Options

Recommend a Pace Twin replacement?

Hi All,

After many years I'm looking to upgrade my Pace Twin PVR. Can you lot help me find the right box for me? What I want is;

- Twin tuner PVR
- Record 2 channels at once is a bomus
- HD would be brilliant
- iPlayer or other IPTV could be fun

Possibly the most important thing is a goot (high quality) remote control.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks in advance
i79

Comments

• Options
    Brava 210Brava 210 Posts: 447
    Forum Member
    Humax HDR FOX £299

Digitalstream 8205 £199 - No iplayer at the moment

Both very good
  • Options
    brumlad36brumlad36 Posts: 2,802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i79 wrote: »
    Hi All,

After many years I'm looking to upgrade my Pace Twin PVR. Can you lot help me find the right box for me? What I want is;

- Twin tuner PVR
    - Record 2 channels at once is a bomus
    - HD would be brilliant
    - iPlayer or other IPTV could be fun

Possibly the most important thing is a goot (high quality) remote control.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks in advance
    i79

TVonics DTR-HD500 http://www.tvonics.com/product_support/ £229.99 at Sainsbury's online.

Chris.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    Humax HDR Fox T2. Very well respected, reliable too. Has some quite advanced media streaming capabilities and has a portal for iPlayer etc. (Not sure if the portal is actually live yet though as it has been delayed already). Available for around £299 from many places, including John Lewis. Excellent remote.

Digitalstream DHR8203/5. The 8203 is a 320Gb model, available from PC World, Currys and Amazon for £169. The 8205 is a 500Gb model available from John Lewis for £199. Excellent, very reliable and well respected. Based on the same internal hardware as the Humax above however it doesn't have the media streaming facilities. IPlayer access via the RED button due to be activated as soon as the BBC approve it. Decent, but not brilliant remote. Some of the buttons are a bit small, and it is an odd shape, but you very soon get used to it.

TVOnics DTR-HD500. Weird looking, was quite flaky but recent updates seem to have cured the majority of problems and it is now a decent buy. Around £230-£260. More traditional looking remote, but it feels decent.

Sony have also just released a Freeview HD PVR that shares the same internals as the Digitalstream and Humax, so should be just as reliable etc. It's closest to the Digitalstream in that it's feature list is almost identical, lacks the media streaming features etc. However the Sony has iPlayer access via the RED button already approved according to reports. Around £270 from a few places, rising to around £280-£300 in other's such as Sony Centre's. The best remote of the lot, looks and feels like a Sony TV remote and is solid.

However the remote shouldn't be the deal braker. Whatever machine you buy you can replace the remote with a great OneForAll Smartcontrol or Logitech Harmony 300 for around £20-£30 later on if you really can't live with the supplied one.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 136
    Forum Member
    One box appears to meet all your requirements at an unbeatable price now. Less than 150 £.

Tesco.

This is a end series but it will benefit from the latest update to come which will involve the new GUI
    AvForum

An addon to complete: the rem_record tool
  • Options
    Brava 210Brava 210 Posts: 447
    Forum Member
    lucien wrote: »
    One box appears to meet all your requirements at an unbeatable price now. Less than 150 £.

Tesco.

This is a end series but it will benefit from the latest update to come which will involve the new GUI
    AvForum

But it is not very reliable..
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7
    Forum Member

Tesco.

AvForum

Are you mad
    This technika box is a bag of Poo!
    fit for the bin only
    The TVonics Box is way better than this and with the rate that they are throwing out software updates recently looks like the customer service is sorted too
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 136
    Forum Member
    Hello Harvey
    I think your opinion no more valid.
    The box received seven major update. Each update has brought lot of improvements and added few bugs.
    Reading AVforum specially dedicated to bugs and their fixes is very instructive.

It contains 6 parts each about thousand posts
    1 starts on 3 June 2010 - 31 pages
    2 starts June 16, 2010 - 32 pages
    3 starts on 20 July 2010 - 33 pages
    4 starting on 28 August 2010 - 33 pages
    5 starts October 24, 2010 - 32 pages
    6 starts February 10, 2011 only 7 pages in over 2 months.

It is instructive to note that initially, it only takes two weeks to fill more than 1,000 complaints.

As to updates, it takes more and more time to reach one thousand complaints.

Since the last update of 10 February 2011, longer than 2 months ago just 200 posts (5 times less posts with 4 times longer)
    Especially the last posts are no more complaints but rather approvals.
    Note that this is speak out of long time true customers.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/14454049-post205.html
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/14454049-post206.html

What about magazines and their ratings ?

87% SmartBox (before 2 major Update )
    http://issuu.com/whatsatellitedigitaltv/docs/wst_technika_fetchtv

83% 3view
    http://issuu.com/whatsatellitedigitaltv/docs/3view/1

83% HD Humax Fox-T2
    http://issuu.com/whatsatellitedigitaltv/docs/humax-hd-fox-t2/1

Nevertheless, all PVR boxes have bugs.
    Even TVonics have bugs. In the Digital homepage there are 2 threads that describe them, one is:
    TVonics DTR-HV250 Problems

Regards.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    Well I personally know of three people who bought the Smartbox since the turn of the year, and all three returned it saying it was unreliable, missed recordings and locked up frequently.

Plus there's the fact that you have to register your credit card details with Fetch TV, even to use the free BBC Iplayer, the box looks incredibly cheap and tacky too.

So I still wouldn't touch it personally.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nevertheless, all PVR boxes have bugs.
    Even TVonics have bugs. In the Digital homepage there are 2 threads that describe them, one is:
    TVonics DTR-HV250 Problems

To be fair though, the last two software updates have made some of us HV-250 users (Freeview+, not Freeview HD+) very happy and my last few fellow posters on there admit this!

from that very thread:
    nebogipfel wrote: »
    Just a quick note to say that my TVonics DTR-HV250 patched to V1.2.A1409.D245 is working like a dream. All the old problems have been fixed. I haven't suffered a single missed recording, crash, freeze, reboot, problem doing instant record etc etc. It all seems to work and is much more of a pleasure to use. Such a shame for TVOnics that I posted my enormous rant above only a few days before they released the patch.

The new hi-res menu whilst still being essentially the same clear and uncluttered thing as before now has a more polished professional look to it. Same goes for things like pausing live TV etc - the old two second blank screen thing has gone and it is more slick. Doesn't materially change what it's doing, but it's nicer to use - feels more "polished". Another new feature that seems to work is that you can press a button to set a timer for a show during a trailer for it. Actually works and has been useful.

I am now glad that I didn't return it. At the moment I'm a very happy customer. A bit irritating that it took 10 months to get things right, but that's all - a bit irritating. It's not as if it was totally unusable during that time.

I'm a big fan of their "less is more" approach to functionality (I'm a fairly simple soul when it comes to telly). So I think I can at last start to recommend it - if you don't need all the functionality of the more advanced recorders out there, a patched TVOnics HV250 is a very nice thing. Looks good under the telly, too. If/when we get freeview hd round our way I will definitely be tempted to stick with TVOnics for a recorder with that capability too.