcome either CBS's or even a Sony channel
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Freeview is so exciting, it really make me think that I am missing something by not having a Tv licence. Talk of channels repeating stuff time and time again.
  • Options
    fugitivefugitive Posts: 4,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ivor Fanny wrote: »
    i think it will be replaced by

http://cockshopping.webeden.co.uk/

i think the name might put some people off :D
  • Options
    hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well we need a music channel that actually plays music (Yes, I'm looking at you VIVA/4Music) I would suggest CS Dance, The Box etc.

Also, I want JML Direct TV now that The Store is no longer a store because it only plays Jackpot 247. Or Best Direct but the fact it was took off Virgin Media brings me no hope

And couldn't you change 37 back to SD or am I missing something?

Vintage TV would be perfect as that can mop up the older freeview audience sometimes.
  • Options
    Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,112
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In the old day folk on these boards would indulge in 'fantasy threads', asking why freeview hasn't got uk gold on it. Stuff like that. These days were a lot more realistic in our expectations......

This is my list of, currenty free to air, channels I'd like to see.....

1: the horror channel.
    2:nhk world
    3:kix
    4:vintage tv
    5:CBS action

Of course, a lot more shopping channels are gonna have to go to fit them all on :D
  • Options
    paul_mpaul_m Posts: 1,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    Freeview is so exciting, it really make me think that I am missing something by not having a Tv licence. Talk of channels repeating stuff time and time again.
    Talk of a poster repeating stuff time and time again!
  • Options
    richard_g_ukrichard_g_uk Posts: 1,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just checked on Freesat (and confirmed in their change log) that Bid and Price Drop have been removed today. I would have thought they would have been removed on DTT also but I see they are still showing the "technical fault" screen.

Just for info: still on the Virgin Media EPG and showing the "technical fault" screen.
  • Options
    Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,112
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Delete.... Talking out of my arse. Sorry:blush:
  • Options
    SonOfPurpleSonOfPurple Posts: 2,654
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Over in the satellite weekly thread I've suggested some operators - free and pay - who may be interested in the Sky EPG slots of bid and price drop, mostly for their own concerns and potentially not using the same transmission capacity, but on Freeview the situation differs as the capacity (a scarce resource on DTT) is technically more valuable than the LCNs (which DMOL is willing to hand out - Sky has frozen out 'new' SD channel allocations). So the situation here will be different than on satellite.
    I can see ITV potentially keeping hold of the bid stream on SDN, potentially using it to migrate ITV4 up from ARQB, freeing up this capacity (depending on what ITV's contractual arrangements with Arqiva are), or possibly using the SDN slot to extend ITV3 +1 fulltime (in turn expanding ITV4 +1 into the evening slot currently held by ITV3 +1, and these +1 slots then departing as space becomes needed for ITVbe and other new ITV channels in the longer term.
    Alternatively, ITV (as owner of SDN) may choose to sublet the bid slot out on a short-lease to another broadcaster ahead of any new launch, in the manner of speed auction taking up a brief residency on what eventually became Movie Mix.
  • Options
    epsilonepsilon Posts: 4,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can see ITV potentially keeping hold of the bid stream on SDN, potentially using it to migrate ITV4 up from ARQB, freeing up this capacity (depending on what ITV's contractual arrangements with Arqiva are), or possibly using the SDN slot to extend ITV3 +1 fulltime (in turn expanding ITV4 +1 into the evening slot currently held by ITV3 +1, and these +1 slots then departing as space becomes needed for ITVbe and other new ITV channels in the longer term.
    Alternatively, ITV (as owner of SDN) may choose to sublet the bid slot out on a short-lease to another broadcaster ahead of any new launch, in the manner of speed auction taking up a brief residency on what eventually became Movie Mix.

All very well until you consider that the bid slot is actually an 8am to midnight slot on Arqiva A and isn't actually on SDN at all.

Bid's previous slot was on SDN but ended on 31st of March, being replaced by CBS Reality. Bid transferred to Price-drops former slot on Arqiva A, with reduced hours.
  • Options
    SonOfPurpleSonOfPurple Posts: 2,654
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    epsilon wrote: »
    All very well until you consider that the bid slot is actually an 8am to midnight slot on Arqiva A and isn't actually on SDN at all.

Bid's previous slot was on SDN but ended on 31st of March, being replaced by CBS Reality. Bid transferred to Price-drops former slot on Arqiva A, with reduced hours.

Whoops. I remembered one of the two had moved to COM7 - given that PD had dropped off my SD box - but forgot that the other slot had shifted off SDN. Ignore my guff above, then - just assume that once the dust has settled, and unless the administrators sell off the remaining Freeview contracts as an asset of the company (if that's allowed), Arqiva will simply readvertise the vacated capacity in the usual manner.
  • Options
    richard_g_ukrichard_g_uk Posts: 1,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just checked on Freesat (and confirmed in their change log) that Bid and Price Drop have been removed today. I would have thought they would have been removed on DTT also but I see they are still showing the "technical fault" screen.

Just for info: still on the Virgin Media EPG and showing the "technical fault" screen.

Removed from the Virgin Media EPG as well now.

Seems it's only DTT that's still carrying the "technical fault" screens. I wonder if they will be removed next Tuesday?